Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering New 2010 GT - Have Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

I had the dealer add the spoiler, it was $500 total. I shopped around some, and having the dealer do it was the best value I could find on the real 2010 GT-500 spoiler that I wanted. The pedestal style spoiler was a little more. They had it painted somewhere else, but I don't think it was painted from the factory. It matches perfectly. I love the gurney flap, it really looks cool.

They had a Kona Blue with Grabber Blue solid stripe on the lot. Not sure I liked the color combo. I'd think the stripes would be a pretty easy install for most good body shops if you wanted to do that later.

Everything I've read has praised the track pack. I won't be going to the track anytime soon, but for me this option was a "why not". Seems like it makes the car that much more capable, and the tires alone retail for more than $1200.

Skip the comfort and navigation stuff, this is a muscle car. Wimps need directions and ***-heaters!!

The lack of a spare tire was intentional as per the track pack, says mr. dealership. Not sure why, or how I feel about this, but it does have the roadside assistance so...

No shaker 1000 with track pack, but you can add a better sub and amp for less, and even replace the other speakers, or add more speakers for less.

You are forced to get the Premium trim with track pack.

I gathered this list from websites, my window sticker had far less details.

Track Pack: $1500

3.73 gears
Limited-slip differential (dont they all?)
Dual-piston front calipers with performance brake pads
GT-500 Front and rear anti-roll bars
GT-500 Rear lower trailing links
GT-500 Front upper strut mounts
Unique set of dampers
Strut tower brace
19 inch aluminum wheels
Pirelli P Zero summer performance tires 255/40ZR
Recalibrated stability control
Old 10-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

The Track Pack is the way to go if you are planning on not doing a whole bunch of mods to your Mustang. It will also add to the value of it much more than if you installed all that stuff yourself. If the cost isn't an issue I'd recommend it.

As far as stripes, there are dozens of places that do those advertisements on the sides of cars here that should be able to do it for less than the dealership. Most factory stripes don't last long enough to add value the way those other nice options will.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:08 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

This helped me decide not to get the Track Pack and just go with the 3.73 package (plus I really wanted the glass roof).

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2009/0...s-modern-soul/

I like this quote from the author (in the responses):

This was not a Track Pack car, although other members of the media have driven this same car and reported on the "vast improvements" provided by Track Pack.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:15 AM
rexrcr

I have a base GT w/3.73 axle option only and love it. I purchased in May ($27,700.00) and Track Pack wasn't avail... also looked like the Track Pack was only avail on GT Premium making it a much more expensive proposition.

I didn't want the premium extras, just performance. The base GT suspension is very well balanced, I bought my car for work... I own a performance drivers school.

Only thing I don't like about the car is the seat, it's horrible and likely first upgrade.

Here's mine:

I do like the styling of the optional 19" wheels but still like the standard 18" which is what I have.

Best,
Rob
Old 10-01-2009, 09:01 AM
TrickyRic
1st Gear Member

I didn't get the track pack. I do have the 19" wheels. I did not get the 3.73 gears although I do definately see why many want them...it's just that gas mileage was a big concern and my "racing" days are over. I just wanted a new Mustang that handles very good and can put a smile on my face when I do punch the throttle..mine does that.
Because I didn't get the 3.37 package I don't have the upgraded brakes, but I am satisfied with the brakes I have. If you really plan on pushing to it's limits often than you probably be happiest with the track pack option.

Mine is a GT Premium, manual. A big put off for me about the track pack was the summer tires. I know,I know, that's what most of you want, but here in the Northeast we do get snow, sometimes alot of snow and the track pack would have forced me to buy another set of tires for winter driving. BTW, those "**** warmers" are really nicer than sitting on COLD leather seats on cold winter days. I love leather seating which almost mandates the heaters unless I move much further south, which ain't happening anytime soon.

THE REASON I DID NOT GET THE FACTORY STRIPES and got mine done locally. I wanted the silver LeMans style two wide stripes like the GT500 and I wanted stripes that come all the way down the front, including the bumper. Ford doesn't offer that for the GT, only the GT500.

To each their own...that's why Ford gives us options.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:39 AM
rexrcr

Originally Posted by TrickyRic
Because I didn't get the 3.37 package I don't have the upgraded brakes, but I am satisfied with the brakes I have. ....
Brake "upgrade" consists of pad material change to Performance Friction Z-Rated (up to 1000 degF) pads front and rear. No other change to hardware, same caliper and rotor.

PFC Z-Rated pads are $49.00 for front (PFC1080.10) set and $44.00 rear (PFC1082.10) from www.raceshopper.com.

I run Hawk HT-10 on-track but only 'cause I want additional heat capacity.

Best,
Rob

BTW, 2010 is first year for Stability Control on Mustang... if you're pushing the car on-track you must turn off stability control or burn through rear pads in 20 minutes... Press and hold brake, then press and hold Stability Control/ Traction Control button (next to shifter) for about 10 seconds. One quick press only turns off Traction Control.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:54 PM
TrickyRic
1st Gear Member

Thanks, That brake pad info will be good to know when I ready...and I'm sure it's useful info to others as well.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Popeyejon
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=FastDEW;6536930]Oh, I read this after I did the other reply.

So the difference between the Track Pack and the 3.73 is the front strut brace and the different springs, dampers?

Is that it?

Does the 3.73 still come with a spare tire then?[/QUOTE

Strut tower brace comes with the 19" Rim/Tire options.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 PM
sterling_gray

Yes the 3.73 (Called Track Pack I here) comes with a spare tire. I then got the 19'' wheels which adds the front strut brace but not the rear one. The Pack II has a read rear and this is why they have to delete the spare tire and can not install the Shaker 1000.

I too was going back between track Track Pack I and II but at the end got Track Pack I since I wanted the Shaker 1000 and the spoiler and the spare tire. I was anyway considering getting lowering springs which would mean removing these track pack II springs anyway.

If I just could have gotten a TMS delete ....

Last edited by sterling_gray; 10-02-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:04 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Thanks to all for the very informative replies. I have decided to order the 3.73 package and get the factory stripes on my Kona blue GT Premium.

The article posted by the way was terrific read and certainly helped me make the decision to forgo the track pack.

If I were to plan on racing the vehicle on a track, then I would go for the track pack, but otherwise for the street it sounds like it is too much for me.

Thanks again!!!!

Quick Reply: Ordering New 2010 GT - Have Question