Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this gear whine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:13 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

Oh ok lol
Old 11-18-2009, 10:19 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

The shop manager gave it to me in writing that he was going to hav the problem fixed..unfortunately I have to wait until after winter to do it. My only real concern with it now is, are they actually going to be able to do it. If they didn't do it right the first time, is it because the installer was lazy (didn't find out how to do it right, or take the time to do it right), or isn't capable (doesn't know how to do it right). If I have to I'll go down to Evolution Performance....it's like a 6 hour drive, but I know they'll do it right.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:50 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

usually once you give them a problem then they arent lazy and take their time to do it right cuz they know if after that if its not fixed youll be back again lol
Old 11-19-2009, 12:14 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Could you make a video of the whine? I'm curious what it sounds like.

I really want to have some 3.73's put in my auto but I'm afraid of all the horror stories.

Of course my exhaust is so damn loud I probably couldn't hear any whine anyway, LOL!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG

I really want to have some 3.73's put in my auto but I'm afraid of all the horror stories.

Of course my exhaust is so damn loud I probably couldn't hear any whine anyway, LOL!
also curious, i have some noises on decel with my stock 3.31s and i kinda wonder if its whine or just normal noises. If it is whine that makes a good reason to get some new ones
Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG

I wish I could describe the sound to you, but after being in a buddy's car that has had nothing but problems with his gears (still to this day, car is in the shop as I type this), I can tell you that you'll know. I heard his car whine on both acceleration and deceleration, when it was just in the beginning stages and when we thought the rear end was going to fall out.....needless to say, it's been a very bad ordeal for him....so bad, that he is just replacing the whole rear end assembly this time.

He is now at shop #4 (where it should have gone originally), been through (2) sets of gears, missed many days of work, and spent well over $1,500 (not including this time). All because the original shop that said they could do it was going to save him a few bucks upfront and could do it when he wanted it done.....

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
also curious, i have some noises on decel with my stock 3.31s and i kinda wonder if its whine or just normal noises. If it is whine that makes a good reason to get some new ones
Believe it or not, if the radios off and it's "somewhat" quiet inside the car, it's not uncommon to hear alittle bit of humming from the stock gears. It shouldn't be very loud, but just faint enough to hear.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Stock gears might whine a little. Depending on your year, you might hear the trans more. In 07 or 08 they added a big padded blanket in the tunnel so it makes the trans quieter.

I cant believe that many people cant get gears right, its not rocket science. I have no experience with whine because I havent messed up an install but I thought I heard if you get gear whine after an install and the gears wear in like that, that you will always have whine with them no matter what. I could be wrong but thats what I heard.

Strange that so many shops mess up gears, i guess you should talk to the shops before you get them to do work to make sure they know what they are talking about. Not sure what else you can even do to make sure you are getting it done right.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

ya its just a really loud humming noise, as 05 mustang said, youll know its whine. I had it after having a shop install 3.90s and it was LOUD on deceleration. So I took it back the next day and they said it shouldnt have any more whine since they are correcting it so soon. But they re-did everything and it was still there, a little quieter, but still there. So I said enough with this, Ill take it to Chicane and they said to just do 4.10s and they wont have a problem getting it right the first time. He did it perfect, so my advice is like 05 mustang said just take it to the best shop around when doing gears, or youll probably pay double (atleast) to take it somewhere else and have it done right.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:24 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
Stock gears might whine a little. Depending on your year, you might hear the trans more. In 07 or 08 they added a big padded blanket in the tunnel so it makes the trans quieter.

I cant believe that many people cant get gears right, its not rocket science. I have no experience with whine because I havent messed up an install but I thought I heard if you get gear whine after an install and the gears wear in like that, that you will always have whine with them no matter what. I could be wrong but thats what I heard.

Strange that so many shops mess up gears, i guess you should talk to the shops before you get them to do work to make sure they know what they are talking about. Not sure what else you can even do to make sure you are getting it done right.
I can definitely assure you that the shops that my buddy used were very quick to say they could do the work, and that they've done many gears in the past...apparently it was the "fine tuning" (shimming) that needed to be done afterwards to get it completely right that they couldn't do....or get right??

I think as far as the gears being reusable, it all depends on the initial install/set-up. If the gear whine isn't too bad and you get it fixed sooner than later, then the gears should be ok, but in some cases, like my buddy's, when it is installed/set-up completely wrong, you'll need new gears because the gears get a "pattern" worn into them that can never be fixed. My buddy's first set had to be replaced within the first week they were so bad.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by silverscmustang
ya its just a really loud humming noise, as 05 mustang said, youll know its whine. I had it after having a shop install 3.90s and it was LOUD on deceleration. So I took it back the next day and they said it shouldnt have any more whine since they are correcting it so soon. But they re-did everything and it was still there, a little quieter, but still there. So I said enough with this, Ill take it to Chicane and they said to just do 4.10s and they wont have a problem getting it right the first time. He did it perfect, so my advice is like 05 mustang said just take it to the best shop around when doing gears, or youll probably pay double (atleast) to take it somewhere else and have it done right.
Motives tend to whine. I wont do motive brand gears, only ford racing. So no 3.90s for me. Its too bad ford racing doesnt make that gear set.

Quick Reply: Is this gear whine?