Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baby seat question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Father of 3 here.

5 yr old, and twin 1 yr olds

Graco makes a highly rated setup. I believe it's called the Snugride. I've used it on all 3 kids.

There is a base that you snap the carseat into. The base stays mounted/belted up 100%.
You simply pop the kiddo in/out as needed. Very very usefull for when they are sleeping...and especially in a rear facing seat in a tight quarters car like a Mustang. You physically don't have much room to be buckling up a kiddo and messing with all that crap.

a normal seat will require you climb your happy behind back there and fight the buckles. the snap-in style can be easily done from the side of the car
Each of my kids goes through 3 carseats at a minimum. My twins are on #2 right now, and in about 6 months I'm buying the 3rd seat for them.

1st - Click & Go setup. kid stays in seat, and the seat detached from a mounted base
2nd - Convertable Front/Rear facing seat. For when the kids are 6+ months and good for that transition from rear to forward facing @ 1yr of age. So gets used from 6 month to about 18 months.
3rd - Forward only facing at about 18 months. Typically a smaller seat and the kid can sit in them until their old/big enough to utilize a lap/shoulder belt.
4th - Booster seat. when kid is big enough for the OEM belts

I know you can cut my carseat selection into 2-3 seats...but I prefer my kids to be in the best seat possible for each stage of thier life. Safety 1st. My wallet will recover later.
please don't skimp on carseats. I see people re-use them, and buy used ones off Craigslist...scary.

A DECENT carseat will run you about $100. Figure on spending $150 for a GOOD carseat.

I am against jumping straight into a Convertible seat like the Recaro because of the childs size. Sure, on paper a newborn can fit into a convertible seat...but Newborns to about 6 months are tiny things.
by their very nature, Convertible carseats are huge. they have to accomodate many different positions and ages of kids.

In my eyes, a 10 lb baby is lost in those puppies.

hence I used a smaller style seat first, and then about 6-8 months switched to the Convertible as my kids got bigger
Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
Father of 3 here.
Figure on spending $150 for a GOOD carseat
Or up to $1,000. There are some very expensive seats out there.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
Or up to $1,000. There are some very expensive seats out there.
so very true...but after about the $200 point, you are pretty much getting nothing but a name. they are damn near all on equal footing by then in terms of safety for the child

have you guys seen the carseats with airbags? they're out there
Old 10-29-2009, 07:10 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

first off, congrats!!

as most others have said, any seat should pretty much work

Last edited by 05 Mustang; 10-29-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:54 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

If you have a second hand baby store, go there and test fit the rear facing seats and see what will fit. Its gonna be tight. When you find one that will work, then go buy it new.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:13 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

I have a two year old, one on the way, and my only car is a mustang. i have 3 dollars to my name. so no beater or second car for me. gotta make it work,

i used the seat that comes out of the carriage, sits ok. now i use a graco.

Last edited by hardcore302; 10-29-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:32 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Tylus, Thanks for the advice. I will got to babierus and have them put that seat in my car and see how it goes. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:23 AM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

hey guys I want to revive this thread.....
My wife and I are expecting. It looks like I will be driving the baby to and from day care so I need to be able to fit a car seat in my car....

how many of you have car seats in your mustangs? my cousin had an 08 GT and traded it in for a Taurus because the 2nd rear facing seat wouldnt fit into the car. Another cousin is having twins, due about 2 weeks before my wife, he just traded his '10 mustang in for a new mini van.
I tried my brother's car seat for his 4 month old in my car last weekend and it fit fine, (a lot better fit than his 02 GT) im just worried about later on down the road.

have you guys had success with this and been able to keep your car?
I really dont want to get rid of my car. and buying a 3rd vehicle is out of the question. And I will never own a mini van! My wife drives a Escape so that will be our "family car" for now. it will usually just be me and the baby in the car so im assuming if the car seat is big i can leave the passenger seat forward for more room. just have to get it into the car semi easily.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I think a rear facing seat may offer some problems. But I have had a front facing seat in my backseat for awhile with no problems. My daughter is 4 and she has plenty of room when she is in her seat.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

my kids are both bigger now, but the booster my 6-year-old sits in i had to change a few times. the problem is that the seats are very narrow at the back and many don;t sit flat. You need them to be flat and the only way to really figure it out is to try them. Stay away from wide ones though. You can drop by the police station in most cities and they will check your car seat fit for you.

Quick Reply: Baby seat question