Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone with roush rear springs only

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:24 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

You'll find the majority of "mods" are nothing more then a waste of time and money.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:14 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

But not the Roush Rear springs and matching shocks.
Yes its more harsh but it handles like a go-cart and
the wheel hoppage is G O N E.
Put poly bushings on your panhard bar and sway bar
for the full effect.
Its 100% better handling. WTF was Ford thinking,
no rear sway and all these rubber control arm bushings....

If you leave the OEM shocks, they will toast out faster from
the Roush springs? Best to get the matching shocks as well.

ps the springs go in with the word ROUSH rightside up

Just saw the 'i dont want improved handling, just a rear body drop'.
Stick some Roush Rears in there but the ride will suffer.
You will feel EVERY bump. I want that, but you seem to not...
Attached Thumbnails anyone with roush rear springs only-roushrearsprings.jpg   anyone with roush rear springs only-springsshocks.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 09-26-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:49 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scorpio333
A week after installing the springs I wanted to take them off due to the harshness or more specifically the unequalness. Concrete roads were unbearable, but back curvy roads were awesome. The rear end lost its tendency to roll over in corners, but added a tendency of 'rocking horse' front to rear. The spring rates in the front and rear are now different, so they both handle bumps differently, the front is mellow the rear bangs. If you don't want to lower all four corners, that's just how it's going to be.
Thanks.. I would have written more, but I have been dealing with a keyboard that doesn't want to type half of the keys I press... Exactly how I felt about them. The only thing I would add, is that in a hard turn at speed, depending on what part of the turn I was in and where the weight was being transfered to would determine which handling characteristics the springs would impart... diving into a turn or having to brake midturn where the fronts where in control, it handled stock-ish. Accelerating out of a turn, it was nice and stable. Anytime you had to transition from an accelerating to braking ito a turn, the car would go ape, and I would end up fighting it.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:53 AM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

Maybe I should just come right out and explain what I'd like to do. Is it possible to make my rear end lower WITHOUT making the ride more harsh. I don't drive my car hard its all about the look for me. Especially, because it's my daily driver. I want that lower rear end look but I want the ride as soft as possible even if that means going softer with shocks or whatever. Mustang looks with a Cadillac ride.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Glad I read this I was looking at doing that sometime too, but I don't mind the stock ride, but don't want to get much harsher.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:29 AM
unleashedgt
1st Gear Member

Starfire you will love the roush rear springs.. Levels the car and i cant feel hardly any difference in the ride.. Go for it!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I put the eibach pro kit on my car with stock shocks. Fairly rough but I like the car to not be mushy. It doesn't bounce at all over bumps, just bumps and its done. If I had to do it over again I would do it exactly the same way. I put them on expecting the stock shocks not to work very long but they have still been going strong. I think I have 46k on the car and about 25k of that with the springs. Older people dont like the car to be a rough ride but I love the way the car handles now.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Maybe I should just come right out and explain what I'd like to do. Is it possible to make my rear end lower WITHOUT making the ride more harsh. I don't drive my car hard its all about the look for me. Especially, because it's my daily driver. I want that lower rear end look but I want the ride as soft as possible even if that means going softer with shocks or whatever. Mustang looks with a Cadillac ride.
well the S197 doesn't ride all that good anyway, it's a sporty-type car not a Lincoln. I put BMR's in the rear of the V6 car. It lowered it maybe 1.5", I did have to install an adj track bar, some say they don't need it, but I did. As for the ride, it's a little firmer but certainly not objectionable. I'm going to buy a set of the Roush rears for my GT and an adj panhard bar. $230 for both is pretty cheap, it does make the car look way better and doesn't affect the ride hardly at all in my opinion. The V6 is a DD for my wife, the GT is an occasional use car when it's nice outside.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:33 PM
sp44
2nd Gear Member

I was looking at doing the Roush setup but then I saw pics with the car looking more even with the front. I want it the same way is now, higher in back with no gap in back. This has lead me to buy some Steeda Ultralites for all 4 corners. Make the drop even all around and eliminate wheel gap. Perfect.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

I believe there is a company that offers springs in a kit, front and rear that drops the front .8 inches, and the reach 1.3 inches, leveling it out. Can't remember the name tho... aybe H&R or Vogt-something or other...

Quick Reply: anyone with roush rear springs only