Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I went to get a oil change at the dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:24 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

You'd think it's just an oil change, but I had dealerships mess up such a simple thing, for example not tightening the drain plug and seeing a puddle of oil in my garage the next day, or not put enough new oil in the car.

The only time I go to a dealership for an oil change is for my bimmer which still has free maintenance.

For the Mustang I buy my oil and filter and go to jiffy lube. I can keep an eye on the guys without being in their face.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Croft
3rd Gear Member

Car goes up on ramps in the driveway, pull the plug, let it driain for 10 mins, plug it back up, pull off the old filter, put on the new, and fill her up with about 5 3/4 quarts of oil. Check the level again once she is sitting flat.

I know it's not easy for some to change their own oil and such because of certain circumstances, but I definitely don't trust anyone but myself.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:58 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

When I take my cars into the dealership for service, I can watch what they are doing because they have a huge wall in the waiting area that is made of glass.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:44 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
I know what makes a show car. You go down to ford, buy a car, slap some parts and paint on it and show it. That's it. Takes no talent, just money or high credit limit on your credit cards.. Don't drink the kool aid. You have a Mustang, not a show car. But it is a nice mustang, but it will be in a junk yard on avg in 10 years. 5 years from now our cars will look dated, be slow and be worth 5k. Drive the hell out of it and enjoy it, it's only a Stang. And I fail to see what a show car and an oil change have to do with each other.
Natural selection will take care of this one in short order, cutter.
The FortLiquordale says it all.....

FRAM SURE DRAIN FTW.
SD-2
Ford S197s have M14x1.50 oil plug drains.
Attached Thumbnails So I went to get a oil change at the dealer...-sd4_1.jpg   So I went to get a oil change at the dealer...-sd4_2.jpg   So I went to get a oil change at the dealer...-sd4_3.jpg   So I went to get a oil change at the dealer...-sd4.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 10-17-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Burrosito
2nd Gear Member

Oh please, I never had to bother with jack stands or even a jack or ramps to do my oil changes. I just squeeze myself under the car and go to work. Of course, I'm like a buck fifty soaking wet :P Plus, at my shop I work at, our floor jacks don't go down low enough to get under the car.

I can understand why the tech did not like being watched. No one likes someone looking over their shoulder and critique them. BUT, just as everyone here has stated, he should not have had a problem with it. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make sure the person working on your vehicle does a job up to your par. Plus, he shouldn't have had anything to worry about if he was a decent experienced tech. If anything, he should have felt good about someone wanting to watch him do what he does best. Even if it was just a simple oil change.

And no, it's not just a car. Especially if it's your DD, whether its a Mustang, some guys truck, or that kid's ricer. It's your personal property that you have invested time and money on, and especially rely on to get you from point A to point B. You always want it in good running order so it can perform whatever job you intended it for. Sure, some people don't mind dings and scratches on the outside, or stains and spills on the inside, but we all want that motor running reliably and efficiently.

And no, slapping on some rims and paint does not make every car a show car.
I.E.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Czar22
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Sorry you don't know what a show car is and your response proves my point. Takes no talent? Just money? Ya right LOL! Its that very train of thought why there are so many "Modding disasters" out there. I can post pic's of the most butt ugly cars you have ever seen from people that had all kinds of money to burn but totally clueless when it comes to how to mod a car into a show winner. That my friend takes "talent" not money.............

I suppose now your going to tell me that Chip Foose does not build show cars either and has no talent right? I mean since he gets a car from Ford and slaps some parts on and slaps some paint it.........

And just so you know I do drive and enjoy the hell out of my car but to me and many others that I know its not "only a Stang"

But whatever, to each his own...........................
Cutter, don't put any more time in on this guy (Ft Liquordale)....he is a DB. Just another angry drunk. (Not to mention he lives in Ft. Lauderdale..... probably has plenty of money and high credit card limits...) He just can't build a car that wins, and doesn't give a #%$& about the things he owns.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Croft
3rd Gear Member

^^^^^And probably has a SMALL *****!........
Old 10-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07CaliGTstang
^^^^^And probably has a SMALL *****!........
Seems as though you are saying there is no replacement for displacement.