MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Broke my car. Help with diagnosis Please! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/571061-broke-my-car-help-with-diagnosis-please.html)

TorchRed04GT 10-31-2009 02:32 AM

Broke my car. Help with diagnosis Please!

Hey guys,

So I took my car to the track after getting my mutha thumpr's put in and my 4:10's to see how the car ran. Well, long story short, I accidentally slammed the car from from 3 to 2 at wot and 6500 rpm's and now my car is whining when my foot is not on the gas. It still whines when the car is in neutral as well. The tranny lets me go into each gear without any trouble and it shifts normally. Any help on the situation is appreciated. Obviously, I am taking the car in next week to have it looked at, but I was wondering what some people thought it might be. My two guesses are either the tranny or the gears or differential My questions are:

1. If the tranny was hurt, would there still be whining in neutral?
2. Could this be the differential or the gears?
3. Is there any chance I got lucky and the gears might need to be re-shimmed?

TorchRed04GT 10-31-2009 02:43 AM

Just to clarify, there is no whining when I am on the gas. It only occurs when I am out of the gas in all gears and in neutral as well.

moburto07GT 10-31-2009 03:10 AM

Ok so it only whines when your foot is pressing in the clutch while sitting still with the trans in any gear?? And with your foot off the clutch while sitting in neutral??

This is just a GUESS but possibly a TOB/slave cylinder, or a pilot bearing. Mine makes a very low pitched whine when it is cold. But stops after it warms up, and yes i have had it checked nothing was found to be out of the ordinary. I dont think it would be the rearend if it doesnt whine while driving. BUT the only way to tell is to drop the trans.

TorchRed04GT 10-31-2009 04:07 AM

Sorry for the confusion, the car does not whine at all when it is not moving. I meant the whining noise is still present if you are going at a set speed at put the car in neutral. You can hear the whining stop as I slow down to a complete stop. I just hope it is something in the rear and not the tranny. The noise seems to go away when the car is under load, acceleration seems to be normal and the clutch is not slipping at all.

brunobluto 10-31-2009 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by TorchRed04GT (Post 6605720)
Sorry for the confusion, the car does not whine at all when it is not moving. I meant the whining noise is still present if you are going at a set speed at put the car in neutral. You can hear the whining stop as I slow down to a complete stop. I just hope it is something in the rear and not the tranny. The noise seems to go away when the car is under load, acceleration seems to be normal and the clutch is not slipping at all.

Sounds like you messed up the driveshaft , pinion angle or the pinion shaft/ ring gear set-up for sure. All three would make that particular whining on decel noise.

rford426 10-31-2009 09:13 AM

were the gears broke in?? or from the shop to the track?

BruceH 10-31-2009 09:37 AM

Does any of this fit your problem?

http://www.ringpinion.com/FAQ.aspx#14

pascal 10-31-2009 09:52 AM

Damn man, you're supposed to break the gears in, not the car!
I'm sure that even if you didn't miss your shifting, you'd hurt the gears regardless.
I just hope I'm wrong...

VanWilder 10-31-2009 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by rford426 (Post 6605838)
were the gears broke in?? or from the shop to the track?

yes his gears were broke in...he probably has 1500+ miles on them since the install

rford426 10-31-2009 02:52 PM

K haha just making sure... Hope it's nothing to major I just had my pinion seal done my rear was leaking....eww lol

Fort LiquordaleGT 10-31-2009 04:28 PM

Yes, the trans can whine even while in neutral if the car is moving. The shaft in the trans is still moving when the car is moving, putting it in neutral only disconnects it from the engine, not the rear and drive shaft.

If you want answers do this..

Put in N turn off car and coast and see if it makes the noise. If it does we can eliminate the clutch being the problem. That leaves the tranny back.

Disconnect the drive shaft, push the car, if you get a whine, it's the rear. No whine means it's the tranny.

If I had to guess, it's your tranny. 6500 is a massive amount of power to put into 2nd gear. Did you quickly get out or did the engine redline and shut the fuel off and lock the wheels up?

TorchRed04GT 10-31-2009 05:48 PM

I quickly got out of the gear, it might of axle hopped a couple of times, but it did not lock up the rear. Well, this does not sound good. I am super pissed at myself. So if the tranny is shot how much am I looking at for a tranny rebuild?

rford426 10-31-2009 06:05 PM

Keep us posted man good luck!

TorchRed04GT 11-01-2009 12:03 AM

Thanks I will more than likely end up replacing the gears, differential, and going with moser 31 spline. At that point, I will address the tranny issues if there are any. This is going to be one expensive mistake. Oh well, at least I have all winter to get it done lol.

rford426 11-01-2009 08:30 AM

^BTW Your car looks amazing it all flows togg perfect...Nice look!

Fort LiquordaleGT 11-01-2009 08:40 AM

You may not need a new tranny, it all depends on what if any you broke in it. I had my old 5.0 tranny rebuilt for 500 bucks..

pascal 11-01-2009 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT (Post 6607239)
You may not need a new tranny, it all depends on what if any you broke in it. I had my old 5.0 tranny rebuilt for 500 bucks..

On a 5.0 it's a T5, which is a hunk of schit (no offense).
It will be more expensive to go through the Tremec he has now.

I say it's a good time to go 6spd if his current tranny is waxed.
However, with his 4.10 gears, the 1st gear might be useless...

Simon1 11-01-2009 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by TorchRed04GT (Post 6606976)
Thanks I will more than likely end up replacing the gears, differential, and going with moser 31 spline. At that point, I will address the tranny issues if there are any. This is going to be one expensive mistake. Oh well, at least I have all winter to get it done lol.

You already have 31 spline axles. No need for anything more for 99% of us. IF they are damaged, which I wold put money on they are not, then an upgrade would not cost any extra than OEM pieces.

Your differential and gears are probably okay. Usually when something like that happens it will break teeth off in the ring/pinion if the diff does get damaged.

I would lean towards a transmission issue.

VanWilder 11-05-2009 09:22 PM

UPDATE!!! It ended up being the differential and gears...both getting replaced today...I don't have a clue exactly what or how they were damaged just know those were the two things that needed replaced...Im sure TorchRed04GT will give an update on details sometime soon...no tranny issues tho so thats a plus

pascal 11-05-2009 09:24 PM

Glad your tranny is safe.

TorchRed04GT 11-05-2009 10:57 PM

Thanks, yes the tranny appears safe. From my understanding, one of the bearings on the differential had fell off and was kind of just bouncing around in the transfer case, which is why the gears got screwed as well. Will be picking up the car in the morning. Can't wait to drive like a Grandma for another 500 miles. YAY

Also, will be selling a Steeda shifter very soon, so if anyone has a shifter you are looking to sell, shoot me a pm.

Thanks for the help Van, I appreciate it.

Simon1 11-05-2009 10:59 PM

I'm glad my guess was wrong. Much cheaper than a tranny rebuild.

VanWilder 11-06-2009 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by TorchRed04GT (Post 6618110)
Thanks, yes the tranny appears safe. From my understanding, one of the bearings on the differential had fell off and was kind of just bouncing around in the transfer case, which is why the gears got screwed as well. Will be picking up the car in the morning. Can't wait to drive like a Grandma for another 500 miles. YAY

Also, will be selling a Steeda shifter very soon, so if anyone has a shifter you are looking to sell, shoot me a pm.

Thanks for the help Van, I appreciate it.

No Problem brotha ;) maybe after you finally get it broke in AGAIN...we can have that race :)

TorchRed04GT 11-06-2009 11:32 AM

Yeah no joke, one day we will hae both cars out again with no problems. Now if I could just find some cash for those Flows.

Later brotha

07VistaChicago 11-06-2009 06:34 PM

Glad to hear the problem was a relatively inexpensive one. I can relate to the pain you feel when you break your car. I went through 2 T-5s, one rear end, and 2 head gaskets in my 89 stang