Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FORD ESP Warranty: Adding a FORD OEM Strut Tower Brace to 18" wheels

Old 09-25-2009, 03:01 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Default FORD ESP Warranty: Adding a FORD OEM Strut Tower Brace to 18" wheels

Folks,

I have purchased an extended Ford ESP.

I have also read 2 recent, separate threads:

(1) Regarding the voiding of FORD warranties with aftermarket mods

(2) Regarding the use of a FORD OEM Strut Tower Brace on a GT with 18" wheels. (It isn't standard w/18" wheels, only 19" wheels -- and the specs say either to be used only with 19" wheels, or comes only with 19" wheels -- I'm unsure.)

I have 18" wheels, and added the Ford OEM Strut Tower Brace (part # AR3Z16A200A) myself.

QUESTION:

Could Ford deny any part of my warranty coverage because I added a strut brace to a vehicle with 18" wheels?

Could a dealer get snippy and say that since it wasn't standard on the factory issued car, I lose out on my warranty coverage?

I'm stretching things here in that the part (the brace) is of limited affect towards the engine and drivetrain (suspension notwithstanding), but with warranties being what they are (litigious and wordy), I don't want to risk sqaut.

Tell me I'm being overly paranoid, worrying unnecessarily, and am OK. But in actuality, tell me the truth, if you know!

Thank you.

P.S. No, I haven't asked Ford myself, and I also realize I could easily just take it off prior to any warranty work. But I'd still like to know ...

Last edited by 7up; 09-25-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added part number
Old 09-25-2009, 03:07 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 10GTPony
Folks,

I have 18" wheels, and added the Ford OEM Strut Tower Brace (part # AR3Z16A200A) myself.

QUESTION:

Could Ford deny any part of my warranty coverage because I added a strut brace to a vehicle with 18" wheels?

Could a dealer get snippy and say that since it wasn't standard on the factory issued car, I lose out on my warranty coverage?

I'm stretching things here in that the part (the brace) is of limited affect towards the engine and drivetrain (suspension notwithstanding), but with warranties being what they are (litigious and wordy), I don't want to risk sqaut.

Tell me I'm being overly paranoid, worrying unnecessarily, and am OK. But in actuality, tell me the truth, if you know!

Thank you.

P.S. No, I haven't asked Ford myself, and I also realize I could easily just take it off prior to any warranty work. But I'd still like to know ...
Bullitts have 18s and strut tower braces.....
Get a FRPP brace and it will void a warranty none far so.
Simply getting steering wheel wrap constitutes a warranty voiding situation.
And forget about non warranty voiding tint on the windows...
And your wallet must be in your right rear pocket for the seat warranty to be valid. And so on.
If Ford wants to invalidate your warranty from a certain mod, you will loose.
So fear Ford or go on your happy modding ways and live another day...
Old 09-25-2009, 03:28 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
So fear Ford or go on your happy modding ways and live another day...
I like that...

This isn't what I was looking for, but it's like Shakespeare once said:

"Cowards die many times before their death; the valiant never taste death but once."

You have a way with words...

(Please don't get on me for quoting Shakespeare; it's one of the few quotes I know from the guy -- and for some reason, that one stuck with me.)
Old 09-25-2009, 03:47 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

You should never fear any dealership or manufacturer.

The real answer is no a strut tower bar will not void your warranty.
They also have to prove that the aftermarket part is the cause of your problem if they are considering voiding your warranty.

Don't fall for the FRPP or some other brands that the dealer sells as being the only part they will warranty. It is piece of mind of course to have them install it, but they are no different than aftermarket parts....except for the sometime higher price. I'm pretty sure most if not all FRPP are re-badged aftermarket parts anyway.

Could a dealer get "snippy" and tell you they are voiding it? Sure, we all know there are some very stupid people that the dealerships.

I have always had modified cars and never had any problems with the dealerships trying to void any warranties, especially Ford which seemed the most mod friendly dealership.

Have fun modding.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:37 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BL00DSH0T
You should never fear any dealership or manufacturer.

The real answer is no a strut tower bar will not void your warranty.
They also have to prove that the aftermarket part is the cause of your problem if they are considering voiding your warranty.

Don't fall for the FRPP or some other brands that the dealer sells as being the only part they will warranty.
I agree: we (me) should never fear a dealership; yet I interact with them on such a limited basis (haven't had a new car in countless years, so I've always been a DIY or mom & pop shop guy), I don't know what to expect.

Actually, upon delivery, the sales advisor mentioned that they hold "Mustang Club" meetings at their dealership (many dealerships do, though.)

I was even being 'pushed' as to what can be modded after I take hold of the vehicle ("You'll have a great time with all kinds of aftermarket stuff, etc...). Then again, who knows if this was a ploy to get me to void my warranty early? (Jeez, I have a dark outlook on things, I'm realizing... huh?)

And I did buy a genuine Ford Part, which gives me some measure of comfort (not a FRPP, but an actual OEM part).

Thing of it is, after shelling out all the money for the ESP (which its merits can be debated in a separate thread), I don't want to lose the benefits.

In short, well put, BL00DSH0T ;-)

Last edited by 7up; 09-25-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-25-2009, 04:44 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

This is silly. A strut tower brace will not void your warranty, If a dealership gives you trouble, run to the next.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
This is silly. A strut tower brace will not void your warranty, If a dealership gives you trouble, run to the next.
Fully agree -- silly.

It is only after I read this post that I got a bit spooked:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/6523388-post26.html

Poster AJ_68 somewhat cleared it up in the post right after it, but I'm just keeping my ears open.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:17 PM
SMiller
2nd Gear Member

Your dealer is going to see the strut tower brace and think that it came on the car and not think twice about it. That is the nice part about a Ford parts item. And the dealer has to prove that the item you added caused the problem.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:03 PM
millpond
1st Gear Member

like Shakespeare once said:

"Cowards die many times before their death; the valiant never taste death but once."
Love the quote...10GTPony, you just raised the level of the forum several notches!

Last edited by millpond; 09-25-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I like that...

This isn't what I was looking for, but it's like Shakespeare once said:

You have a way with words...

(Please don't get on me for quoting Shakespeare; it's one of the few quotes I know from the guy -- and for some reason, that one stuck with me.)
Good info. I always thought Yogi Berra said that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FORD ESP Warranty: Adding a FORD OEM Strut Tower Brace to 18" wheels