Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on painting stock rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Questions on painting stock rims

Kinda considering painting mine since i cant afford the ones i want for a while...
What would be the best paint to do this properly.
I hopefully can find the time to do this properly but want to make sure it turns out good.
I have a paint sprayer although its not a great one.
Should i bother with a good type of paint or just get some spray paint and wet sand a while?

Ill probably wait till i find a used stock bullitt rim on CL and test it out first since i see a few damaged ones get split up and sold every now and then.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Don't even waste your time painting them! Powdercoat them. You can get them done for about $35-$40 per wheel in any colors you want. I just had the wheels on my wifes car powdercoated 60% gloss black(from factory silver) because nobody makes a stock sized aftermarket wheel for it. Powdercoating is what's done with all factory coated wheels. Paint will come off fairly quickly.

Last edited by Scotte28516; 10-28-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

if you prep the rim with sandpaper and use a ton of light thin coats with the spraypaint...and then follow it up with clearcoat

I've seen that setup come out looking really nice, and they last. especially if you use a self-etching paint as a primer first. between that & the sandpaper, you get a great adhesion surface.

powdercoating is an option, but once it chips, you are screwed. and the majority of powdercoating jobs lack any luster or shine. the ones I've seen in person are all dull and flat looking.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
if you prep the rim with sandpaper and use a ton of light thin coats with the spraypaint...and then follow it up with clearcoat

I've seen that setup come out looking really nice, and they last. especially if you use a self-etching paint as a primer first. between that & the sandpaper, you get a great adhesion surface.

powdercoating is an option, but once it chips, you are screwed. and the majority of powdercoating jobs lack any luster or shine. the ones I've seen in person are all dull and flat looking.
Your factory Bullit rims are powdercoated! The only powdercoating that is flat or dull is when doing flat or matte finish. All powdercoating is done in terms of percentage of gloss. You obviously know very little about powder coat. All factory rims other than polished or raw aluminum are powdercoated, from all manufacturers. It is also much more durable than any spray on paint, no matter how many coats you use. To chip it requires a fairly signifigant impact from something. It resists scratching about 100% better than regular paint. It's also the only paint that can be used on magnesium that won't crack and peel due to the breathing of the magnesium. Know your facts.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:25 AM
mustangrider48

I'm pondering on getting my wheels powdercoated. What types of places usually do this?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:06 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Scotte28516
Your factory Bullit rims are powdercoated!

Know your facts.
proof?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangrider48
I'm pondering on getting my wheels powdercoated. What types of places usually do this?
Just look up powdercoating in your local Yellow Pages. If you don't see it there, look under metal finishing.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:52 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

powder coating isn't worth the money, plain and simple - my friend paid quite a bit to have the fake beadlock-look trim rings on his MT wheels done and they have several chips and nicks in them - look at the frame of a harley that's actually ridden ...you'll find several chips, scratches, etc.

i painted the inserts on my wheels a couple years ago and they don't look too bad, a few chips here and there, but i also have to drive down a 1/2 mile of dirt/rock road to work everyday too.

sand paper to scuff the surface, prime, paint and clear - you can do it yourself for not much money at all, only time
Old 10-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by landon.moss
powder coating isn't worth the money, plain and simple - my friend paid quite a bit to have the fake beadlock-look trim rings on his MT wheels done and they have several chips and nicks in them - look at the frame of a harley that's actually ridden ...you'll find several chips, scratches, etc.

i painted the inserts on my wheels a couple years ago and they don't look too bad, a few chips here and there, but i also have to drive down a 1/2 mile of dirt/rock road to work everyday too.

sand paper to scuff the surface, prime, paint and clear - you can do it yourself for not much money at all, only time
ROFLOL! Tard! We toured the York, Pa. Herley Davidson plant where they build the Touring and Softail bikes. They do not powdercoat the frames, they have a state of the art paint department and PAINT their bikes! They do their own chrome plating, but they don't powder coat. Check out their website and you'll learn something!
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US
Old 10-29-2009, 03:38 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

dude, we get it. Powdercoating gives you a raging hard-on.

We all have our opinion, but it'd be nice if you left the rudeness at the door. Sorry we can't all circle jerk together. it just ain't meant to be.

Quick Reply: Questions on painting stock rims