Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardwire Xm radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default Hardwire Xm radio

I'm going to hardwire my xmradio, using this:

http://store.xmfanstore.com/myfihrdpwr.html

The radio will be to the right of the existing head unit.

Which wire should I tap into so I only have keyed power?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-07-2009, 03:31 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I don't know but, where the f*** have you been?
Old 11-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

haha, i got a little tired of the repeat threads so ive been lukring in ot for a long time.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:06 PM
WVPony

I hardwired my sirius to my 09. I'm not an expert but I got it working fine. You want to be sure to wire it to not only a "keyed power" fuse, but to a keyed power that it part of the delay system. If you only wire it to keyed power like fuse #13 it will come on when key is on but when you shut off the car the satellite will go off and you won't have any sound--except maybe static--because your car radio is still on until you open the door.
(BTW, I DID hardwire my radar detector to #13 because I DIDN'T want it to stay on until I opened the door.)

I really like Ford's idea of having radio sound after I turn it off and take the key out until a door is opened, so I had to find a fuse that would keep the satellite on as long as the other accessory delays (radio and windows) were working until the door is opened. After a few tries, I wired mine to fuse #6--a 5Amp fuse. You can use an "Add a tap" from AutoZone or just put the wire around one of the prongs on the fuse and stick it in (I'll probably get someone to write in about the dangers of this second way, but I've done it many times with no problems to other cars).

Also, when starting to do this I found it's easier to remove the entire kick panel that covers the passenger side fuse box. You just pry up the step strip and then pull the kick panel prongs out (I think there's 2 on the upper pillar part of it and one down below the fuse panel cover). It's easier to get to stuff this way.

My satellite radio--a small Sirius--sits in the indentation in front of the AC controls--I used heavy duty velcro on its base and it sits there just fine and you can still use the controls, although you have to move the radio forward a bit to get to the defroster button.

Hope this helps. I'm not a mechanic so I don't get to offer advice very often, but I just went through this process a few months ago and am happy to share my experiences with you. Good luck. You'll definitely love the cleaner look of not having that stupid looking coiled wire going into you power outlet.