Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Engine Rebuild in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:50 PM
DeamonSlayer69

Default Performance Engine Rebuild in Texas

Hey there gang, I am going to be moving to Ft. Hood, Texas (military thing) in May of this coming year and well I know that I will be going back to Iraq in my near future...the last time I was in that country, I used my money wisely and ordered a brand new 2008 Mustang GT, so now I want to rebuild my engine to crank out some serious power...(Camaros and Challengers) be afraid, be very afraid...I am coming for you!!! Anyway, does anyone here know of any good companies that I can have the engine turned to a monster...something like D.S.S. Racing would be good but they are not close to Ft. Hood...any help will be gratefull!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

There's nobody you would want working on your motor in the central texas area. Check up in Dallas/FW area or even better, have your car shipped to one of the more known companies (DSS, Livernois, MMR etc). If I was meaning to spend $10k+ on a built/blown setup I probably would have it shipped to folks that know what they're doing for the build/tuning.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I'm curious (and just throwing ideas around here) about the 5.0 Cammer block. FordRacing.com says it uses a stock stroke 4.6 crank, and stock length 4.6 connecting rods, but oversized pistons. Standard 4.6 deck height as well. I wonder how much of the 3V motor you could transfer over to that block, and how close you could get to the 400HP/TQ the 4V 5.0 Cammer makes.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I would also look at Al Papito racing for rebuilding your motor.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S281 E
I would also look at Al Papito racing for rebuilding your motor.
Ah, yes Al Papitto and Boss 330 racing are respectable builders as well.

I'm curious (and just throwing ideas around here) about the 5.0 Cammer block. FordRacing.com says it uses a stock stroke 4.6 crank, and stock length 4.6 connecting rods, but oversized pistons. Standard 4.6 deck height as well. I wonder how much of the 3V motor you could transfer over to that block, and how close you could get to the 400HP/TQ the 4V 5.0 Cammer makes.
I don't think you would even need to do that to make 400/400. A stroked 298ci 3V w/ the right heads/cams should make it...or pretty damn close. They rate that 400/400 at the flywheel correct?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, the 400is flywheel, should be on a fully dressed engine. It's also a factory engine, so Ford factory heads, cams, etc, so it should be able to make that power easy, and with good drivability, still leaving plenty of room for improvement with aftermarket heads and cams.

Obviously the full on Cammer build includes 4V heads which probably breathe at least a little better than the 3V... But if you could get close with a block and pistons (which runs 11:1 in the full build as opposed to the 9.8:1 stock 4.6), maybe some Hot Rods or other cam that lets you keep the adjustable timing... seems like that might be a better deal than a full stroker assembly, radical aftermarket cams, and heads.

Then again, I have no idea if it'd even be able to get close to those numbers... Wonder if anyone's got any experience with that.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Jim III @ JDM had a lot of experience with a N/A 3V he ran for quite awhile.

I dunno, you see guys in the magazine shootouts taking a stock block/heads/cam 3V and pushing 12 lbs of boost through it running low 11's, reliably at that. And the 3V strokers with forged assys, stock heads, cams, intake pushing 20 lbs of boost running 9's. Find someone to build your shortblock and crank the boost to insane levels, its easy as that.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

True. I guess I'm looking at it from a different perspective. I don't personally have tons of money to throw around, and prefer my cars N/A, so my ideas come from there. Going against the Challengers and Camaros, all you'd really need is about 400HP and good tires to beat em in a straight line, what with the weight difference and all. We already know the Mustang can out-handle them stock, so keeping the front end light by not slapping a S/C on there keeps your advantage in the corners too, should you ever track it.

Of course, there's also the "What do you have under the hood of that thing?" and when you pop it, looks like a stock 4.6 leading to lots of confusion though you don't get the engine bay bling of a S/C. (Do guys ever talk to each other after stoplight races anymore?) Of course, the whole point is moot if you can't bolt the 4.6 stuff back onto the Cammer block.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

You could get 400RWHP N/A without building the motor and saving you tons of money. If you know your the type that will want more later than I would consider beefing the motor now.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
True. I guess I'm looking at it from a different perspective ... Of course, the whole point is moot if you can't bolt the 4.6 stuff back onto the Cammer block.
Not to bring the dead back too much, or try to push my ideas about a ton, but apparently you can put the 3V back together with the (or at least a) 5.0 Cammer block (at least to a good degree).

And, according to this post on another forum you can pick up the street/strip Cammer block for $1,750 if you're a member there and order from them. Still no idea where to pick up those pistons from, though. Also, this particular block is a bit different from the regular cammer 5.0 block, in that the size/shape of the valley limits what supercharges you can bolt to it. So if you want forced induction, well... this route probably wasn't even on your map in the first place.

Quick Reply: Performance Engine Rebuild in Texas