Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added Hood Scoop - Should I Stripe It Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:25 AM
dconfer
1st Gear Member

I had the hood scoop added last week. Car has sat in the garage till this morning, when i got to work I noticed that the scoop was raising off the hood. The tape is not holding. Called the dealer they put it on. Waiting for them to get back to me. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do to fix it?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dconfer
I had the hood scoop added last week. Car has sat in the garage till this morning, when i got to work I noticed that the scoop was raising off the hood. The tape is not holding. Called the dealer they put it on. Waiting for them to get back to me. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do to fix it?
I've done a lot of searching on that very problem and it has happened to lots of people, probably MOST people with the factory hood scoop. Mine started doing it the day after I put the scoop on. The problem is with the scoop not being "angled/bent" correctly from the center down to the sides. There's too much pressure on the edges that trying to draw the edges up and away from the hood, which causes the gaps. Not a HUGE deal, but is a bit annoying. Nobody really notices it, except probably others with the same problem. Ford needs to REDESIGN that scoop so it stops doing that.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:51 AM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

Id stripe it.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:01 PM
CammedMysticCobra
1st Gear Member

Sorry to this but that hood is something you would find on a mustang with More than 600hp to the wheels but doenst look bad
Old 11-15-2009, 03:10 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

My scoop will be arriving from the factory so I will make sure to take a look at the edges prior to taking delivery.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:02 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by douglasland
My scoop will be arriving from the factory so I will make sure to take a look at the edges prior to taking delivery.
That's the thing. Immediately after install it will look fine because the tape will hold for a while. But, after time it will start to pull on the edges because of the tension in the middle. The middle is fine because it's bolted down.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:03 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CammedMysticCobra
Sorry to this but that hood is something you would find on a mustang with More than 600hp to the wheels but doenst look bad
600hp would be very nice!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:57 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

With stripes: It will blend the scoop into the lines of the vehicle, making the scoop contrast less with the rest of car.

Without stripes: Accents the scoop, gives an air of distinction to the stripes that emerge from the scoop and cover the rest of the hood. And a bit more unique of a look.

My preference would be to not stripe the scoop with your particular vehicle. This is where the "Sometimes less is more" theme comes to mind.

$0.02, FWIW.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:44 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTPony
With stripes: It will blend the scoop into the lines of the vehicle, making the scoop contrast less with the rest of car.

Without stripes: Accents the scoop, gives an air of distinction to the stripes that emerge from the scoop and cover the rest of the hood. And a bit more unique of a look.

My preference would be to not stripe the scoop with your particular vehicle. This is where the "Sometimes less is more" theme comes to mind.

$0.02, FWIW.
My thoughts exactly! I'm going to leave it like it is. I like the contrast.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:28 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
My thoughts exactly! I'm going to leave it like it is. I like the contrast.

And of course, if you don't stripe it now -- you can always do it later if you change your mind.

Not being in the know w/regards to stripes, I don't know the reversibility of such a modification.

I suppose it depends on what type & how they were applied.

Quick Reply: Added Hood Scoop - Should I Stripe It Or Not?