Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Opinions on CoPs

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:48 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

lol, yeah. Thanks for lightening the mood.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:12 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I have the GMS 60,000 volt cop's, this is the second set the first one failed in the first month. They sent me a new set for free, I've had them on since June with no issues. I can't really say I noticed any real difference over the stock ones, I also have the Brisk plugs. However when making 465 rwhp another 10 or so hp you probably couldn't really tell. Would I spend the money again, probably not.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:22 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i noticed the pic of the weapons X ones you have linked to. The one's for the S197's dont actually look like the ones in the pic i am assuming. I only ask because i have seen the boot connectors that go inbetween the coil packs and the plugs and they look similar to what is in that picture.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

GEE, 5900 Posts, member for close to 3 yrs, moderator... yeah my view means zero....

and since I'm a ***** I will not spend my time spoon feeding you info you could get yourself with some effort and initiative.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

OP- I think what many on here are trying to get at is.....one- they have had many bad exp. with the GMS coils. I have read on here a member that had a problem with the MSD ones. The weaponX ones I have read about and they sound great just like all the other aftermarket ones....I hope Weapon X got it right where others have IMO failed.

Many members with FI (Like STKjock, Nineninenails, myself, moosestang, hammeron, Simon1, and the others in this thread etc) all have read and found on this forum alone that the aftermarket COPs can and have had issues in the past...do they now? Hopefully not.....many of us still run the stock COPs as they are more then adequate for FI esp at what HP/boost that your running.

Could your stock coils be the problem? its possible and by you asking other forums members opinions on which to get is great but you cant get frustrated when forum members just say stuff like (stock FTW etc.)......It may have been better served to ask them why and challenge their opinions and have them write out why should they want too.

I say.....if you have a freind that has the stock COP's that were fine on their S197 then switch them out and see if you have the same problem. I always replace from the least exp part to the most exp part if you cant find out immediately the reason or faulty part that is causing the need for this thread.

By that then I say try switching the plugs first and then the COP's and see what happens. Maybe both will need to be changed in the end but just cont using the process of elimination as you have and hopefully the answer to correst this issues will be found.....enjoy the forum and dont sweat the small stuff!!!!

Let us know how it turns out and what worked for you in the end.

I would appreciate it too if you gave us a review after several months to yrs on if they held up to their claims and if they were reliable.....IMO the aftermarket ones are not at this point...hopefully I am worng
Old 10-12-2009, 11:02 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
GEE, 5900 Posts, member for close to 3 yrs, moderator... yeah my view means zero....

Dude, 5900 one word responses doesn't mean much. All I wanted was for you to provide some information on your opinon. Me and you are only a few months apart in join date, and you spent no time spoon feeding. Post counts and status do not frighten me. Whats the worst that will happen, you will ban for me for calling you on your crap. That would suck as there are a lot of good members here, and I appreciate helping others, and getting help when I need it, but at the end of the day, your just a man behind a computer on a forum, lose the big head and better then thou attitude. Last I checked moderators are to serve the best interest of the forums, not impose there will or opinion as the only option for anyone. Unless the point is to turn this into a dictation on your opinion, and not actually a forum.

However, pay close attention to people like gt500, who when they feel it necessary, take the time to type full sentences and pose a clear position to there point. For that, thank you mygt500. I got what people were saying about the stock ones, and potential for problems with aftermarkets. As for the troubleshooting, I think me and you follow the same thought process, as that is what I have been doing. Went through a replacement MAF sensor I got from Brenspeed for a good price, a new throttle body for a steal that came with working electronics (so TPS and Drive assembly good,) and now am looking at the plugs / cops.

Also, to GT500 and to those that I did actually insult a bit. I know MyGT500s presence was to try to calm this and bring peace, so I am sorry to have to keep that going. I am very direct when it seems like people can not even read, or maybe skim the first line of a post, skip everything else, and post a absolute and minimalistic response. For this I know I am telling the truth, but I do come off in a very arrogant and abrasive way when I call people out some time, but the way I look at it, some people do just need to grow a thicker skin (its the Jarhead in me) cause at the end of the day, if someone cant take someone else stating the truth to there face without getting offended, you can never learn from your mistakes.

Originally Posted by mac10chap
i noticed the pic of the weapons X ones you have linked to. The one's for the S197's dont actually look like the ones in the pic i am assuming. I only ask because i have seen the boot connectors that go inbetween the coil packs and the plugs and they look similar to what is in that picture.
Actually that is them, the weapon X are the ONLY true coil on plug on the market. The entire device fits in the well, and the coil is in where the boot would normally be. This design eliminates any lead going from the coil to the plug. The materials they use are more conductive, the fitment of the connector to the plug is VERY tight, and there is no lead, spring, or wire to degrade over time, like anything else there is. Think of it this way, factory's have a thin spring going from pack to plug, GMS pro has a thick lead, Weapon X said screw all that, were going to actually terminate the coil on the top of the plug and do away with all that clutter.

Originally Posted by Stkjock
and since I'm a *****
I am sorry I called you a *****, that was my frustration getting the best of me, and misguided anger. Totally out of line with that statement. Again, sorry.

Last edited by JDWalton; 10-12-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

If I remember correctly, from your last tread, you mentioned that your car was sputtering or something like. When you posted that I immediately thought coils. My reason, I had the same problem in another car that I owned and it turned out to be coils.

I have had no problems with my currect stock set of coils with the blower. Its possible that you just got a bad set. Although, I have thought about replacing them and still plan to down the road. From what I have read on this forum and others is that people with GMS coils have experienced problems. I have not read much about the pro-series COPS from GMS. I have also read that accel and the MSD are a great replacement over the stockers, dont know about the gains.

From my understanding your not concerned about the gains you just want to fix the problem. Have you thought about datalogging and checking the spark? I would try that to help you figure out what the problem is. I know you mentioned that the dealership checked it you but sometimes they get it wrong. If turns out to the cops or an inproperly gapped plug.. I'd upgrade and get the Weapon X and replace the plugs while I'm at it...

Anyhow, I hope you figure it out and remember we are all here to help each other out, thick skin or not.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loots06
If I remember correctly, from your last tread, you mentioned that your car was sputtering or something like. When you posted that I immediately thought coils. My reason, I had the same problem in another car that I owned and it turned out to be coils.

I have had no problems with my currect stock set of coils with the blower. Its possible that you just got a bad set. Although, I have thought about replacing them and still plan to down the road. From what I have read on this forum and others is that people with GMS coils have experienced problems. I have not read much about the pro-series COPS from GMS. I have also read that accel and the MSD are a great replacement over the stockers, dont know about the gains.

From my understanding your not concerned about the gains you just want to fix the problem. Have you thought about datalogging and checking the spark? I would try that to help you figure out what the problem is. I know you mentioned that the dealership checked it you but sometimes they get it wrong. If turns out to the cops or an inproperly gapped plug.. I'd upgrade and get the Weapon X and replace the plugs while I'm at it...

Anyhow, I hope you figure it out and remember we are all here to help each other out, thick skin or not.

You got it right! thank you.. lol. Pretty much what I am doing, gonna get the plugs and Coils and drop them on at the same time, it pushs my hood off for a bit, but rather have the car working then care about a aftermarket hood.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:48 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=JDWalton;6563597]

Posts like this are not useful at all.... Do you have any information as to why your opinion is that the stock ones perform better then every aftermarket setup on the market?[/QUOTE]

My .02 . . .

Ask someone (vender) who sells COPs and they are great. You ask someone who is a tuner and they keep the stock units. I beleive the tuners since they are the ones who actually see how a product performs and see's their reliability.

Your asking for opinions on COPs and there's no better one's out there than stock.

Go to junk yard and get some off of a wrecked GT or take some off of a buddies car before you spend your money.

You need your car tuned by someone who knows how to tune supercharged mustang S197s.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Thank you for the information Simon, my problem was not in the people saying stock, it was in that was all they were saying. The opinion stock is reasonable, I just wanted to know why people felt that. Also, I know what your saying about vendors and not listening to there hype, GMS for example claims that on my application I would gain 35HP...... I had this same argument with my mother, as she has not learned yet how deceitful sales tactics on the Internet can be.

The choice on the Weapon X was for 2 reasons.
1. No one has said that those ones caused issues, either in this post, or ones i had looked at previously

2. With my back round in Electro-Mechanical engineering, I believe the information provided by them, and believe them to have a very solid design. They are not claiming massive HP gains, more so that they can get more energy to the plug and produce a better spark. Eliminating a high voltage lead, using more conductive materials on connectors, and not being a clone in design are not things you can fake, so I like them best.

As for the tune, the car has run issue free for 5k miles. I know its not the best tune in the world, but do you belive Brenspeeds tune is not good and my issue more likly rides with that?

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on CoPs