Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripes and the Police

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:32 PM
afoust50
1st Gear Member

Power to the Okies! Im from Weatherford out west originally. Now I'm in OKC myself
Old 10-13-2009, 05:37 PM
facacc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostHorse

And yes, always be nice to the cops... I tried that last time or two (The 'or two is another story entirely) but after a while you just get exasperated with the silliness when its a minor minor infraction.
We are out there just doing our jobs. color of car a stripes or not, makes no difference. Some cops are just more passive than others, some are just A-holes. You never know which one you will get. I work in a city and dont normally have the time to do traffic. But our traffic unit... They would write tickets to anyone. really, anyone! I personally think it's stupid to be that harsh but thats whatt they signed up for.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Oh, I know you guys are... did I mention my uncle is a cop in our town (not Caney, btw), and my husband is probation and parole but also a deputy sheriff? And most of our friends are city cops or highway patrolmen? LOL THAT being said, I certainly don't expect immunity if I'm acting a fool... but I have found that the worst ones to pull me over for silly stuff and initially treat me like I'm surely a drug peddler are the new/young guys. Most seasoned cops won't fool with the infractions I've been pulled over for like: I couldn't see that you were wearing a seatbelt.

facacc: I do salute you though. You guys put yourselves in the line of fire everyday, and the biggest majority of you are doing your jobs for the right reasons and using common sense. There's nothing makes me more antsy yet respectful of my husband than to watch him don Kevlar, his duty belt, badge, bdu's and his Glock .40. The handcuffs are a nice touch too. ;-)
Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
facacc
1st Gear Member

You are funny. I have been doing this job for 5 years and see the new people come in and get all amped up over little stuff. Then I ask myself if I was that way when I first started. I probably was a little badge heavy but I got past that. I still hope I dont get pulled over for dumb stuff like tinted plate covers and other petty crap
Old 10-15-2009, 05:18 PM
mikenavy
1st Gear Member

Im getting stripes next week haha.

Just got a ticket today for doing 61 in a 45. 4 points on my license and a 200$ fine. Sucks for the first ticket ever. I'm glad I wasn't going 'very' fast.

He said when I call the Traffic Court Office that they can probably lower the fine. How would that work?

Weird because I had just ordered a Valentine1 about an hour before this happen.
<Sorry this is kind of off topic>

Last edited by mikenavy; 10-15-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 AM
TrickyRic
1st Gear Member

Funny, I have stripes on my new Stang and sometimes on the highway I realize that I am driving more conservatively because i feel my car will really stand out in the crowd if I start to get much above the speed limit. Can't say it's true or not, but I do subconciously slow down. I can say I never stopped a car just because of a flashy appearance, but I can't say what may have first caught my attention about a specific car or boat. Sports cars and go fast boats would be something I'd notice if I was doing a speed/aggressive driving patrol...even if they were "all good", they did get my attention, perhaps just for a second or two.

So true, attitudes get more tickets issued than the actual traffic violations. I did 25+ years, many of them in units where traffic safety was a primary focus. I've given many breaks for moderately serious violations and issued many tickets for relatively very minor violations because of attitudes. It really wasn't always because I didn't appreciate being spoken to so disrepectfully, more so because that person was so willing to reveal there total lack of respect for the laws they were breaking. Someone can drive 70 in a 55, get stopped , but by their attitude reveal to the Trooper that they respect speed limit laws but just made a mistake and would honestly try not to speed all the time. Another driver might get stopped for a simple burned out tailight but then be so beligerent about being stopped that they are clearly demonstrating there true disrespect/ lack of consideration of the potential safety implications of that violation that the Trooper feels the only way to deter that person for continuing to disregard the laws is to hurt them in their wallet, the only deterent some people understand.

BUT as said before, some LEO's are just plain a holes. The PD's know it as well as you do, but it's kinda impossible to just fire a guy/gal just because they're a heavy enforcer...as long as they don't get disrespectful to the public...much easier to can them if they do. The difference is the mentality of the Department will be revealed once they are aware that a LEO is heavy handed...if he stays on the traffic enforcement focused unit..that is obviously what the PD wants...if they reassign him/her the PD's probably frowns on heavy handed enforcement. Of course some are just luckey and fly under the radar. I can tell you how many I've seen transferred to motor pools, warehouse, date processing units...etc. because they just did not properly represent their PD. Good workers many times, just not good with the public.

Last edited by TrickyRic; 10-16-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Yeah, it takes all kinds. I guess some police officers assigned to traffic like to give out tickets. I got one quite a number of years ago from a motorcycle officer who was apparently just waiting for someone to come along so he could write a ticket. It was about midnight, and the fog was so thick it was difficult to see. He wrote me up for going through a stop sign at 15 mph. I told the officer that I didn't see the stop sign, what with all the fog. Later, I went back to the scene and found that the stop sign was partially obscured by a tree branch.

I went to court. The police officer was not present. The judge looked at the photo I had taken of the partially obscured stop sign. He showed the photo to the prosecuting attorney, who shrugged his shoulders. The judge found me not guilty.

IMO the motorcycle officer could have been doing something more useful. Who knows. Maybe he had orders to be at that corner. Sitting on a motorcycle in the fog at midnight in a somewhat desolate area would sure have made me cranky.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Barricade643
1st Gear Member

I never get pulled over.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 PM
rogotiz3
1st Gear Member

I haven't been pulled over yet, but it's probably because my stripes are black on a black car rather than grey or white on a black car. LOL All stripes are equal in my eyes!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:46 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by d_ames117
Supposedly RED is the car color most likely to get you pulled over. Stripes are just an added attention getter, so yea, he was drawing the most attention to his car.

Ames

This.

Quick Reply: Stripes and the Police