Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

So I went to get a oil change at the dealer...

Old 10-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Default So I went to get a oil change at the dealer...

...I would normally do it myself, or have JDM do it (since I have no time anymore), however JDM wasn't available. So I went to dealership and asked for a simple oil change, nothing too fancy - just the normal blend. I followed the guy into the bay with my car and he asked what are you doing here. I said I asked the manager and the used car GM and he it was ok for me to be here. We went back and forth for a few seconds, then he was like I am going to give back this ticket then, I don't like being watched. I was like if you are doing a good job, then why worry...? He gave the ticket back then the manager stepped in. The manager then told me not to go in the bay, but I can watch. He then gave the ticket back to the tech saying to me, don't worry he one of my A techs. I had no choice since I had a nice road trip coming up and was like fine...

After the oil change I told the tech I am sorry, but I take care of my car. He was like, its just a car...(I hate people like that)

So then while riding it home I noticed that the car "sounded" different. It couldn't have been the gas since it was the same gas as before.

I checked the oil and it has more than enough, so what can it be? Could he have put in the wrong type (ie 10w-30 instead of 5w-20?) What does everyone think?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you are worrying to damn much. its just a car.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

unless your driving in the arctic circle its not an issue between 10-30 and 5-20

edit - BTW the tech is a D-bag
Old 10-14-2009, 11:46 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Any tech that will not let you watch them work should be a huge red flag. In fact when I go to get my oil changed (since I live in an appartment) I bring a oil filter & oil and tell them up front that, "I'll be the one opening & closing the hood". I don't like leaving anything up to chance. I've never had any issues from anyone about it and I stand right there as they do the work. Most of the time they like to ask me about the car as they work.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:52 AM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stkjock View Post
unless your driving in the arctic circle its not an issue between 10-30 and 5-20

edit - BTW the tech is a D-bag
yes sir , I concur
Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I disagree. I absolutely hated being watched working as a dealer tech. BUT, I never complained about it. I just did my job and ignored the owner.

Maybe the oil weight AND/OR type changed. Ford dealers like to use a synthetic blend (even if it reads full synthetic from the factory), while JDM probably uses full synthetic.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf View Post
Any tech that will not let you watch them work should be a huge red flag. In fact when I go to get my oil changed (since I live in an appartment) I bring a oil filter & oil and tell them up front that, "I'll be the one opening & closing the hood". I don't like leaving anything up to chance. I've never had any issues from anyone about it and I stand right there as they do the work. Most of the time they like to ask me about the car as they work.
I couldn't agree more and I am the same exact way.

If he would've talked to me or treated me like that, I would've gladly taken the ticket back from him, told the manager's what just happened and that I planned on doing business elsewhere and left immediately.

It might be just a car, but it's MY car!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:54 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang View Post
If he would've talked to me or treated me like that, I would've gladly taken the ticket back from him, told the manager's what just happened and that I planned on doing business elsewhere and left immediately.
+1, except I would have told the owner of the dealership. Furthermore, I'd call out the name of the dealer, the manager, and the tech in this thread, copy it on all of the Mustang forums, and email the owner a link.

Reason #50000 to do your own work. In the time it took you to drive there and deal with these mouth-breathers, you could have done it yourself twice.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Even if they put something in such as the next weight or even dino, you're fine. Just change it yourself shortly after your trip for the peace of mind.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench View Post
I disagree. I absolutely hated being watched working as a dealer tech. BUT, I never complained about it. I just did my job and ignored the owner.

Maybe the oil weight AND/OR type changed. Ford dealers like to use a synthetic blend (even if it reads full synthetic from the factory), while JDM probably uses full synthetic.

I can understand that you and other tech's don't like being watched but you have to understand that trust has to be earned. When you own a show car you put a ton of time and money into it and your not just going to let anyone work on it that has not earned your trust. It's nothing against you personnally its just how us car crazy nuts are. Careless tech's cost me time & money to clean up after and that is one of the biggest reasons why I want to watch my car being worked on unitl I can trust he is going to treat my car like I do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I went to get a oil change at the dealer...

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.