Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Cage price

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

I guess the back seats become pointless once you put in a roll bar?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:25 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
haha well I guess technically you might be able to fit someone back there but I doubt it would be comfortable or safe...but I will let someone like the guy that posted pictures talk about that.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
Originally Posted by vtmustangs
haha well I guess technically you might be able to fit someone back there but I doubt it would be comfortable or safe...but I will let someone like the guy that posted pictures talk about that.

That's exactly why I want a bolt-in rollbar... I can install it for track time and take it back to normal as needed! I know this will cost more, but well worth it to have the best of both worlds!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 AM
tr6nut
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zkiller
Get a six-point rollbar if you are going to do this and just get swing-outs.
A 4 point in not nearly as strong in a rollover and isnt NHRA legal.

Of course an NHRA-legal rollbar is not legal for open track events because NHRA does not allow a diagonal brace (which a lot of open track/HPDE clubs require).
Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Alright so I need some help on price for a roll cage. I personally don't need one but I have a friend that has a convertible and wants some support. She has gotten in an accident before with the stang and she is really worried about the convertible if it rolls since the soft top wouldn't do much. I did research and from what I found the styling bars offer no support (could be wrong though). So the only other option would be a cage correct?

I realize that it would look stupid if she puts the top down but just humor me for a second and help me with possible prices.
Rereading this post, I don't think the "friend" is looking to race her stang or run it down a track. She probably won't be interested in a 4 point or 6 point bolt in kit, that ruins the back seat.

I have to confess a similar level of anxiety from time to time in my ragtop, too.

My advice to her would be to treat her convertible as if she is riding a Harley. Be extra consious of those around you, take nothing for granted, and assume no one sees you. Don't *EVER* ride door to door with someone on a highway, avoid blind spots, give other drivers plenty of room, in case they swerve to avoid a squirrel or blow a tire. Avoid getting into situations where the vehicle "could" flip over or leave the road.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:38 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Jasoon- I will have to talk to some shops or some guys on here but definitely looks like the back seat would be unrideable. Not sure its a big deal to her but something she will have to consider before she goes that route.

O yea and forgot to mention that this "friend" of mine is my soon to be 50 year old mother. She got run off road by tractor trailor about a year ago and came within a couple hundred of totaling it.

I got some pics from them but they aren't really that much different then ones already posted just fyi
Old 10-21-2009, 11:12 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

You can fit in the backseat with a rollbar but you would be completely nuts to let somebody do it. They will have the center bar and the main hoop in their face and if you had a collision it would be very bad.
Doogie65:
You wont be taking a bolt-in rollbar in and out. Trust me, once bolted in you wont be able to remove it easily. The only practical thing is to have removable (pin-out) side bars. Your not going to be unbolting the main hoop or rear braces.

Last edited by zkiller; 10-21-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

so whats the advantage/disadvantage to having a bolt in versus welded down then?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zkiller
Doogie65:
You wont be taking a bolt-in rollbar in and out. Trust me, once bolted in you wont be able to remove it easily. The only practical thing is to have removable (pin-out) side bars. Your not going to be unbolting the main hoop or rear braces.
For a convertible, sure you can... look at the pictures at this link as one of the rollbar set-ups pictured is a full bolt-in. According to one of the guys with this bolt-in set-up, it ony takes about 30 minutes to install/remove and the interior looks totally stock when it is out. If you scroll through the pics, you will come to a couple that shows the bar out of the car and sitting on the driveway. It comes down to having a shop that knows what they are doing along with being willing to spend the money on getting it done right.

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

so whats the advantage/disadvantage to having a bolt in versus welded down then?
Convenience as a rollbar pretty much kills the use of your back seat. But for your friends needs, sounds like removal is not really a concern as she seems to want the added protection for everyday driving.

Last edited by Doogie65; 10-21-2009 at 12:38 PM.