Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Muffler exhaust on a lowered car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Default Mid Muffler exhaust on a lowered car?

Im looking to lower my car more than the normal prokit that everone does. I have about 3.5" of wheel gap in the rear and about 2.25" up front. The prokit would only make my car look normal, i want it to look lowered. Id like the get the sportline or SS from H&R but my concern has most are when lowering is scraping under the car. I have m-80s welded in and there about 4.5" away from the ground. compared to the frame rails at 5.5-6" away.

Im not worried about the frame hitting if i go sportlines or SS but the clearence of my m-80s has me worried. If get ~2" drop that will put the m-80s ~ 2.5" away from the ground. Im not sure how much that 2.5" gets used up while going over railroads and humps in the road. I know have atleast 2-3 sets of speed bumps that will deff hit because ive parked on top of them and theres only about an 1" between the hump and the m-80. but i can avoid them.

Does anyone on here have any problems with there and what ever type of drop you have?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:43 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

You might have some problems with scraping. i have only roush rear springs and i bottomed out on a raised manhole cover last week! didnt do any damage..but scared the hell outta me
Old 09-29-2009, 02:04 PM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

I scrape my mid muffs all the damn time on my complex speed bumps, worse with people in the car.

Im lowered on Steeda Sports
Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM
chrismakk69
1st Gear Member

I've got the pro kit and I rarely scrape - the only time I really scrape is on speedbumps with people in the car...

I try to avoid hitting any real bumps like the plague though...

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with the pro kit.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
06SSilverGT

the only thing u gotta remember is to drive slowly over speed bumps and u wont scrap @ all.

also, if scraping if an issue for you, do NOT EVER consider a chinspoiler.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I scrape with the frpp 1.5" springs, but not my mid mufflers because they are tucked up near the gas tank. My stock pipes scrape around the mid pipe.

Why do you think your car won't look lowered?
Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 PM
TorchRed04GT
2nd Gear Member

I have not had any issues with scraping at all. I am lowered with the super sports as well. I also have 2 resonators welded into my mid pipe and they do not rub and they are the lowest point on the car.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:15 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I scrape with the frpp 1.5" springs, but not my mid mufflers because they are tucked up near the gas tank. My stock pipes scrape around the mid pipe.

Why do you think your car won't look lowered?
The way i look at my car is that its a truck stance. The pro kit too me is where the mustang should sit, i will deff do this drop but if i can get the stance im looking for w/o scraping to bad id like it. It doesnt look lowerd to me even though it is, which is why id like the SS or the sportlines becuase it will look lowered. Thursday im gonna mount some taps by the cats and M80s that will hang about 2" lower and drive around. If they scrape like crazy ill know that the SS or sportline is a bad idea.

I do have a lip, GT-500 modded to the GT bumper. Its about 4.5" at its lowest point from the ground. If i scrape that a little thats ok. Its just the exhaust has near no give, so i fear if i scrape that it may jar the system and start bending stuff. I dont care about scraping, but when it could start messing stuff up is when i care.

Why did ford give the car 5" of wheel gap and only 4" of ground clearnce whyyyyy Im looking for the H&R adjustable coil over spring pocket to see if i can buy that and add that to the SS to raise he back up a little if i scrape too bad.

Also i am running stock 17 with 235/55's. the tires are shot and ill need new ones next month for inspection. so im not going to be adding bigger wheels anytime soon. I know that helps in the over all stance
Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I scraped mine several times on speed bumps with HR race springs. I fly over them with my steeda comps. I don't ever recall scraping anything with the steeda comps so I'm pretty brave about rolling over things now ;-). I can even exit my 45 degree parking garage with lip at the bottom w/o scraping my chin spoiler. Car looks good with the drop they provide and I don't have to worry.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:28 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I scraped mine several times on speed bumps with HR race springs. I fly over them with my steeda comps. I don't ever recall scraping anything with the steeda comps so I'm pretty brave about rolling over things now ;-). I can even exit my 45 degree parking garage with lip at the bottom w/o scraping my chin spoiler. Car looks good with the drop they provide and I don't have to worry.
So are you running H&R or the steedas? Also what sice wheels are you running

Quick Reply: Mid Muffler exhaust on a lowered car?