Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Short Throw Installed - Me Like

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Talking Hurst Short Throw Installed - Me Like

I bought a used Competiion Hurst Shifter from ZeroInGold. Got it Monday and have been looking for a new set of Poly bushings...and no luck. Go figure. I live on an Island. Guess I need to order some for the next time I go under the car.

So said screw it this afternoon, and started the install.

3 Hours later, it is in and I love it. But it wasn't that easy of an install...as anyone with a later 2008 or a 2009 model can attest to.
The drive tunnel has a heat/noise matte installed that interferes with the bolt lining up and caused me easily 1 hour of my life to be wasted.

This truly is a super easy install. Except for that damn front bolt.

Pro:

1. Throw reduction
They are not kidding. At least 40% is advertised. I am no longer rowing a boat.
2. Shifter Placement
I'm 6'3" @ 280lbs.

With the stock shifter my arm was sitting a bit more forward than comfortable. Now it's about 1" farther back, and my arm is in a more natural position while resting.

The shifter also sits higher. Again, more ergonomically correct for me
3. Gear Engagement
There is absolutely no confusion about being in gear. There is an audible and physical "click" when you shift into/out of gear.

I like it. With my OEM shifter I had ground 3rd gear a few times thinking I was in gear, but was only part-way there. Not an issue anymore
4. Looks
Only a motorhead would really notice anything is different. I left the leather boot alone, and the Hurst ball is the only indication anything is "weird". The White is a nice contrast with my black leather & black dash

Con:

1. ZeroInGold said it had the dreaded rattle.
Didn't experience it tonight during my testdrive luckily. But I drive with my hand on the shifter...so I doubt I'll ever see it actually

If it appears, I already have that Gun oil in my Gun Cabinet
2. Handle/Ball placement
the shifter now sits at least 1" farther back, and 1.5" taller than the stock shifter.

I typically change the radio channel with hand on the shifter and mid finger...but now cannot. I know, it's stupid...but I'm a creature of habit. have to retrain myself.

So I am a happy camper. The Hurst is an entry level short throw shifter...and you get an excellent product for the price. And I can't complain as I got a super screamin deal for mine used.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

btw, that 3 hour install was only really about 2 hours

I have the Track Pack...so no jack. And the car is too low for my Bottle Jack to fit.

Luckily I remembered my Expedition has a Scissor Jack. That whole process took roughly 1 hour just to get some jackstands under there...bleh
Old 10-22-2009, 01:31 AM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

Good to hear. i'm looking into one.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:35 AM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs up

I think everybody should get Hurst short throw shifter or at least somewhat short throw shifter because you know what gear you're in after you shift and it's a lot more fun to drive with it!

Glad to hear it worked out well for you man.

Ps. Even though I don't race, but I can tell it definitely helps you out.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

for the money...$180 shipped is an awesome deal for what you get. Sure it ain't as fancy as the Tri-Ax, MGW or some others...but the results are amazing.

I might later upgrade to the Pro 5 for the 3rd gear assist. But for now, I can't argue with $80
Old 10-22-2009, 02:29 AM
ZeroIngold
2nd Gear Member

Glad to hear you liked it. I liked it for awhile but I wanted my stock **** back and a little more of an upgrade so I got an MGW.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

congrats on the new shifter
Old 10-22-2009, 08:06 AM
GreenBully

Guess I'll find out how hard that bolt is because I just orderd the billet comp, should be here today.
How much room do you figure I'll need under the car? I made some ramps that will get it about 3-4" higher. And what do you mean "Track Pack...so no jack.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 AM
08SilverStang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenBully
Guess I'll find out how hard that bolt is because I just orderd the billet comp, should be here today.
How much room do you figure I'll need under the car? I made some ramps that will get it about 3-4" higher. And what do you mean "Track Pack...so no jack.
I think he means the Bullitt sits a little lower than a standard Gt. I don't think its sits much lower, just a little bit.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenBully
And what do you mean "Track Pack...so no jack.
Pretty sure he means that with the FRPP Track Pack installed, his car sits ~1.5" lower and therefore can not fit a hydraulic jack under the car and have room to jack it up.

Last edited by thedrod; 10-22-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Hurst Short Throw Installed - Me Like