Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the proper procedure for engine break-in

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:17 PM
cgm10gt

Default What is the proper procedure for engine break-in

I was reading this article http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39955 and was wondering if that is the correct procedure or do you really need to take it easy for the first 1000 miles. This guy says that you need to run it hard for about the first 200 to 400 miles, once that is done, the engine is broke in and ready to go.

He states that at first, when he bought his car, it didnt feel like it had much power, and as he went through the break in procedure, it felt like it gradually gained more power, and in the end, he says that the car will perform much better if you break it in this way as opposed to breaking it in the way the manual says to.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Well just like anything its a matter of opinion. I drove mine easy and some what hard the first 1000k, by no means did I beat on it and smash gears. The rear-end really is where the break in is important 500+ miles. I would break it in by the manual, don't use cruise control, no hard revs, vary rpm.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Whoa!! Everyone has their own thoughts of breaking in a new motor, but Ive always babied mine for the first 1k miles and not setting cruise on or keeping at a steady speed for some time! But just drive normal I would not do any real hard WOT from every stop light but basically just driving the car normal will start to break it in! Im sure others will drop by with other thoughts aswell!!! Good luck and have fun!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:31 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Definitely is a matter of an opinion. I have always driven every vehicle I have owned hard. Have never babied any one of them. Had a few cars on the dyno or at the track the day after I got them from the dealership and never any problems with them.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Did mine by the owner's manual.....
Old 11-01-2009, 11:59 PM
cgm10gt

Ok, well let me ask, do you feel that if you break it in according to the manual (being easy on it the first miles) that you might suffer performance loss and/or decreased engine life? According to the guy (in the link I posted), if you do not break it in hard, the rings will not fully seat and this can cause oil and gas blow by, which can, ultimately, cause you not to be able to get the full power out of your car, and, it may decrease the engine life (if I read it correctly).
Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 AM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cgm10gt
Ok, well let me ask, do you feel that if you break it in according to the manual (being easy on it the first miles) that you might suffer performance loss and/or decreased engine life? According to the guy (in the link I posted), if you do not break it in hard, the rings will not fully seat and this can cause oil and gas blow by, which can, ultimately, cause you not to be able to get the full power out of your car, and, it may decrease the engine life (if I read it correctly).
I did mine as wilkinda did -- by the book (read: owner's manual).

Having said that, I'm nowhere near the auto-wiz the guy in the article seems to be.

Where's Nuke? I'd like to hear his comments on this -- he's a straight shooting poster, and may have some insight as to the validity of this guy and his article. And if he doesn't know, I'm sure he'd say so
Old 11-02-2009, 03:04 AM
USAF in Germany
2nd Gear Member

There are many opinions out there, and mine aligns with the procedure in the following link. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 11-02-2009, 07:12 AM
SMiller
2nd Gear Member

I keep throttle under 3\4, I rev it 3\4 rpm, lots of city driving or stopping and starting is a good thing to break everything in.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

In the first 1000 miles I did the ocassional burnouts and 1-2 powershifts. Too hard to resist...

Quick Reply: What is the proper procedure for engine break-in