Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff housing, axle tubes, and brackets not painted. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:30 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
Stupid question.....so don't bash too hard. Can I paint right over the rusted areas or do I need to remove surface rust? If I need to remove the rust, what's the best method? Also, can anyone recommend a paint product? Thanks.
Not a stupid question...
POR 15 is what I've been using for years and it's on my car.
Best product out there, it comes black or gray.
Lightly wire brush the rusty stuff, and brush it on with a regular paint brush.
The metal doesn't have to be really clean, that's what's great about it...
Apply it on surface rust, use about 2 coats and you're done.

Two advices though:
1- Don't put any on your skin, it's a real pain to get off.
2- This product has a short shelf life once open.
If possible, keep it in a container small enough to trap the minimum air inside.
In other words, make sure said container is full.

http://www.por15.com/
Old 11-01-2009, 05:54 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Not a stupid question...
POR 15 is what I've been using for years and it's on my car.
Best product out there, it comes black or gray.
Lightly wire brush the rusty stuff, and brush it on with a regular paint brush.
The metal doesn't have to be really clean, that's what's great about it...
Apply it on surface rust, use about 2 coats and you're done.

Two advices though:
1- Don't put any on your skin, it's a real pain to get off.
2- This product has a short shelf life once open.
If possible, keep it in a container small enough to trap the minimum air inside.
In other words, make sure said container is full.

http://www.por15.com/

Thanks for the great info.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
People can justify and candy-coat things all they want, but in the end, a $30k+ car should have these parts painted. Rust is rust, looks like crap, and screams cheap.

I agree. I know this isnt some $100k + super car, but I'd like to keep it for a while, and possibly pass it down to my son in a decade or so. I'd rather it not look like farmer Joe's 1972 Dodge truck when I do it.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:24 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
I agree. I know this isnt some $100k + super car, but I'd like to keep it for a while, and possibly pass it down to my son in a decade or so. I'd rather it not look like farmer Joe's 1972 Dodge truck when I do it.
HAhaha, the funny thing is that I have a Dodge truck and it HAS a painted underside.

This is the first car that I have purchased that has bare metal areas under it. The Japanese cars all have an undercoating and my Ram is fully painted underneath including the differential and drive shaft. Go figure
Old 11-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

There are several reasons why car manufacturers DON'T paint areas under the car. As nuke pointed out, the surface rust protects the underlying metal. Since 95% oft he people don't care about what they can't see the OEm won't paint the part because most people won't maintain it.

However, this also has a secondary purpose. In areas where road salt is used or other chemicals can/will get onto the underside of the car, when not removed they EAT paint. The bubbles of paint actually TRAP water and other contaminants under them thus accelerating the corrisoin you wanted to avoid by painting the part in the first place.

Point is...if you plan on painting it you better plan on maintaining it just like the body of the car (wash, wax, clean etc) otherwise you're worse off than where you started.

If you are that concerned with the underside of the car, paint it and maintain it, or undercoat it. Both require additional work after they're done.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
There are several reasons why car manufacturers DON'T paint areas under the car. As nuke pointed out, the surface rust protects the underlying metal. Since 95% oft he people don't care about what they can't see the OEm won't paint the part because most people won't maintain it.

However, this also has a secondary purpose. In areas where road salt is used or other chemicals can/will get onto the underside of the car, when not removed they EAT paint. The bubbles of paint actually TRAP water and other contaminants under them thus accelerating the corrisoin you wanted to avoid by painting the part in the first place.

Point is...if you plan on painting it you better plan on maintaining it just like the body of the car (wash, wax, clean etc) otherwise you're worse off than where you started.

If you are that concerned with the underside of the car, paint it and maintain it, or undercoat it. Both require additional work after they're done.
All good points. I would sum it up by saying:1- If you are back East, don't bother cause it will be a pain in the butt to maintain. 2- if you are in the West we're we hardly see any rain and it's always dry, then you can go for it and enjoy a pretty underbelly on your ride.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:20 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Well I decided to put some paint on the pumpkin and tubes today. I didn't get every nook and cranny but it'll do.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:37 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Aw man, I HATE YOU!!! Now you make me want to clean mine up. Shoot, like I don't have enough work to do.

Looks nice dude. Better than that rusty orange look I have going. Did you wire brush or just spray over the rust?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:10 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

I didn't wire brush it that would be a lot of work. It was hard enough painting the the pumpkin. I'll get more detailed with it when I put a new suspension kit on it(roush stage 3). I figured it would be better to do it now since its new then it would be later when everything is dirty.

Last edited by dstang10; 11-08-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:56 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Back in 2007 Ford at least painted the pumpkin, but left the axle tubes and suspension brackets bare metal which would corrode. I removed the rust and applied primer and paint. Two years later, it still looks pretty good.