Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is faster? Auto or manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
bigscott
1st Gear Member

Default Which is faster? Auto or manual?

Ok i was always told manuals were faster. More control over torque to wheels ec etc. But recently a mechanic at the shop i work at argues autos are faster. And upon watching videos on youtube of autos against manuals racing i see their actually pretty close.

I own a manual right now but shifting and using the clutch does kinda get old. Traffic, hills, etc etc.

So whats the deal performance wise? manual or auto?
Old 10-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Burrosito
2nd Gear Member

I'm sure someone here with more experience and technical data will answer this, but stock vs. stock, with decent drivers behind the wheel, I would assume manual would be a tad faster.

Autos, from what I believe, have a slight shift lag between gears. Plus, they lose a little HP in the tranny. But I'm not completely sure. I'm just going by hearsay.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:40 PM
bigscott
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burrosito
I'm sure someone here with more experience and technical data will answer this, but stock vs. stock, with decent drivers behind the wheel, I would assume manual would be a tad faster.

Autos, from what I believe, have a slight shift lag between gears. Plus, they lose a little HP in the tranny. But I'm not completely sure. I'm just going by hearsay.
Yeah from what ive been told it depends on setup such as differential and torque converter and all that good stuff.

But im very interested to see what people here think.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:41 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

They are pretty much equal. I would bet 50/50 in a race almost, technically the manual has a bit more HP but you can not shift faster than an auto can

also, you are all warned, no stupid **** or i lock the thread and start handing out timeouts!
Old 10-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Years back, autos were less efficient but that's not the case today. Autos still do have a tad less efficiency than manuals but they make up for it in repeatability with fast shifts. Nowadays, it has more to do with the driver of the manual. Someone that is VERY proficient at shifting has a very slight edge. In my case, the 3 legged turtle with one eye will give me and my manual a run for my money.

I hear you about the manual getting old. I've had both over the years but my Stang isn't my DD and up until about 5 months ago, rush hour traffic was more than 3 cars at any light. But when I bought the Stang, I wouldn't have bothered with an auto. If the Stang was my DD where I live now, I'd seriously be looking to trade for an auto. It's an individual choice..
Old 10-18-2009, 03:32 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

yea its pretty much the same like matt said 50/50 i would say as well
Old 10-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I think the biggest variable is the ability of the driver. The times that are published in auto magazines are from professional drivers. Often, they use the best time, rather than the average time. Even professionals can miss shifts. Of course, everyone here thinks he/she is a great shifter of gears, and some are. For the average person, the automatic will likely yield comparable or better results, and do it more consistently.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:28 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
also, you are all warned, no stupid **** or i lock the thread and start handing out timeouts!
Old 10-18-2009, 04:31 PM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

if you read the numbers on MT and C&D, they both claim the new camaro auto is a tad faster than the 6M. i have never driven either, but im guessing they cant both be wrong. as far as mustang goes, i had my nicely built 06 auto with firm shifts and i believe that thing is a good bit faster than a comparable man
Old 10-18-2009, 04:32 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

manuals are definately more fun to drive but if i didnt buy an auto for my work commute id kick myself in the face

Quick Reply: Which is faster? Auto or manual?