Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springs, UDPs, or Short-Throw

Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Default Springs, UDPs, or Short-Throw

Hey guys,

I'm looking at my next set of mods, all around the same price range, and trying to figure out which will give me the most bang for my buck. I'm looking at either:

Eibach Lowering Springs
Steeda Under Drive Pulleys
MGW Short-Throw Shifter

I'm going to get all of these eventually, but I'm not sure which to get first. It's coming up on winter, and this is my daily driver, so I dunno if the springs will actually improve driveability in wet/bad traction conditions, or if it's even worth it. Does anyone actually notice a huge difference with the short-throw as well?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

I really like the stock shifter feel. I don't understand why people spend hundreds of dollars making it just a tiny bit better. I'd got for the springs. Stock Mustangs are too tall.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by replica
I really like the stock shifter feel. I don't understand why people spend hundreds of dollars making it just a tiny bit better. I'd got for the springs. Stock Mustangs are too tall.
the hurst vs OEM shifter is not even close dude!

And the pullies give you some HP while the springs give you some style....what do you like more? Both are worthwhile upgrades
Old 10-07-2009, 01:45 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I say the springs, it is a good improvement over stock. The short throw is personal preference, and the UDP's ... meh..
Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Springs give performance and looks. I would get them. I put on JUST lowering springs on my car and it looks waay better. Actually just got a compliment from a guy in a ferrari while I was driving down the road
Old 10-07-2009, 02:15 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Springs are the coolest looking mod for sure. But your getting yourself into more cost with the associated things that you'll run into. CC Plates or Camber bolts/alignment/possibly panhard bar/premature shock/strut wear.

I vote short throw
Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
Springs are the coolest looking mod for sure. But your getting yourself into more cost with the associated things that you'll run into. CC Plates or Camber bolts/alignment/possibly panhard bar/premature shock/strut wear.

I vote short throw
I think camber bolts are 40 dollars. Front end only alignment is around 30 dollars. My shocks and struts are still good and i have had the springs on for 25k miles or so and I have 46k miles on my car. I didnt need a panhard bar because the rear end was centered enough for now.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise

I vote short throw
I've lowered almost every car I've owned and the only issue I had was I ate some tires up a little faster due to putting off an alignment for the toe. Otherwise, it was a fantastic mod everytime!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:06 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I have had to put on camber bolts, adj. panhard bar, and had to replace my struts/shocks, but man my car handles like a dream now
Old 10-07-2009, 03:23 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I'm a performance guy and I did the UDPs before I did the springs. The springs are good for handling around curves if you do a lot of that kind of driving. Don't get me wrong, I love my car's stance. When I did the springs, I also replaced the shocks and struts at the same time. Saved a little bit of money

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Springs, UDPs, or Short-Throw