Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard equipment--insurance discounts!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Default Standard equipment--insurance discounts!

I recently switched my insurance from CSAA (AAA) to Safeco. I had been with CSAA for 33 years, but the membership service has declined in the past few years. Not directly related to insurance--receiving old maps or told they were out of a particular map, correspondence sent to them that was not answered, lousy website, etc. IMO the executives are dorks. Membership has declined over the past couple of years. If I don't have confidence in the club, I don't want their insurance.

I think I started off by sort of hijacking my own thread!

Anyway, Safeco gave me a discount for having two front airbags. Well, that's standard equipment. They didn't show how much I saved, but they did show it as a discount that they had given to me. An information sheet said that they offered a discount for a passive disabling device. I telephoned my insurance agent and asked whether the PATS feature, which is standard equipment, qualified for a discount. He said it did. I received a check from Safeco and the Anti-Theft discount now appears on my insurance declarations page.

You might want to check with your insurance agent to make sure you are getting all the discounts that are available. Sometimes an insurance company might miss giving you a discount on something that is standard equipment on your car.

I saved $250 a year in premiums by switching.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:44 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

congrats Art, it's always a great feeling to save money. just make sure that not only is your overall coverage the same, but how your car would be repaired if you were to ever be in an accident.

example: when my wife and I first met, she was with progressive. she got into an accident with her Nissan 200SX and we took the car to a body shop where we knew the owner. the progressive agent was going to require us to use some off the wall part that would have needed major altering to fit the car in lieu of genuine Nissan parts. we sat down with progressive agent and their hand book stated that they were inclined to use whatever parts necessary to make any and all repairs.....which was why my wife had such low rates. fortunately the body shop owner worked it out so we could get Nissan parts, because he said they would have spent more time trying to fit the parts that progressive was wanting to supply.