Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fresh Mods Completed with LOTS of Pics!!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Fresh Mods Completed with LOTS of Pics!!!!

This is kinda long because I figured I'd do a mini write up for those of you out there thinking about installing the Roush spoiler. After doing this I'm so glad I didn't pay a shop $200 to drill a few holes and mount it. Once you use the center punch to mark the holes and drill the first hole all of the stress is gone and the whole process is done quickly after that. I would recommend having another set of hands around to help with some of the steps. My fiancee was my extra set of hands and she did a great job. I also installed Spectre Speed Reusable Air Filter. What do you guys think of my handy work? Thanks for reading!!

2010 GT Take Off Mufflers...

Picked Up

Prep Work Done...

2 Coats Of Primer

2 Coats of Rustoleum Rust Proof 2000 Degree Paint

Tape Removed...

Side By Side Comparison w/v6 Stock Muffler

I'll post more pics tomorrow when I get some sun...I'm very impressed with the difference in sound.

On to the next mod.....

Roush Spoiler Install - My Attempt at a mini walkthru
Stock Spoiler

Step #1 - Remove Stock Spoiler and Clean Rear Decklid(Use Goo Gone followed by good ol' soap & water)

Step #2 - This is optional, but I had a ton of water spots under my factory spoiler, so I used a Clay Bar after cleaning off the gunk(If you do this be sure to go over the area that was clayed with a wax of your choice to ensure paint is protected. I used Megs Quick Spray Wax and a soft microfiber towel)
Water Spots

Clay Bar Kit

After Using Clay Bar Kit

Step #3 - Cut Out Center Template and Align it using pre-existing holes. FWIW it won't be exactly centered using the holes, which is fine, because you will be widening the factory spoiler holes. Once you're happy tape the template down.

Step #4 - Cut Out the templates for the two side pieces and line them up using the center template as a guide. Once you are happy with placement secure in place with tape.

Step #5 - Once the templates are secure use a Automatic Center Punch to mark the center of the 10 holes to be drilled. now for the hard part....this will bring most of you to tears. This is why i don't have any pics of this part

Step #6 - Drilling Additional Mounting Holes
- Use 1/8" bit to start all holes(When drilling in the center be sure to go through the underlying support
- Center Spoiler Mounts - Widen all holes with a 7/16" bit
- Side Spoiler Mounts - Widen the 1/8" Holes with a 5/16" bit

Step #7 - Do a test fit to ensure everything is lining up properly and fits to your liking.(Tip - This helped me out later in the process. Instead of using a 5/16" bit for the sides I used a 7/16" bit so I could have room to adjust the sides. Doing this will give you a little wiggle room later for making adjustments prior to tightening everything down)

Step #8 - Assuming you are ok with the test fitting remove the templates and discard.

Step #9 - Apply Rust Inhibitor to all of the holes to prevent possible rusting of exposed metal

Step #10 - Apply tape and foam pads to underside of spoiler per Roush instructions(Center only shown)

Step #11 - Conduct another test fitting prior to removing tape backing. Once you are satisfied remove tape backing and lightly press center into place.

Step #12 - Per instructions place and tighten all nuts & bolts.

Step #13 - Step back and take some photos...admire the hard work and the tears you shed after drilling into your car!!!

Last edited by Topless Stang; 11-16-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:24 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

looks great, i think i may pick up that wing for christmas. I saw on here that someone else just cut off the bolts for the end pieces and just 3m taped them on so he didnt have to drill. But nothing risked is nothing gained. Are you gonna paint it or keep it black?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 AM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

nice job !!!! Its tuf drilling into ur baby ! just the sound is worse than the dentist ! LOL
Old 11-17-2009, 01:00 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eslhockey92g
looks great, i think i may pick up that wing for christmas. I saw on here that someone else just cut off the bolts for the end pieces and just 3m taped them on so he didnt have to drill. But nothing risked is nothing gained. Are you gonna paint it or keep it black?
Thanks. I read about people not drilling the holes, but for me it was a no brainer. I looked around for quite a few months before I decided on a spoiler and the Roush is by far the best one out there to me. Besides, I don't see myself ever getting rid of my stang so I'd rather drill the holes. I paid almost $400 for the spoiler...the last thing I want to do is look behind me on the highway and see it tumbling down the road As far as colors go I did get it painted. It's painted the same color as black mustangs, the factory color code in UA.

Originally Posted by whyask
nice job !!!! Its tuf drilling into ur baby ! just the sound is worse than the dentist ! LOL
Tell me about it....i was so worried...but after I bit the bullet and drilled the first hole it wasn't that bad.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

I think the black on white looks great. Black top and stripes, works well with the spoiler. Brave guy to drill into the body, but well done and great pics.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 AM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Great job! I painted my mufflers too. Made a huge difference. Highly recommended.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:18 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the compliments guys. It seems like the more I do to it the braver I get I looked around for walk throughs for installing this, but I didn't find any.....so I figured I try to take some pics of my process to help out anyone on the fence. It's a really simple install. As far as painting goes I'm hooked. I started by painting my bullets black and now I can't stop After looking under my car for the first time I decided I was going to paint most everything I replaced under there. I'll definitely be painting a new set of exhaust pipes when I switch out to duals. I'll also throw a coat or two on a new differential when the time comes.

I don't think I'll be doing anything else really...until spring gets closer. I need to winterize my car....oil change, cabin filter change, radiator flush, transmission fluid drain and fill & install a screamin demon w/livewires. Then I'll be taking a break to do more research and shopping....gotta love the internet!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless Stang
Step #8 - Assuming you are ok with the test fitting remove the templates and discard.
looks great and awesome write up....seeing all those drilled holes in the trunk of your car, looks like someone shot at you...LOL!!
Old 11-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
looks great and awesome write up....seeing all those drilled holes in the trunk of your car, looks like someone shot at you...LOL!!
Thanks! My fiancee thought it looked really crazy with all of those holes too.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:44 PM
GunMetalGT08
1st Gear Member

Hey great job it would have taken me a long time to put a hole in my car if i do this. Your car looks awesome post some pics of the whole car done.
great write up too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fresh Mods Completed with LOTS of Pics!!!!