Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Track Pack / Warranty Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Default 2010 Track Pack / Warranty Questions

Well I bought my 2010 GT with the Track Pack a couple weeks ago and I've came up with a list of questions ...

1. Tire inflation kit - what the heck is this thing? Is it just an air compressor or does it put that nasty gook in your tires?

2. Oil changes - the manual says every 7500 miles ... are they insane? I'm not comfortable going that long in between oil changes ... even 5k makes me feel like I'm neglecting it. Also, I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in my old stang ... from a warranty standpoint is it "ok" to use this or do I need to be using motorcraft oil (I can't even think of a way they would check this so maybe I'm just being paranoid).

3. Ford Racing Supercharger - do you keep your warranty if you have the dealer install? If so $7k for 550hp covered by a warranty seems like a decent deal to me. If not, then I'm definitely looking elsewhere.

4. Advancetrack Sport Mode - Is this of any value or would I just be better off fully disabling the system for "spirited driving?"
Old 10-09-2009, 09:14 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

I can comment on a couple of your questions...

Originally Posted by Napoleon85
2. Oil changes - the manual says every 7500 miles ... are they insane? I'm not comfortable going that long in between oil changes ... even 5k makes me feel like I'm neglecting it. Also, I've been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in my old stang ... from a warranty standpoint is it "ok" to use this or do I need to be using motorcraft oil (I can't even think of a way they would check this so maybe I'm just being paranoid).
I hear ya.

Where I live, they deem it to be a "severe" driving climate, and thus recommend every 5000 miles instead of the 7500 miles stated. Still, I'm old school, and barely ever went 3000 miles without changing my oil.

As for the type of oil you use, I'm sure (almost) any kind of oil is OK - given the correct weight, of course. When I go in, I'm going to request Motorcraft fully synthentic, and not the blend they seem to use.

3. Ford Racing Supercharger - do you keep your warranty if you have the dealer install? If so $7k for 550hp covered by a warranty seems like a decent deal to me. If not, then I'm definitely looking elsewhere.

From what I understand, and from checking 2 differently owned Ford dealers out here, ANY modifications done to the vehicle after it leaves Ford's hands can void your warranty. This doesn't mean it will; they need to prove that said installed part was the cause of the warranty issue failure.

In my case, both service managers were so damn hesistant as soon as I brought up "I want to keep my warranty fully intact, but want to YOU guys to install Ford OEM this and that" -- they wouldn't even let me finish my statement without shaking their heads "no, we can't guarantee anything after a mod, even if it is done by us, using OEM parts."

But as one of them said, it's a gamble: you may very well have no problems and nothing bad will come of it.

As a poster said to me a couple weeks back, paraphrasing:

"Fear Ford and their policies, or live to mod another day!"

Read the warranty guide your vehicle came with, it states basically what I said above.

Anyhow .. my $0.02
Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Well I bought my 2010 GT with the Track Pack a couple weeks ago and I've came up with a list of questions ...

1. Tire inflation kit - what the heck is this thing? Is it just an air compressor or does it put that nasty gook in your tires?

4. Advancetrack Sport Mode - Is this of any value or would I just be better off fully disabling the system for "spirited driving?"

1. Yes it has goo.

2. 3,000 mile oil changes are an old idea. This is a hold over from days of soft iron blocks and carburated engines along with poorly refined oil. Now days with very tight engines, super clean injection mixture control and modern oils 3,000 miles is only a waste of money and bad for the environment. In Europe most vehicles run 15,000 miles on oil. This includes vehicles like AMG's with superchargers. You should be super easy at 5,000 mile changes. I wouldn't even consider going less than 5,000 miles on any modern oil in any modern engine, let alone Mobile 1 in a 2010 vehicle.

3. You will get a warranty on the installed parts. As for the transmision, rear end, stock engine (block, piston, heads, etc) you can pretty much forget the warranty no matter who installs a FI system.

4. Don't know yet. I haven't received my 2010 GT to try it out.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
1. Yes it has goo.
Bummer ... I might just take the whole thing out then and save some more weight.

4. Don't know yet. I haven't received my 2010 GT to try it out.
Lol well I have one but I lack the skill to test it honestly. This car is my first MT ... boy did I pick a hell of a car to learn on!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Bummer ... I might just take the whole thing out then and save some more weight.

Lol well I have one but I lack the skill to test it honestly. This car is my first MT ... boy did I pick a hell of a car to learn on!
The goo will also ruin the TPS sensor in your wheel. So you have to buy a new tire and a new TPS sensor. So you are better off calling the Auto Club or something.

Learning to drive an MT on the mustang is easy. 1. Push really hard on the throttle. 2. Release Clutch.

Okay, it might be hard on the tire budget, but it is certainly fun
Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Learning to drive an MT on the mustang is easy. 1. Push really hard on the throttle. 2. Release Clutch.

Okay, it might be hard on the tire budget, but it is certainly fun

Sweet... I did that when I was a youngin' just learning the ropes of MT. Buckin' bronco.

But all in all, I've never felt an easier shifting and more comfortable clutch (travel distance, and stiffness is just right) than in all my previous rides (Ford and other Makes.)
Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

The goo will also ruin the TPS sensor in your wheel. So you have to buy a new tire and a new TPS sensor. So you are better off calling the Auto Club or something.
Good to know ...

Believe it or not this actually produces a very unpleasant sensation when the traction control starts fighting the throttle ... if anything it was motivation to learn how to get into 1st gear properly. I'm doing OK with that now buy my 1-2 shifts are a bit rough sometimes.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:47 AM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

According to the 2010 sales brochure I have, you only keep the warranty with the 85hp blower kit. (400hp)

The big boy, the kit that makes 550hp voids it, even if installed at Ford.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:37 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
According to the 2010 sales brochure I have, you only keep the warranty with the 85hp blower kit. (400hp)

The big boy, the kit that makes 550hp voids it, even if installed at Ford.
Can you please share more details on this? What brochure? What exactly it says? I was told by my dealer if they put any FI on the car, it is out of warranty if the engine, trans or rear end go boom.

Please dont think I am calling you out. I am trying to find all the info I can here.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2009, 01:42 AM
7up
2nd Gear Member

...if they put any FI on the car ...

FastDEW: Help me here, I'm blanking on what FI is an acronym for.

I know as soon as you tell me, I'll have a d'Oh! moment.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2010 Track Pack / Warranty Questions