Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to deploy, how to store car

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:53 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Default About to deploy, how to store car

I'm going to be storing my car on post, so I don't have to worry about it getting stolen. I'm wondering what I should do to it before I go though. I'm going to be gone for a year. I know they make us disconnect the battery. Anything else I should do (fuel stabilizer, stuff like that)? Any car covers people would suggest?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Any nice car cover will do, and yes put a fuel stabilizer in the tank. You may also want to put the car up on jack stands too which will help keep the tires good.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:59 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

When I deployed to Bosnia, I stored my F150 off post in a storage unit. Didnt cost much and I didnt have to worry about the elements or theft. I paid a bit extra to have it started weekly. That was a waste because it was dead when I got back. lol. But that might be something to look into.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

if it were me, ( i've heard of many cars being stolen on post) jack stands, great idea, pull battery cable, and maybe even take the fuel pump fuse. something to that effect. can't be to careful lol. wheel locks. that kinda thing.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Fuel stabilizer into a half empty tank, fill-up and then be sure to put about 20 miles on it to get it thru the entire fuel system.

Fresh oil change.

A vapor barrier between the tires and concrete IF you're not putting it up on stands.

Disconnect the battery OR connect a battery tender.

If storing it indoors, most any cheap cover will do for dust protection. If outdoors, then spend good $$ on a GOOD, breathable cover.

And thanks for serving!

Last edited by Nuke; 09-24-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses. I found out it will be stored in our locked motor pool so theft shouldn't be possible (but we all know s*** happens sometimes). Theres really no storage places here that I would trust. If I were stateside that would be different. I think I'm going to invest in the jack stands. I have been told that last deployment there were a few people hand picked by the read D commander to go around and keep an eye on the cars and start them once in a while. Most cars were still dead as a door **** upon return though.

With that being said, does anyone know if this effects anything with the electrical system? I've heard some of the newer cars had problems with the security systems and the cars wouldn't start until the computer was re-flased or something. Just wondering if that would effect the warranty I have on it.

Oh, and does anyone have any recommendations on car covers? Seems to be a lot of choices out there.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 AM
CorruptedDemon60
2nd Gear Member

u shouldn't have any problems with disconnecting the battery. I drive a semi and is out 2-3 months at a time and I disconnect mine every time. I store mine with fuel stabizier(sp?), disconnect battery, and a car cover(even in the garage). The jack stand thing would be a good idea because ur gonna be gone longer than what I do. Even when I come home the first hour the car rides like crap due to the flat spot. But if u dont do the jack stand, inflate the tires to max safe PSI(check side of tire for that) so they dont flat spot as much. Good luck on the storing.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Just starting the car every week is not enough to keep the battery charged and will actually kill it faster. I would just disconnect it.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

I use a California Car Cover (
Old 09-27-2009, 08:30 PM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your service!

Quick Reply: About to deploy, how to store car