Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First rainy day :-/

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:35 AM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

your adjuster probably did you a favor on this one... The damage while significant didn't look unrepairable, but the car would have to be torn down to look at the frame rails (the structural integrity being the real key here). While you can section and repair rails, the ultimate decision is how much of a head ache will this file become in the future...

There are numerous ways to total a car in insurance terms:

An actual total loss means the cost to repair the car exceeds the value of the vehicle in question

A constructive total loss means that the cost to repair the car+an 15-20% supplemental increase in repairs when it is torn a part for additional hidden damage and parts price increases etc, + the salvage value of the vehicle (usually very high on new cars, was probably 5-8k on your car alone), if it is a claimant vehicle, you also figure in the loss of use owed (how mush the opposing carrier spends paying for their rental car) while the car is being repaired, which on a large hit can be a very large tab. Those 3-4 factors are used against the cost of just cutting you a check and sending you down the road to never bother them again.

A structural total loss, can usually send it down the road with firewall or cabin floor damage... those r't fixers

obvious total losses, fires, fire department popped the top for extrication etc.

Just a little insight from someone who may or may not have sent countless cars to the recycler... "when in doubt, total out!"
Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

left passenger window open last night, watchin TV, sounded like a hurricane outside, some huge rain wind storm just came up, i said to wife , glad not driving.......went outside for work this morning, yes gets worse, was 30 degrees, ever see a ice cave, inside windshield was iced, but got dried out through out day, got warm stuck traffic ran floor heat full blast for hour, all good, lol
Old 12-01-2009, 08:43 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTJT2010
left passenger window open last night, watchin TV, sounded like a hurricane outside, some huge rain wind storm just came up, i said to wife , glad not driving.......went outside for work this morning, yes gets worse, was 30 degrees, ever see a ice cave, inside windshield was iced, but got dried out through out day, got warm stuck traffic ran floor heat full blast for hour, all good, lol

DOH!...
Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

My wife said she hates you.

Trade ya a perfect running, perfect body and perfect interior 1996 4-door Honda Civic for the 10'
Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Ron Burgundy

Good news. The insurance company is paying off my loan and giving me a check for $2,380. Now to cancel my warranty from the dealer and get my $1,200 back.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:19 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

glad everyone is unharmed... but i read this last week and wanted to thank you for the great laugh i had at your expense and poor judgement