Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Performance Seminars-Real World CAI testing

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM
SuperCJblack

Default Track Performance Seminars-Real World CAI testing

We will begin scheduling track testing days for the forum members across the United States in order to provide back to back, real world CAI performance comparisons.

Members will have an opportunity to install systems from most of the manufacturers at no charge in order to determine actual performance rather than rely on dyno sessions. We'll also have our engineers on hand to discuss design engineering and go over actual test data in many interesting categories.

We'll even provide food and product giveaways! These seminars will be a great learning experience and will provide a Try Before You Buy comparison rather than rolling the dice. It will be fun and informative.

Obviously, the people located in the northern U.S. will have to wait until early spring, but we can begin scheduling seminars in the south and west immediately.

We need feedback on the best locations throughout the regions and how many members would like to attend.

racing@r2cperformance.com
Old 11-15-2009, 03:04 PM
CammedMysticCobra
1st Gear Member

I think thats a great idea Iam hoping we will be able to test the 2010 Shelby GT500 and the new 2010 Gt. Iam in Miami and Homestead would be a great location for that. Iam also Nasa certyfied and have been racing my entire life.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Let me make sure I understand...

Instead of testing various CAI's in a controlled environment on a dyno where multiple pulls with the same engine/CAI WILL still typically yield non-repeatable results, you intend on using data based on multiple inexperienced drivers on multiple vehicles on the track? I guess all my engineering background must be tossed out the window since YOU feel that introducing many, many more variables into the mix will yield good results. I gotta hand it to you. That's one hell of a marketing ploy. Good for you!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
SuperCJblack

You're taking all of the fun out of this process!

I'm not at all certain what protocol would satisfy you based on your statement. Rather than question anyone's driving ability, I feel there are many good racers among your colleagues and forum members.

I remember the Chrysler drag seminars from the early 70's and how much fun the participants had. It was a great time and the information that was shared was a benefit. We really looked forward to attending.

We produce sophisticated, sever duty military filtration and intake systems and have done so decades. Our days consist of nothing but extensive testing such as CFD and evaluating performance data in our huge flow bench facility. Military design protocol is very effective but dull. We'll never discount sophisticated testing and we apply our military design disciplines to every performance/competition product we build. Our engineers enjoy getting out and spending time in an environment like this.

We'll support the Track Days with extensive dyno and lab test data regarding the systems and filters and augment that with on-track testing, which is certainly more fun that running on the dyno. Driver ability notwithstanding, how can we provide a more tangible benefit than improving on track performance? The same driving styles and techniques will be evident and implemented when they leave the track. You're fully aware that the speculation over dyno testing and the results are rampant, regardless of who performs the test and how independent they may be.

Back to back passes with various equipment changes has to account for something. I'm all for repeatable dyno testing, but it's vital that this performance benefit manifest itself in additional street/track performance. We've all seen dramatic peak power gains on a dyno that occur within a very narrow range and usually near the end of the power band. These gains tend not be as productive as a wider benefit that occurs at a more reasonable RPM level.

Think about the tactile and immediate feedback that end users would obtain such as under hood appearance, sound, installation and overall quality.

Plus, product giveaways, hats, t-shirts and free food and pop. How you beat that for a fun day?

Last edited by SuperCJblack; 11-16-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 AM
SuperCJblack

Cammed Mystic,

Can you discuss this with other members and Mustang owners in your area so that we can get a good group together. We can establish the best day as well.

Thanks,
R2C

Last edited by SuperCJblack; 11-16-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:08 PM
SuperCJblack

Duplicated the prior post.

Last edited by SuperCJblack; 11-16-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I don't doubt that it'll be fun. Matter of fact, it should be a blast. I was simply commenting (flaming?) about the validity of any test "results". Especially since a CAI is barely worth a darn on an S197 unless you're retuned for it. The S197 can only gulp so much air, no matter WHAT CAI you put on it. With that in mind, any tune-required CAI will provide equivalent performance gains against another.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:19 PM
SuperCJblack

Default Track Testing

You're right about intake consumption with regard to any fundamentally stock platform, however, we were pleasantly surprised with regard to bolt-on benefits without tuning. It was even better on the 4.0 V-6 in terms of percentage. The initial restriction among the factory Mustang systems can be reduced dramatically.

Also,the MAF sensor does have room and was in no way near peak regardless of what system we tested.

We're working on a race system that will have the capability of using a variety of MAF configurations with a very large volume tube. Initial testing has been positive.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:43 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Rarely will anything satisfy an engineer in the automotive aftermarket....:lol:

I do agree in a way. Although you will get users before and after thoughts
on a track IMO it will be less creditible than a dyno comparison.
Will be fun and I don't see a reason not to do it.

Have fun.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:44 PM
FreshPuck
1st Gear Member

Cool

feel free to send me any of your products - ill test them out and get back to ya asap...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Performance Seminars-Real World CAI testing