Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saleen SC vs procharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 04:20 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

Default saleen SC vs procharger

Just got back from the local tune shop here in Phx. They had very interesting opinions on this subject so I thought I might share what I heard.
They say that yes the twin screw spends more time in the full boost area, but in AZ the heat is so bad, along with the poor oxigenated fuel, that
it presents wicked detonation here, so much so as they have a kenne bell equip truck that is running -3 degree advance and still has trouble.
They also have a cobra with a whipple with same issues... to make a long story short, they say anything gained by the twin screw is lost in timing
issues because of extreme heat here. They recomend the procharger, only because of the heat here, otherwise the twin screw is the way to go....

what you all think?

They also said to stay away from metal cold air intakes, just switch my filter to a k&n drop in and keep stock intake, unless I can find a plastic one...
Old 07-15-2005, 04:55 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: saleen SC vs procharger

What frustrates me about this subject (as its come up 1000 times now) is that every person seems to say something different......I have heard the complete opposite of what you just said - ie Procharger not good in high heat?!

I have also been told that Procharger is the way to go if you want it to last alot of years and obviously others have said the exact same thing about Saleen/Whipple, etc...

I was due to buy a Procharger 3 weeks ago but changed my mind as so many people were feeding me different information - in the end I got confused and havent bought one.....................urghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Damn, seeing's how I am heading to NM here in a couple months. Im not sure with what I want. I like the looks of the twin screw design. It's alot more classy and in my opinion more muscle looking. But damn, I guess I will have to talk to my own experts.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:24 AM
gregsdart
1st Gear Member

A call directly to saleen might get you some answers. Otherwise, just knowing that the S/C makes more power with less boost tells me it has less problems than the others. When a compressor needs more boost to make the same power, it is heating the air more due to inefficiency, and i don't understand how the outside air temp being hotter would improve that in favor of the less efficient unit. Part of this problem(if indeed there is one) may be in the tuneup, and i would think that the problem might be in injecters that need to be larger to offset the oxigenated(10% ethenol) fuels. They are barely addaquet with good fuel, let alone the cheap stuff with alky.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:25 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Thats the problem with these websites - they are full of people who think they are 'experts' when in actual fact they just have 'opinions'...........

You are best off asking your local tuning shop, etc for which way to go as I found with this website everybody said something different!
Old 07-15-2005, 08:25 AM
gregsdart
1st Gear Member

A call directly to saleen might get you some answers. Otherwise, just knowing that the S/C makes more power with less boost tells me it has less problems than the others. When a compressor needs more boost to make the same power, it is heating the air more due to inefficiency, and i don't understand how the outside air temp being hotter would improve that in favor of the less efficient unit. Part of this problem(if indeed there is one) may be in the tuneup, and i would think that the problem might be in injecters that need to be larger to offset the oxigenated(10% ethenol) fuels. They are barely addaquet with good fuel, let alone the cheap stuff with alky.