Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nittos are bald, what to get next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Default Nittos are bald, what to get next?

Well i had my 275 - 35- 20 Nitto's for exactly 20k miles and the thread is almost gone. Just now coming home my tire pressure got low, and i managed to pull over at a gas station and pump air (this tire has gone flat before) and make it home. So anyways, i need 2 new tires for the back, I have 20x10 wheels. I like the way the nittos grabbed on the street, but i am just wondering if there are any other tires that are better/equal or bang for the buck. I thought about just putting 20" drag radials in preparation for having a supercharger later, but this car is my daily driver so i am worried about being caught in the rain. I haven't ruled out the d/r yet, but i am leaning more towards the best/good value tire that i can run on the street to hook like a ****, but also have somewhat decent mileage out of it and be driveable in bad weather. Thanks for opinion.

Also, what is the biggest size i can run? I have eibach pro-kit on the car BTW.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Impulse Cars
Former Sponsor

Since you have the Nitto's already.....

Go with their new NT05! Its the craziest street tire we've ever tested. Hooks like a Drag Radial, has wet traction better than the BFG KDW2! Plus its just a damn cool looking tire. and they make it in the same size you have.

Without modifying anything, on a 20" rim with the correct offset, a 285 is about all you're going to get in there. 295 if you're lucky. So run the 275/35/20 and see what happens. Shoot me an e-mail for pricing on the NT05's. Check them out on Nittos site as well:

http://nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent05%2Esizes

I have run just about every 20" tire out there and I can tell you that these are the $h!t.

-Eric
Old 10-08-2009, 10:50 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

What nitto do you have? Being worn out at 20K I would have thought you had d/r already.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:44 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

^+1 agreed.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:01 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Impulse Cars
Since you have the Nitto's already.....

Go with their new NT05! Its the craziest street tire we've ever tested. Hooks like a Drag Radial, has wet traction better than the BFG KDW2! Plus its just a damn cool looking tire. and they make it in the same size you have.

Without modifying anything, on a 20" rim with the correct offset, a 285 is about all you're going to get in there. 295 if you're lucky. So run the 275/35/20 and see what happens. Shoot me an e-mail for pricing on the NT05's. Check them out on Nittos site as well:

http://nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent05%2Esizes

I have run just about every 20" tire out there and I can tell you that these are the $h!t.

-Eric
Out of the 555, INVO, and NT05 you find that the NT05 hooks better than the rest? Is there a 285 in that tires? I have the 275 but i would like a slightly bigger tire. PM me a price for 2 back ones in all those flavors.

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
What nitto do you have? Being worn out at 20K I would have thought you had d/r already.

I have the Nitto 555, the thing is that i dont do burnouts or ever took these to the track. I do launch them every now and then but i was surprised they only lasted this much.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The NT05 is closer to being a competition tire than either of the other Nittos mentioned. Actually it's one of the tires chosen by autocrossers who compete in a category that does not allow "R-compound" tires (R-comps are the autocross equivalent of drag radials). Call them midway between a good summer tire and a DR.

Things like pavement texture and inflation can and will affect tire life significantly. If your TPMS is still in operation, you shouldn't be excessively low on air. But if your 20's don't have the sensors and your tires do run a bit too low, and you take corners harder than most folks, you can EASILY cut your tire life by 1/3 even if you don't ever do burnouts and only launch hard occasionally. Trust me on this.

Norm
Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

since you have nittos on the front stay with the same i hate when ppl have diff front and rear brands on the car if you change all of them then try kdw 2 i love the look and the ride great
Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

All three of the tires mentioned are Nittos. Unfortunately, lots of people have to upgrade in stages for financial reasons.

OP - if you do get only a pair of NT05's, you should put them on the rear, and not only because of their better acceleration traction.

But keep an eye on their tread depth - NT05's are only molded with a little over 7/32" deep tread grooves, compared to most summer street tires being up around 10/32" tread depth.

Norm
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

Nitto NT05 or my personal recommendation would be the Nitto Invo's which are what I myself use. They have a 260 treadwear rating and are as sticky if not stickier than the Michelin PS2's.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:06 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
since you have nittos on the front stay with the same i hate when ppl have diff front and rear brands on the car if you change all of them then try kdw 2 i love the look and the ride great
cant afford to get all 4 right now. 2 front ones are fine anyways.

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
All three of the tires mentioned are Nittos. Unfortunately, lots of people have to upgrade in stages for financial reasons.

OP - if you do get only a pair of NT05's, you should put them on the rear, and not only because of their better acceleration traction.

But keep an eye on their tread depth - NT05's are only molded with a little over 7/32" deep tread grooves, compared to most summer street tires being up around 10/32" tread depth.
Norm
Norm, so you like the NT05 better than INVO and 555? yeah im definitely putting them in the back since my fronts are ok. I really want to have the best grip on the street.

Originally Posted by antonio1988
Nitto NT05 or my personal recommendation would be the Nitto Invo's which are what I myself use. They have a 260 treadwear rating and are as sticky if not stickier than the Michelin PS2's.
Why do you recommend the INVO, over the NT05? MY buddy has them and swears by them. i just dont have enough info to really know the difference. They are all about the same in price though.

Thanks for help guys!

Quick Reply: Nittos are bald, what to get next?