Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One of those days when nuthin goes right.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Default One of those days when nuthin goes right.

So, my brother and I just spent several hours working on the Cherry Bomb - we WERE just going to install the STB - we had to wallow out the holes and make them longer. Got it all just right... annnnnnnnd the nuts wouldn't come off the strut tower bolts on the pass side. They just spun and spun. I have tiny hands, so y'know. Thought I could get some pliers or something under there to hold it... nope. The inner two are under the spring, and since it had to have a camber kit, the spring isn't smashed right up against the flat little doomafagi that holds the bolt in place from underneath.

So, we said frack it. I'll let my strut/alignment/exhaust guy mess with it and just pay his shop help.

Next, we thought, HEY! Lets paint the calpers and I did pick up a set of MGP covers. Before you guys flame, yes, I know the general concensus on them. I got them on the cheap from a friend that couldn't use them - he has deep dish bullets.... and with the calipers shot red, the clips and nuts shot red too, it actually looked decent. (also shot the a-arm brace Torch Red, Colorado Red if you're talking PPG paint-speak)

But the clearance is tight. So close the back driver's side wheel scrapes the cover. It didn't seem too when we snugged the wheel down and backed it out of the shop.

But it sure as heck does.

*headdesk*

Now we gotta pull the wheel back off, and try to adjust the cover so it doesn't scrape the bejeebus out of it.

So, so far today we wasted a ton of time and energy, and got very little accomplished. We did experiment with using a polishing wheel on the paint though, and while the cleaner wax a few weeks ago worked wonders, WOW... the polishing with a wheel left it smooth as glass. I can say at least I was able to scrub the back side of the wheels clean - that's been driving me up a wall since I got it.

For my next trick, I am going to attempt to just clean the air filter on it since its gonna be sitting at least another day. Might as well... the sun has finally come out and there's a good chance it will actually dry. And of course, after 15 days of rain and having to make a trip down a muddy dirt road to pick up kids everyday, its filthy... annnnnnd I can't get it clean since I said eff it and left the car at the body shop. (sans filter)

Let's hope cleaning the filter works out for me, ey?

Last edited by Batenswytch; 10-17-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:39 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Some things are just not designed well from conception.

And its hard to polish a turd.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Yes, yes it is. Hard, but not impossible. Just frustrating as h3ll.

I will say, love them or hate them, the MGP peoples didn't allow for much adjustment in their design. I have factory GT Bullets and they have about enough room to clear the covers as the thickness of a sheet of toilet paper. Real thin TP...

Okay, maybe not that thin, but ****e. Its close. We can much around with the back one that IS scraping, just got tired of fracking with them today. I personally like the way they look with the calipers and clips painted the same color - otherwise, they ARE terribly cheesy looking and are obviously covers. For the money, if a person is paying pull price, which I think is nearly 200 bucks, they ain't worth it. Just paint the calipers and move on. If I had it to do over again, I'd give my buddy back the covers, keep my moolah, and just paint them.

Last edited by Batenswytch; 10-17-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

And since pix would help this thread out:

You can see the scuffs here. ^

And this shows the zero clearance as well as the painted clip, etc.