Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Opinions on CoPs

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Default Need Opinions on CoPs

So I got a ongoing issue with my car and CoPs + Plugs are the next bet. So I have been looking at CoPs and Brenspeed only sells the MSDs that seem to be one of the more expensive sets out there. Just wondering if anyone has real, useful information about them or the other brands? So far I saw the MSDs, and now the Accels and the GMS. All look decent, just want some opinions if anyone has run any of them. Thanks.

Accel

GMS

MSD
Old 10-11-2009, 11:56 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

No personal experience but my tuner told me not to buy them because the stock COP's are better than any of the aftermarkets. Now, Ernie at Hard Core Muscle told me that they picked up around 5whp with the GMS COP's. However, they run $500+ for a set. I can think of much better mods for the money. I suggest sticking with thte stockers but if the money is burning a hole in your pocket, then from what i've heard, get the GMS.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

stock

/thread
Old 10-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

From other forum members, the aftermarket COPS have been a problem to quite a few. Although there seems to be some gains if you're FI, they have little to no effect on performance for our NA engines. Some of the reported problems had to do with intermittent spark issues and coil failures.

When I first read about them, I kept my eyes peeled for any info. After all that I've read, I'm staying away from them.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:58 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

If your gonna get a new set of COPS then get the Weapon X. Stay away from GMS..

Lethal Performace sells the Weapon X.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:42 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Wow....... Do people not even read? I mean seriously. Ok, points people seemed to have missed

1. My car is supercharged

2. I am not looking to burn money into a mod, see point 3.

3. I suspect I have a problem with my stock ones, that is why I am looking at new ones.

4. I have a ongoing post in the tech forum with all of what i have done and the plan for how I am still working on it. It can be found HERE but the gist of where were at now is suspecting plugs / cops

Thanks for the info on the weapon X ones, i had seen those before but forgot about them.

Mac 10, thanks for some info on those GMS ones. Though if you look at my first post, GMS is a link to the GMS ones for sale for under 300. AT over 500, those are the "pro" ones I believe that your friend got. But usually if they make a good product, there a good product, I'll do some research and find out what the difference is from the regulars tot he pros.

To anyone else looking to post here... please don't just put

Stock

/retarded threadjackinglookatme

Looking for useful info, that applies to informed information (not hear say) on the different aftermarket cops, as they apply to my situation.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Ive often wondered why i dont see many threads on these and i suppose its because of $ to gain shopping. Although it doesnt help much, from what i have heard MSD makes great stuff.

Last edited by Shadow7874; 10-11-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:57 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I think these are the WEAPON X ones your were talking about. Even though there a little more expensive, I think those just went to the top of my list. Like I said, a few months ago I had looked these up but at the time did not need CoPs, so like others had said, it just wasnt worth putting money into. Now that I need some though, I think I'm going to get these.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:12 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Several routes you can go. If you think you might have a problem, buy a new stocker and replace the one you think is the culprit and see if it fixes it.

I have a set of Accel and they are fine, i got them for under 200 for the set so it was a great deal. I am NA and I didnt really feel any gains which is all expected. It might seem to run a little smoother but it could be placebo too.

Now if you want to spend a little the weapon X are your best bet i think. They have a good history on other years and i would say that would hold true with our models too.

Problems have been in the past with GMS mostly but i think they have cleared most issues up, I still wouldnt run them though
Old 10-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

GMS is garbage. I had nothing but trouble with them. I ultimately went back to stock and haven't had any issues running well over 500hp. If you "suspect" trouble with your stock COPs, I'd have them tested before I threw money at an aftermarket set.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on CoPs