Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff housing, axle tubes, and brackets not painted. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Interestingly, a thin layer of rust is not only considered normal on these components, it also acts as a layer of protection against rapid, additional corrosion. It'll outlast the car no matter how long you run it. If it bothers you, apply a coating of whatever paintable rust sealant you like and then paint to your satisfaction. These are Stangs, not some exotic top-of-the-line show piece.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:48 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Interestingly, a thin layer of rust is not only considered normal on these components, it also acts as a layer of protection against rapid, additional corrosion. It'll outlast the car no matter how long you run it.
That is interesting to know.

I'm guessing it's akin to what happens to bronze over time -- it becomes a nice patina/green color, actually protecting the (more often than not) art object from the elements.

Last edited by 7up; 10-31-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:45 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

People can justify and candy-coat things all they want, but in the end, a $30k+ car should have these parts painted. Rust is rust, looks like crap, and screams cheap.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:57 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
... a $30k+ car should have these parts painted. Rust is rust, looks like crap, and screams cheap.
Yep - I suppose a Mustang with a patina coated underside just wouldn't cut it.

It's the money they are saving dude, the money. And it is a simple (yet safe?) way to cut corners and save cash for Ford, my guess.

While I whole heartedly agree with you, the bean counters at Ford don't see it the same as (some of) us.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:56 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Yea, that's one of the first things I noticed when looking around the underside of my car after I bought it. I thought mine was F*cked up in some way, then I searched and found out they all look like that. One day I may jack it up and spray it, or maybe never. I had a Camaro that came from back east and I bought it out on the west coast. It had a few spots of minor rust on the underside and in the 12 years that I had it the rust never really grew any. It was just minor surface rust and in the dry west it had nowhere to grow. So it's really not a big deal unless you live back east in the snow belt, then I guess you need undercoating.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTPony
Yep - I suppose a Mustang with a patina coated underside just wouldn't cut it.

It's the money they are saving dude, the money. And it is a simple (yet safe?) way to cut corners and save cash for Ford, my guess.

While I whole heartedly agree with you, the bean counters at Ford don't see it the same as (some of) us.
I hear you....those friggin' bean counters.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Stupid question.....so don't bash too hard. Can I paint right over the rusted areas or do I need to remove surface rust? If I need to remove the rust, what's the best method? Also, can anyone recommend a paint product? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
...Can I paint right over the rusted areas or do I need to remove surface rust? If I need to remove the rust, what's the best method? Also, can anyone recommend a paint product? Thanks.
There are a few products that you can use to apply over rust which will seal it and allow you to paint over it. It's been so long that I don't recall the product I used to use, plus there must be more products available. I was at a Home Depot recently and recall seeing a Rustoleum product that you applied over rust but don't recall if it was a basecoat or one-step paint. It shouldn't be too hard to Google and get some ideas.

I don't think I'd bother removing the rust. It's not like anyone is going to be looking at it close up so it doesn't need to be perfect.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I've never used any of their products, but I think Eastwood Company has something called Paint Over Rust. You might want to check on it.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Yes, Rust-Oleum does have a product that you are supposed to be able to apply directly over rusted metal. It is a primer not a finish paint. I have used it but I have never put it on full on rust. I usually take a wire brush and try to remove as much rust as I can first before applying that. I don't think it is a perfect product, more like it will slow down the rust but not eliminate it completely. Rust is like Dry rot, once it's there, you can only cure it by removing it, not covering it up. If it's really superficial rust, (like mine) a wire brush will get rid of 90% of it with minimal effort.

Quick Reply: Diff housing, axle tubes, and brackets not painted. Why?