Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT/CS Rear bumper Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default GT/CS Rear bumper Question

Anyone with this bumper notice it being kinda loose? The three tabs along the bottom of the bumper dont seemed to be very secure and it allows the section below the license plate to move back and forth a decent amount. Im just wondering if it moves while im driving too. Does anyone else have a slightly loose wobbly bumper or should it be pretty solid?
Old 10-10-2009, 02:28 PM
sp44
2nd Gear Member

My GT rear bumper seems loose considering I never did anything to it.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Croft
3rd Gear Member

The only "loose" section that I have noticed is the black valance, I think because of it being the cheap plastic. i only notice it when I am washing the car and actually move it around myself. Otherwise, my bumper is solid.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07CaliGTstang
The only "loose" section that I have noticed is the black valance, I think because of it being the cheap plastic. i only notice it when I am washing the car and actually move it around myself. Otherwise, my bumper is solid.
That pretty much what i mean, I noticed the three bracket things that hold it to the bumper in the area seem to be loosely riveted on which allows the valence area to flex alot.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:39 PM
KingB21
2nd Gear Member

never noticed, but I plan to wash the ride, I will let you know.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Croft
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
That pretty much what i mean, I noticed the three bracket things that hold it to the bumper in the area seem to be loosely riveted on which allows the valence area to flex alot.
Well, I have had my CS for 3 years and never had an issue with the valance. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. I have always lived by the saying....."If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 08-27-2010, 10:05 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

bump. Anyone figure out a way to tighten up the bottom center of the GT/CS bumper? Am I missing some special fastener for those lower supports?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

i think i ended up using some aircraft tape from my dad. Teflon based stuff and i just kinda wrapped it around the pin or the whole. I dont really remember what i did but i know all i used was some tape to wedge into the right spot and its a bit more snug
Old 08-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Haven't had any problems with mine yet. The exhaust likes to rub on the side of the black valiance though but I'm sure that's an easy fix
Old 08-28-2010, 11:37 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

It would become a problem only at high speed, because the air pressure trying to push it outward (in that case backward lol).
A customer of mine in Belgium had all 3 of his lower tabs broken on his GT500 and I noticed his bumper being really loose following him in another fast car.
We were only doing 140+ mph, lol. (was fun that day).
If it wasn't for someone seeing it from behind, we would never know and eventually the bumper would have ripped itself off at the bottom.

The way we fixed it was to make an aluminum shield all the way across between the exhaust tips.
We riveted that shield at the very bottom part of the bumper and screwed it to the body of the car where the middle broken tab would normally secure into.
You couldn't see the rivets until you had your head right underneath the bumper...
That shield kept any air turbulence from happening since there was no more factory opening.

The easier way, would be to make aluminum tabs (with 2 rivets each) just like factory had them, so you can reuse the same location points and push on clips.
That would be good enough of a repair, since we're not driving 140+mph that often in the US now, are we?

Last edited by pascal; 08-28-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: GT/CS Rear bumper Question