Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Force Clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:02 PM
MT66Coupe

Default Center Force Clutch noise

Hey all, I have a question regarding our 2006 S197. It's a GT 4.6 Saleen S/C with a Tremec TKO600 Manual Swap from an auto. that was a TON of work, and continue to work out little bugs. First something happened with the RAM clutches slave cylinder in which it blew a seal out and I lost clutch pedal. but I got that fixed and now everything seems pretty good. My only issue is the Centerforce clutch (with the centrifugal weights) makes alot of noise whenver the clutch is not pressed in. It doesnt sound like a throwout bearing or anything like that, it sounds best I can describe it online is crickets, it's like metal on metal squeeking. I've removed the inspection cover on the bellhousing and sprayed the weight blocks with a little bit of viscotene (very tiny amount so it doesnt come in contact with the clutch material) and the noise went away for about 30 secs. then it came right back. Has anyone else ever experienced any noise from their weight blocks? and if so what can I do to fix it? if anything? This is not my car it is my father-in-laws, but I've done most of the work to get it to the point where it's at now. With the Manual Trans swap it dyno'd at 434HP and 510ft-lb torque. Fairly impressive in my books. If you need to know more about the car, let me know and I can provide that info.
Thanks in Advance.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:16 PM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

I had a centerforce installed in my V6 and right off the bat i notice it making noise. Mine is a rattling sound thou. I took it back in to the ford dealer that installed it and they said it was normal Gear rollover. Sound only happens when the clutch is out and and i am sitting in neutral. If i give it just a little gas sound will go away or i can press the stick up against one of the gear "gates" not press hard but just a little pressure. Not sure if ford was blowin smoke but the clutch has been installed for 20,000miles with out a issue.

I do hate sitting at a light with that thing rattling thou, sometimes i will hold the clutch in if i am trying to look cool if there is a car next to me i know they can hear that rattling and are wondering What the Hell is with my car.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

shoulda got a spec...
Old 11-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

im getting my centerforce installed tomorrow morning, im hopeing i dont have any probs, if i do il post
Old 11-04-2009, 03:08 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
shoulda got a spec...
Their record isn't much better (and that's coming from someone who does have a SPEC).
Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 AM
MT66Coupe

the noise really wouldn't concern me except, it only started after the slave blew the seal, before that the first time we installed the clutch and conversion, there were no noises, it was quiet, and perfect, then blew the seal barely made it home, R&R'd the trans sent the slave off to be rebuilt, and then put it all back together and now I have this screeching sound. It's really annoying to me, my father-in-law who owns it and primarily drives it, can't hear it, but I can hear it over my Cummins diesel that was idleing right next to it.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

I used a centreforce clutch in my MR2 when i had it, had nothing but problems with it, i would never use one again!