Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas gauge doesn't work sometimes and other issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 PM
sanders4617

Default Gas gauge doesn't work sometimes and other issue

Ok.. My first problem is the gas gauge. It works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't... Actually.. It works all the time.. Just it doesn't read the initial fuel level right sometimes. Whether it reads it correct and goes up to a half a tank or doesn't read it and it shows it as Empty.. as you drive, the needle goes down like it should. Does this sound like a major issue or not?

Secondly.. Something broke in the shifter area (automatic).. The red thing that shows when your in Drive or Park doesn't change with the shifter anymore.. Just stays at P... and the section in the middle of the shifter (above and below the shifter) is broken. It use to move with the shifter when you would change.. but now its broken and its not attached to it anymore.. So when I go down to D, then back up to P... You can see down inside the shifter area. If I could just buy a replacement, that would be great.

This is a 2005 Mustang.. V6
Old 10-18-2009, 11:27 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

for the fuel gauge problem try running
chevron with techron for awhile, if it's
available in your area. there may be sulfur
buildup.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

If sulfur deposits on your fuel sending units are the cause of the gas gauge problem, then Chevron with Techron is not likely to fix the problem. The amount of Techron in Chevron gasoline is not sufficient for this purpose. Using Chevron gasoline regularly should prevent sulfur buildup, but it is not likely that it will clean sulfur deposits once they are present. For cleaning deposits that are already there, you need the concentrated Techron in a bottle, which you should be able to buy at an auto supply store.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:10 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

this makes good sense after thinking about
it, excellent point Art161

Originally Posted by Art161

For cleaning deposits that are already there, you need the
concentrated Techron in a bottle
Old 10-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on Techron. It's also available at Walmart. 1 oz per gallon of gas is required. Be sure to put it in the tank at the gas pump BEFORE you fill up, then run the tank down to about 1/4. You may need to repeat that. Seafoam is another good product. That would be my 2nd choice.

As far as the shifter is concerned, I think I'd bite the bullet and have Ford look it over. May just be a minor mechanical linkage issue.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 AM
07VistaChicago
2nd Gear Member

I had a fuel sending issue where the guage would read only 3/4 when it was full and then go down from there, sometimes it wouldn't read 3/4 when full eventhough I knew it was full. I removed the pump (I have a GT500 pump) and I disassembled the fuel sending unit, I put a little more tension on the spring contactor and then reinstalled the fuel pump with a new gasket, once the fuel pump was almost seated I reached my hand into the tank to make sure that the float was able to move freely all the way to the top of the tank. So far it is working perfectly.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

As you drive the gauge will correct it's self. Happens all the time. Did it week one of owing the car with 56 miles on it, and does it now with 37k on it. There are times where I start her up and drive off and I get the low fuel chime, but I ignore it and 5 minutes later it's back to normal. If you fill up your car the needle won't go all the way to the top for a while.

I swear some of this board think techtron could cure cancer and wipe out world hunger... Don't waste your time or money on additives.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up Techron

I put in a 20 oz. bottle of Techron every 5,000 miles. I've heard a lot of Ford dealers recommend it too. I have never had a gauge problem in 60K miles. I don't believe in most additives, but Techron is one of the few I do use.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Croft
3rd Gear Member

Do you keep you car running or the key turned while you are filling up?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07CaliGTstang
Do you keep you car running or the key turned while you are filling up?
Explain why that would matter. Even though I don't, it has me curious.

Quick Reply: Gas gauge doesn't work sometimes and other issue