Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20+ MPG City with fuel filter change...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Yes, all gas comes from the same place, but the holding tanks can be 20-30 years old and who knows what kind of dirt and **** gets down in there during filling and also from the tank rusting or wearing
Old 10-05-2009, 12:18 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

My tech days the same thing. One tank of bad gas and your not going to like the results. Never try and save a few $ when it comes to the stang. Highest oct at name brand stations. i prefer 76. Oh and when should one change the fuel filter?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've seen various recommendations for replacing the fuel filter including the 15,000 miles mentioned above. I currently have 32,000 miles on mine and I'm considering replacing it in the near-term ONLY because of what those on the forum that have changed them by 30,000 miles have seen. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd even think about it until the 50,000 -60,000 mark.

Autozone sells it for under $10 and the replacement is rather easy. See this:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=319&viewfile=Fuel%20Filter.pdf

Here's the section on depressurizing the system although some say it's not necessary:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=315&viewfil...%20Release.pdf

Last edited by Nuke; 10-05-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
rcj2000
3rd Gear Member

how hard is it to change. i mean they are very cheap on 13 bucks so why not replace them 15k
Old 10-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
Yes, all gas comes from the same place, but the holding tanks can be 20-30 years old and who knows what kind of dirt and **** gets down in there during filling and also from the tank rusting or wearing
oh boy, another myth. My buddy and his wife inspect tanks for a living for the EPA back in NJ where i'm from... No such thing as you stated above. The tanks have a limited life span after then they get dug up and replaced. Plus common sense tells us anything in those tanks have settled on the bottom... The tanks are emptied and filled with gas on a weekly basis. My buddy does tell me he could be rich if he took the bribes they offer him and his wife.

For S197winstang,
Exxon doesn't sell Exxon gas, Citigo stations don't sell Citigo gas. Your tech is an idiot. There is a local terminal, the local gas stations hire an independent tanker to go to the that terminal and buy gas and ship it to their local station. Example. A Exxon station hires a tanker to go down to the local Citgo terminal and buy gas and deliver it to them. They add in any detergents later on. How can they do this? There is only X amount of refineries and all of them run thru a part of Oak in a massive pipeline. So from your small mom and pop gas station to exxon, it's all the same gas.

Think about it, how does Exxon get gas in the more rural corners of this Country? Do you think they truck that gas all the way from their terminal or refinery or think they have pipelines going everywhere? The difference between an exxon station and a citgo station is the signs, that's it. Change the signs, the gas stays the same.

I'm trying to help you guys out. Stop wasting your money. Leave your FF alone, change it at 60k and then replace your injectors at 100k and be done with it.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

For those wanting to change it...
The removal/installation is very simple. It is mounted under the the car on the driver's side hidden by a black cover.

First you would have to relieve the fuel system pressure by opening the hood and removing the cover to the fuse box. Next pull the relay for the fuel pump(mine was #21 ). Try to start the engine a few times to make sure the pump is off. Then diconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Raise the car and support it on jack stands. Locate the black cover near the rocker panel and remove the associated nuts and fasteners. Next, you will need to release the green clips to remove the lines. Be sure to gentle push in on the center of the clip and slide the line off. It is easier to disconnect the clip on the engine side first because it's rubber and can flex to help. Remove the other clip and loosen the nut on the omounting bracket holding the filter to the frame. Slide the filter out toward the engine side and replace with new filter. Make sure you install the filter with arrow (printed on the filter) facing the same way as the old one. Now reverse all the steps and your done.

Last edited by degeze; 10-07-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
I'm trying to help you guys out. Stop wasting your money. Leave your FF alone, change it at 60k and then replace your injectors at 100k and be done with it.
that is almost like telling someone to use water to flush their oil out of the engine

In the owners manual...the maintenance section.
Fuel Filters are required every 30,000 miles.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com

click on the "Owners Guide" on the left column. Feel free to read up on the Maintenance Requirements for a 2000+ Ford. Specifically a 2005+ Mustang.
Despite what you & your buddy think, gas stations do get bad gas, tanks rust out, and your own vehicle gas tank can screw you.

Yes, rust/debris settles out...and the suctions for the tanks is where?...that's right, at the bottom of the tank. otherwise, the Gas Station would have ???? gallons of fuel sitting there each time they run low.

Waiting 60,000 miles to do a FF change is pure and simple stupid. Some people just don't know better...which sucks. At least they have a reason.
even 30,000 miles is too long IMO. 15k is a just a little bit over 1yr frequency for most driver (12k yearly driving).

the job is extremely easy to perform, and does nothing but help your car. not to mention each filter is at max $20 + 1 hour (maybe) of your time.

if the filter is dirty, you are placing extra backpressure on the fuel pump, starving the injectors...and this all causes your vehicle to lose performance and MPG's.

some things are stupid precuations and can be ignored. a FF is like changing your Oil & filter. they are a requirement to keep the motor happy and in top condition
Old 10-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
Exxon doesn't sell Exxon gas, Citigo stations don't sell Citigo gas. Your tech is an idiot. There is a local terminal, the local gas stations hire an independent tanker to go to the that terminal and buy gas and ship it to their local station. Example. A Exxon station hires a tanker to go down to the local Citgo terminal and buy gas and deliver it to them. They add in any detergents later on. How can they do this? There is only X amount of refineries and all of them run thru a part of Oak in a massive pipeline. So from your small mom and pop gas station to exxon, it's all the same gas.
The additives can make a difference. If you buy Chevron, you know you are getting the Techron additive. If you buy Brand X, you might get a blend of any number of brands, with additives that might not be all that effective when blended together.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
that is almost like telling someone to use water to flush their oil out of the engine

In the owners manual...the maintenance section.
Fuel Filters are required every 30,000 miles.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com

click on the "Owners Guide" on the left column. Feel free to read up on the Maintenance Requirements for a 2000+ Ford. Specifically a 2005+ Mustang.
Despite what you & your buddy think, gas stations do get bad gas, tanks rust out, and your own vehicle gas tank can screw you.

Yes, rust/debris settles out...and the suctions for the tanks is where?...that's right, at the bottom of the tank. otherwise, the Gas Station would have ???? gallons of fuel sitting there each time they run low.

Waiting 60,000 miles to do a FF change is pure and simple stupid. Some people just don't know better...which sucks. At least they have a reason.
even 30,000 miles is too long IMO. 15k is a just a little bit over 1yr frequency for most driver (12k yearly driving).

the job is extremely easy to perform, and does nothing but help your car. not to mention each filter is at max $20 + 1 hour (maybe) of your time.

if the filter is dirty, you are placing extra backpressure on the fuel pump, starving the injectors...and this all causes your vehicle to lose performance and MPG's.

some things are stupid precuations and can be ignored. a FF is like changing your Oil & filter. they are a requirement to keep the motor happy and in top condition
Thank you. Good info, i just ordered one.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 PM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the post Tylus.

I bought mine used with 36000 miles on it, I am due for my next oil change at 45k and will change mine then because I don't know if its been changed ever.

Quick Reply: 20+ MPG City with fuel filter change...