Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me protect my ride :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:28 AM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Default Help me protect my ride :)

I just bought a '10 GT and love it!

The downside is that it has to be parked outside (I have no garage). For those of you that have to do or had to do the same, what are some tips to help me protect the car from the elements.

Is a cover enough?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Do you have a driveway where you can erect a car port type of cover? I've seen these for a few hundres $'s. They're made of aluminum pole construction with a very heavy gauge tarp type cover. Anything of that sort will at least keep the dew from forming every night. Otherwise, a good car cover is your only other option. For something that can withstand the elements and isn't too cumbersome, expect to pay in excess of $150 or $200. There are covers and there are GOOD covers. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:58 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Exactly what Nuke said...Im bout to invest in a car cover!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Dreamer1
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Sears has some good car ports..I'll probably be putting one on my sears card, soon after I get my ride.. Here is the one I'm looking at..

Sears Car Port!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I would also recommend paint protection. Apply a few layers of synthetic sealant to a clean vehicle surface. This will give you a phenomenal shine and protect you from the elements.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 PM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
I would also recommend paint protection. Apply a few layers of synthetic sealant to a clean vehicle surface. This will give you a phenomenal shine and protect you from the elements.
Where would I get this protectant and what is it called?

I wish I could use one of those car ports, but I currently live in a town house so my nieghbors would be really ticked with a carport right next to their parking space lol
Old 11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirDrums
Where would I get this protectant and what is it called?

I wish I could use one of those car ports, but I currently live in a town house so my nieghbors would be really ticked with a carport right next to their parking space lol
Check Autogeek.net. I'd recommend synthetic over carnuba wax as it lasts longer. I use Wolfgang Paint Sealant, purchased through Autogeek.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:58 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I can tell you from experience, Don't bother with a car cover. It's a complete waste of money, and a pain in the butt! I have had custom made car covers that were very good, very expensive, very breathable and the paint still suffered. The problem is that covers are just fine for light dew, but you can't leave it one if it rains. So are you prepared to be removing it every time it rains? It weighs a ton when it gets wet. I had one that was an all weather cover and advertised to be as good as a garage. Nope, the car still got wet and the dampness killed the paint. The best option is to use lots of waxes and sealers. This will protect your paint and allow water to roll off. This will allow the car and the paint to breath properly. I have had cars outside without covers that did better than those with covers.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 AM
cgm10gt

I'm going to say a good sealant over a wax..due to the longer protection time.

Last edited by cgm10gt; 11-19-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
I can tell you from experience, Don't bother with a car cover. It's a complete waste of money, and a pain in the butt! I have had custom made car covers that were very good, very expensive, very breathable and the paint still suffered. The problem is that covers are just fine for light dew, but you can't leave it one if it rains. So are you prepared to be removing it every time it rains? It weighs a ton when it gets wet. I had one that was an all weather cover and advertised to be as good as a garage. Nope, the car still got wet and the dampness killed the paint. The best option is to use lots of waxes and sealers. This will protect your paint and allow water to roll off. This will allow the car and the paint to breath properly. I have had cars outside without covers that did better than those with covers.
I don't know chronos, I've had my Mustang since Dec. '06 and I am using a car cover on it. Right now I can't get my car into our garage, so I had to do something to protect the paint from sun, rain, bird doo and cats from walking on it.
To this date, I have never had to wash my car.....of course I never drive it in the rain, but I do keep it clean and I put McGuire's #7 polish and McGuire's #27 High Tec Yellow wax. In between I use McGuire's Detailing Spray as well as a California Duster. Folks that see my car can't believe a car cover helps that much, but it does.
Yes, it is a pain to remove it when I drive it, but I don't mind when I fold it back and see the beautiful shine that lays underneath.
When it rains, I let it stay on the car unless we have a Nor'easter like we had last week.
After a storm, I take the cover off and lay it on my deck chairs to dry out and wipe my car down.
I say, if you don't have a garage or you can't get a car port, then you NEED to do something else besides sealant to protect the paint. Sealant will help, but what if a bird flies aimlessly over your car and lets loose? The sea lent will help, but if you are away at work and bird doo bakes from the hot sun, it may leave a nasty discoloration in your paint, not to mention a bite to get off.

If he does get a car cover you must always remember to wipe your car down every time you put the car cover back on. Other wise, you could get dirt and debris in the fabric.

Quick Reply: Help me protect my ride :)