Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shut off on the highway!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:19 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by GstangT
Yes.. please keep it on topic. I really appreciate the help..
Sorry.

You might wanna ask in the 4.6 section, the gearheads there are more into engine troubleshoot.
Guys like hammeron, moose etc... may know.
Sounds like you do have a power drain somewhere...
Old 11-08-2009, 06:49 PM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

The way its starting and then stalling makes me think its a fuel issue. The way it sometimes wont turn over, and the way the radio died, makes me think its electrical... Have you tried riding a mountain bike? That should solve most of your issues, lol.

Hopefully the car will have the same issue for the guys at the shop so it can be diagnosed quickly. My sister had a similar problem with a Toyota 4runner. She took it to the shop a few times, and each time the problem couldnt be recreated.. She ended up buying a new car, lol.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:28 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I say first step, just pull out your battery and alternator and get them tested at your local auto shop, its free and easy to do. Then come back and we can troubleshoot further if need be.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

check your alternator fluid, maybe its time to replace your muffler belts too?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:06 PM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

Don't worry about it Pascal, it wasn't directed toward you in particular, but just in general.

Well when I dropped it off at the shop yesterday, they WERE able to recreate the problem, so hopefully they can find out what it is.. and my car isn't a damn lemon
Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

So in the end you didnt pull off anything and are gonna just throw money at it to get it fixed? Is it at least under warranty still?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

You need to buy a voltmeter and take readings from the battery and alternator both during cranking and while its running (if even for a short few seconds). That will tell us a bit more about what is going on. If I had to wager a guess, I'd definitely say its electrical. Perhaps a faulty main power relay.

Like others have said, test your battery and alternator. If you have an autozone locally they'll do both for free.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 AM
chain_rxn
1st Gear Member

my jeep did a very similar thing. turned out to be an oil pump or something-er-other. the engine would lose oil pressure and automatically shut down so as to not be damaged.

driving mustangs- 14 years
being a jackass- 0 years
Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 AM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

I had the same thing happen after a round of mods. It baffled me for a month or so, completely dying at the worst times. I finally realized that one of the two grounds on the upper radiator support was loose. It passed my visual inspection several times, but I finally caught it.

Be careful to check it when the engine is off. It shocked the living sh*t out of me.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 AM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
I say first step, just pull out your battery and alternator and get them tested at your local auto shop, its free and easy to do. Then come back and we can troubleshoot further if need be.
Do not pull out your battery and alternator. Local parts stores can test them in the car. You want them to test everything in the configuration that is causing problems... if you take them out, you waste a lot of time and energy.

Quick Reply: Car shut off on the highway!