Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is faster? Auto or manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:47 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
I think the biggest variable is the ability of the driver. The times that are published in auto magazines are from professional drivers. Often, they use the best time, rather than the average time. Even professionals can miss shifts. Of course, everyone here thinks he/she is a great shifter of gears, and some are. For the average person, the automatic will likely yield comparable or better results, and do it more consistently.
+1 to this. I have had my manual for 3+ years and I love it but I seriously doubt that I can shift faster than an auto but I still love being able to control the shift points.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

stock for stock...a 5 speed is faster hands down off the line, and at the top end

the OEM torque converter and tuning makes the auto lose quite a bit of "oomph" off the start.

but once you are in 2nd gear or higher, it's all about the drivers.

in the mid gears, the auto has more advantage since you can keep your throttle planted and it takes care of the shifting. not many manual drivers can do the same while shifting...I've been trying for years and still can't do it.

in the upper end, the auto suffers. the torque converter and the tranny itself eat more HP than a stick does. so it takes more input from the crankshaft to achieve the same results a manual can get.

now, simple tuning of an auto...in terms of speed, that will put it on par with a stickshift. it can really firm up the shifts, and make things crisper and faster...which = faster.

adding a higher stall torque converter + 4.10 gears...and you'll have a automatic that many sticks would be hard pressed to keep up with.

and all of that is assuming you drive in "D" only. if you take your auto and run it up the gears, they respond even better. it's a facet of their programming. if you put it into 1st gear, the solenoids don't build up pressure for the shift into 2nd gear. this results in more power directed to the 1st gearset. just remember to pop it into 2nd gear about 500 RPM before the redline so enough pressure is developed to shift it prior to hitting the rev limiter.
my 03 GT was an auto.

could do an anemic burnout in Drive, and the occasional 2nd gear scratch.

but place it into 1st, and that thing was a tire shredding monster. when I manually shifted to 2nd, it would lay it sideways.

I don't recommend you do this often though, it is harder on the transmission than just normal driving is

all things being equal, I'd still take a stick shift again. I just get bored with an automatic. but I do see their appeal in horrible traffic. guess it just depends on how much & where you drive it
Old 10-18-2009, 04:49 PM
BaDStAnGT
2nd Gear Member

manual is faster on rolls... lol
Old 10-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Burrosito
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
I think the biggest variable is the ability of the driver. The times that are published in auto magazines are from professional drivers. Often, they use the best time, rather than the average time. Even professionals can miss shifts. Of course, everyone here thinks he/she is a great shifter of gears, and some are. For the average person, the automatic will likely yield comparable or better results, and do it more consistently.
Heh, I wish I shifted well. Since I don't really race the car, just usually hot dog it around, I found during high adrenaline times I tend to miss shift at times. Plus, I'm not really in the proper seated position and tend to not grab the clutch at the right time resulting in a very quick and nasty grind

But I definately love my Stick over an Auto. Though multi-tasking gets a little complicated. (As if I should be while driving...)
Old 10-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Assuming excellent drivers, I've found that stock for stock the manual edges out the auto. However, assuming a higher stall converter and equal mods, both transmissions will get you to the end of the 1/4 about dead nuts even. The manual loses less HP to the wheels through the drivetrain, but nobody's right arm can shift faster than an automatic. Those two factors pretty much even out the performance.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

With equal HP at the crank, and with the driver in the manual shifting properly, the manual is faster, because it loses less HP at the wheels.

Manuals are also better from rolls. The Auto takes forever to downshift. You can downshift manually even with the Automatic if you are going from a roll, then throw it in D once you need to upshift... but you are still going to have less HP at the wheels all other things being equal.

Last edited by gburke1; 10-18-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:05 PM
bigscott
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input everyone!!

I just ask cause im wanting to get a GT but up in the air as to weather i want a manual or auto. I do enjoy being able to control the shift points and still think a manual is prolly slightly better for racing. But for a car thats a mix of daily driving and performance an auto is hard to go wrong with.........
Old 10-18-2009, 09:12 PM
REDFIRE_GT_BEAST
2nd Gear Member

Honestly the auto in the s197 is so much better then having to shift yourself you can hardly feel it and as far as losing horsepower you lose more horsepower with a manual shifter and for a fact my dads bone stock and my bone stock versus each other we were pretty much dead even the whole way so really no disadvantage either way. Will admit though stick is better if you dont have to drive it everyday in traffic.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you're going to race and you're not VERY proficient at shifting, then get an auto. If you want to have more fun, get a manual. You DRIVE a manual. You ride an auto.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 PM
REDFIRE_GT_BEAST
2nd Gear Member

Do you want to RACE or DRAG RACE cause i think if your going to drag you should get automatic you dont have to worry about missing the gear slipping off clutch even well unless you get a two step but still automatic is flawless no mistakes at all but if your looking to race on a track then manual cause you need to downshift around the corners to slow down better then be able to nail it after you get out of it.

Quick Reply: Which is faster? Auto or manual?