Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed JBA shorty headers = massive PITA

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Default Installed JBA shorty headers = massive PITA

I started the install at 9:30 am this morning, but didn't get everything wrapped up until 6:00 pm. This is with 2 people working and air tools. Had to remove the starter, both motor mounts, the battery and tray, disconnect the steering linkage, and jack up the engine. The biggest problem is that many of the bolts are in a very tight space and are very hard to get to. You need plenty of patience, ratcheting wrenches, and a good set of mechanics gloves. This is definitely a two person job in my opinion.

The worst parts of the install are getting the passenger side motor mount bolts off and tightening the header to H Pipe bolts provided by JBA. They aren't studs and it is next to impossible to get a wrench around them on the drivers side.

I haven't really had an opportunity to get on it much so I can't really comment about the performance yet. The sound of the exhaust did not change much, it certainly did not get much louder. Maybe a little more burbly. Inside the car sounds very different. When you get on the gas there is a chattery rattly sound that sounds like an exhaust leak. But outside the car and revving it you can't hear the noise, like you could if it were an exhaust leak. I am not sure if I have a small exhaust leak at the drivers side collector or some wierd sound is coming through the sound tube. I will try to retighten the bolts in a few days to see if that changes anything. If that does not work I might try to disconnect the sound tube to see if that is the source.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:09 PM
projectbrembo
2nd Gear Member

For all the effort, you could have installed long tubes with cats. Just my 2cents
Old 10-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Gun Jam

The exhaust header or pipes isnt making contact with any part of the car is it? That could be one source of the new sound.

-Gun
Old 10-03-2009, 11:54 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

I bet you could do it a lot faster a second time! I was lucky with my long tubes, did not have to disconnect steering. I pulled the bottom brace, lifted the engine andthey slid right in.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:38 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

The install isn't as bad as you make it seem, it just takes time and patience, I just finished up installing my BBK shorties too. I also think I have a leak, but I am not sure as well. As for the noise, I had a rattling noise at low RPM's, turned out to be my drivers side heat shield, I took it off and now it's ok.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

I have had more of a chance to drive around with the new headers and can say that they definitely made a noticeable improvement. The midrange (3000 rpm to 5000rpm) pulls harder and accelerates quicker. If you shift quickly, the 1-2 upshift chirps the tires more as the upshift lands you smack in the middle of the midrage power boost. It makes a nice difference on the highway and around town where you spend most of your time driving anyways.

I definitely have an exhaust leak. It ticks like crazy on startup for about a minute then goes away when the car is warmed up. It ticks and chatters after it warms up but only when you get on the gas. I retightened the header to head bolts, but haven't been able to get at the header to H Pipe bolts. That is where the noise is probably coming from. But because the sound goes away once the car heats up, that makes me think it is the exhaust gasket heating up and sealing the leak. But those bolts are on there nice and tight and I can't imagine it could leak.