Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-glare HID headlight bulb coating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

They would have to of worked pretty hard to scrape the coating off...Like retro said why did they have them out anway?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:03 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Retrosolutions
I want to clear up the sort of incorrect definition of the coating, now repalced by our capping procedure, as an anti-glare function. It does not prevent glare, it instead blocks direct light emission through the top of the bulbs where OEM bulb covers do not exist (ie some 06 and all 07+ Mustangs).

The previous coating process has been replaced with a capping process that has the same benfits in function, with a lower cost, faster application, and increased durability.

East87- ask them to cover the cost of replacement for you due to their neglect.... not sure why they would need to take the bulbs out at all. If you need an invocie from us to submit to them just let us know.
Yeah, by glare I meant the light that is emitted through the front of the bulb that blinds other drivers.

As a result of someone hitting me while I was parked, the body shop had to replace the front fascia, so the grille had to come out. There was also some weird small green gasket loosely placed on the passenger side headlight bulb (passenger headlight housing had to be replaced). I know for a fact that the coating on the fog lights is totally gone. The coating on the headlights is intact.

**RetroSolutions, what are the hazards if the bulbs are touched by human hands? I know that the instructions stipulated that the HID's are not to be directly touched by human skin because the oils will damage them. In the midst of my busy life, I forgot to remind the body shop that they must take care when handling the HID bulbs, and I'm afraid that they mishandled the bulbs...I mean, they already scraped all the coating off my fogs. What kind of decrease in bulb life or other hazards am I facing due to mishandling of the bulbs? I'm trying to build my case to get them to replace my fogs, but without hard evidence (other than the coating being scraped off), I doubt I can demonstrate culpability adequate to require full bulb replacements...**
Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by East87
Yeah, by glare I meant the light that is emitted through the front of the bulb that blinds other drivers.

As a result of someone hitting me while I was parked, the body shop had to replace the front fascia, so the grille had to come out. There was also some weird small green gasket loosely placed on the passenger side headlight bulb (passenger headlight housing had to be replaced). I know for a fact that the coating on the fog lights is totally gone. The coating on the headlights is intact.

**RetroSolutions, what are the hazards if the bulbs are touched by human hands? I know that the instructions stipulated that the HID's are not to be directly touched by human skin because the oils will damage them. In the midst of my busy life, I forgot to remind the body shop that they must take care when handling the HID bulbs, and I'm afraid that they mishandled the bulbs...I mean, they already scraped all the coating off my fogs. What kind of decrease in bulb life or other hazards am I facing due to mishandling of the bulbs? I'm trying to build my case to get them to replace my fogs, but without hard evidence (other than the coating being scraped off), I doubt I can demonstrate culpability adequate to require full bulb replacements...**
If they have skin oils on them, som3 90%-93% isopropyl alcohol will clean them right off with a clean cotton towel. Not to worry!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

Two very important points need to be made here:

1) Most 2006, and all 2007+ Mustangs should not install HID kits into their lamps without purchasing from Retro-Solutions with the bulb capping service, there is nothing in those lamps to block directly emitted light through the bulb tops. They simply will blind other drivers like pointing a flashlight in someone's face at night, and no other manufacturer, vendor, or reseller is offering any coating or capping service.

2) There are only two companies in the US to provide real 55w (and/or 50w) HID kits in the US. One is Retro-Solutions, the other is exclusive to Ebay. All other companies advertising 50w/55w kits are offering 50w ballasts and overpowered 35w bulbs in a kit. This mismatching of generic equipment has its drawbacks, as indicated below.

35w bulb with 50w/55w ballast (most brands):
1) higher temperature output, may damage housings
2) higher arc position, equates to more glare
3) lower color temperature, K color decreases or "color wash-out"
4) reduced lifespan of the bulbs
5) reduced output, inefficiency leads to less than advertised output
6) internal pressure closer to maximum (~60-75w peak), explosion hazard

55w bulbs and 55w ballasts (like DIGITAL 55w brand from Retro-Solutions):
1) lower temperature, safe for housings, produces less than 55w halogen bulb
2) spaced cathodes, same arc position, no increase in glare
3) color correct specification, you order 5000k you get 5000k
4) bulb lifespan maintained
5) efficiency maintained, better efficiency in terms of output
6) internal peak pressure rating of bulbs is greater

Please be very careful in making your decisions, because vendors typically misrepresent their product or withold important information on purpose.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Cavero

Retrosolutions,
That bulb capping service...can I get just the caps? I ordered my H10 foglight kit from HIDGuy and found out the hard way that the new bulbs produce a hell of a lot of glare (unlike the headlights, no caps on the fogs). I was hoping to find a kit that can cut it down so I can use the fogs around other drivers, and so far you're the only vendor i've found. If I cant get the caps, I guess I could always try high temp paint...