Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting cam covers/TB - opened pandora's box

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:51 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

Default Painting cam covers/TB - opened pandora's box

Well, after reading about this I decided I might as well do it seeing as I had my wisdom teeth pulled two days ago and had some down time. So this morning I started tearing into my beloved stang, but after a throbbing jaw and a few hours I now have done the painting and will wait till tomorrow to reinstall. But idk about putting the cam covers back on - it was super tight getting them out, and I'm just gonna have to pray I get gasket to line up when squeezing the cover back under those wires. when will I learn...
Old 09-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Miracle
1st Gear Member

Getting the cam covers back on is easy man... just remember to use some BLACK silicone at the joint where the timing cover, cam cover, and block meet.

The gaskets are pressed in to the cover itself, so all you have to do is ensure that the whole gasket is still inside it's groove, place your silicone, place the cover on the head and start 2 different bolts at cross-corners on the cover, and you will be fine.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:57 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

what wires??? you are supposed to remove the coil packs and hoist the harness above the valve covers, basically sit the harness on the intake manifold. there should be plenty of access space on both sides. you may have to remove the oil dip stick on the drivers side but that should be it, i didnt even have to do that.

you say get the gasket to line up. you need to put the gasket back on the valve cover itself. there is a groove on the under side to place it in. just sit the valve covers back over the bolt holes easily. the gasket wont fall out.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:04 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

thanks for the positive feedback. I'm going to look and see if there's something else I can disconnect to get the harness further out of the way, but it was pretty tight coming out. I think I might just be getting tired and grumpy from too much activity after mouth surgery.
here's the work station...haha
Old 09-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Miracle
1st Gear Member

Yeah I did mine while I had the harness all the way out of the loom when I did my supercharger install...

Right after this:

:lol:
Old 09-27-2009, 07:24 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miracle
Yeah I did mine while I had the harness all the way out of the loom when I did my supercharger install...

Right after this:

:lol:
wow, that looks a bit nuts. Maybe one day when I've got more cash and know how I'll be able to get my hands that dirty
Old 09-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

You don't have to hoist anything out of the way, just slide them under. You really are making this harder than it has to be. Should only be about an hour and a half install.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:59 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
You don't have to hoist anything out of the way, just slide them under. You really are making this harder than it has to be. Should only be about an hour and a half install.

very true...but it is better to get that harness up a little bit to ease the installation. just assures that you wont put any knicks in that fresh paint job.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:05 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mac10chap
very true...but it is better to get that harness up a little bit to ease the installation. just assures that you wont put any knicks in that fresh paint job.
Ya, one of the problems I had getting it out was the bolts kept getting hung up. I'm going to remove the COPs when I go to do the reinstall.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

You didn't remove the COP's??? Dude, just follow this...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ll-w-pics.html

Quick Reply: Painting cam covers/TB - opened pandora's box