Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion Gear Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

Still working on getting it out. I have already tried the punches and currently have completely beat up the old pinion nut beating it with my hammer. Definitely will try heat this evening as that seems to be close to my last option.

And I don't think anyone should fear this install. I'm mechanically inclined, but definitely not experienced. I think a lot of people out there are scared away by the thought of doing something like this, but as long as you take your time, ask questions when you need to, and stay positive then in the end you have something to be proud of and you've made it a positive learning experience.
Worst case scenario right now is that i have to get the car dollied to the shop and pay someone to finish off the install, but even if it comes to that I'm still way ahead. It's just my time I've invested and it's time well spent IMO!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

I learned a lot doing mine... not sure why your having so much trouble getting yours out I just hit it with a hammer a couple good times and it came off... mine's an 08 though... my install kit and my gears came with an extra pinion nut so just beat the hell out of the pinion gear with the old nut on there it should eventually pop off I would assume... good luck
Old 11-16-2009, 05:44 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

I don't remember it being hard to get out at all.
A couple of hits with a plastic hammer and it popped out the other end of the pumpkin and skidded across the floor...
Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I got toalked out of doing mine myself.... long story short, I worked side by side with the mechanic the third time, instructed him what he was doing wrong, rebuilt it with them, and now it is perfect, 0 whine or slop. I should have just bought the tools and done it myself.

Once you get that pinion nut off, theres nothing holding it in but the static resitance of that crush sleeve. Its gonna freak you out to do, but stand behind it, stop hitting it with your purse, use your man hands and a good size hammer, and give it some. Make sure no one is standing where it is likly to launch like a rocket across the room cause if it is stuck in there good, its gonna take a good wack to get get it out of there. Let us know!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

oh, i remember when i did my 4:10 install........rubber hammer= pinion flying
j
Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

Well SUCCESS! Holy %$*@ it took me close to three hours and I beat it with my 14oz hammer, my air hammer, and a hammer and punch. I'm no power lifter...but to make it go flying across the floor...?? Not sure how the eff you guys did it!!!

If you're doubting how hard I pounded...here are some photos of the old pinion nut and the new one! It's completely flattened...

Old 11-16-2009, 10:57 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

gratz!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Christ. Someone installed that thing with a welder, lol. How are you going to set your backlash?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:22 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
How are you going to set your backlash?

I reckon he's gunna use one of them doohickeys.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
Christ. Someone installed that thing with a welder, lol. How are you going to set your backlash?
A borrowed dial indicator to set the backlash.
I'll get to that later! Have to take the pinion in to the office and use the press to get the bearings off. Not my DD so she can sit in the garage patiently

Quick Reply: Pinion Gear Removal