Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket mods and insurance claims

Old 10-28-2009, 01:27 PM
dnatetsu
1st Gear Member

Angry aftermarket mods and insurance claims

Hello all, Put my car into a wall off of some black ice, Street Scene gen 1 front fascia destroyed, hood, grill, and I'm sure many other things. State Farm insured it with these mods and they are not the problem. I will only use a State Farm preferred shop as they will back me up if problems arise and that's the problem, these shops won't warrantee the work on aftermarket kits because of possible fit issues, therefore they don't want to do it.
Anyone experience this? Carson City, NV by the way.
#%*&*&%$
Old 10-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Yeah that's a typical body shop excuse for "we're too stupid/lazy to install aftermarket parts", just keep trying different shops until one agrees, and tell all your friends to stay away from the ones that don't. Those are guaranteed the worst places in town.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:45 PM
dnatetsu
1st Gear Member

It's not that they aren't capable, they won't do it because it's an ins. claim and they have to warranty it for State Farm, if they can't warranty it they won't do it.
I've called everyone. Thank for the reply, I've got to find someone who will do it.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

You need to contact State Farm and tell them your delima. They should be able to find a shop that will do the work at their expense.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

ask if you can sign a waiver to absolve them from any liability or the paint warranty.

it's a simple paint and bolt up right? I wouldn't personally worry about a warranty. just as long as the shop does good work, and they repair all of the damage hidden beneath the sheet metal
Old 10-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You realize that waiver would be a simple way for them to cut corners and screw you right?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Yeah, goto a different shop. I had my side exhaust get screwed up once. The insurance company paid for it of course and the shop had no problem following the insurance warranty and didn't think twice about it.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

A lot of shops wont do aftermarket parts. I know my dads shop doesnt. They used to but too many problems with aftermarket parts. They would run through multiple bumpers and things like that because the fit an finish wasnt up to their standard. I try to explain to them if you order the parts from the right places they are usually pretty good. Problem is people who buy the bumpers for their cars buy the cheap ones a lot of times.

Either way, I would try to get another shop to do it. Its not really that big of a deal if its not a recommended shop though. Just make sure you know the shops warranty.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
You realize that waiver would be a simple way for them to cut corners and screw you right?
true. that is a possibility

but if you visit a reputable shop, they won't do that crap.

it's easy to tell if they did a good job. just do a good inspection before accepting delivery of the vehicle back.

I'd prefer to have that Insurance Company Warranty myself, but as has been stated, alot of Body Shops have issues with doing work on non-OEM components. Can't say I blame them either. Some of the crap people buy is pure ****.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:43 PM
cobra0478
1st Gear Member

Try a dealership.
There are several here in the Houston area who add aftermarket packages to cars brefore they sell them,and some who send them out for the addons.
Maybe if you check around with the dealers you can atleast get a referal.
Don

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: aftermarket mods and insurance claims