MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   TSB 06-25-15 (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/574841-tsb-06-25-15-a.html)

Buckshot Barry 11-30-2009 11:02 PM

Hi Sandy,

I don't want to put my foot in my mouth by speculating, but I can provide you with the following:

My Job 2, January 16, 2007, Vista Blue Pony Package has very similar roughness under the front edge of the hood.

It's been there since day 1. I have just about been over every inch of this car that is visible, both outside and underneath with a crawler.

My Pony is at 701.4 miles (no typo) and has seen very little water and has never been washed with a hose (except maybe at the dealer for delivery). It has always been garaged and there isn't a condensation problem in this area of my home.

The TSB is dated Dec 11, 2006. I know my Pony has several Job 2 improvements, such as the spacers under the rear spoiler.

The exterior of my hood looks fine.

brunobluto 12-01-2009 03:34 AM

I thought body rust was covered for 100,000 miles under warranty? Drivetrain for 60,000 and bumper to bumper was 36,000. Is this correct? The underside lip of my hood is also bubbling up.

red07Pony 12-01-2009 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by brunobluto (Post 6665307)
I thought body rust was covered for 100,000 miles under warranty? Drivetrain for 60,000 and bumper to bumper was 36,000. Is this correct? The underside lip of my hood is also bubbling up.

See that's what sounds logical but technically it's not rust because the hood is aluminum. Now whether or not it's considered corrosion I don't know and that's the question and one Ford wants to avoid I'm sure. 3yr/36k bumper-bumper warranty definitely covers it. But me being at 46k I'm depending on that corrosion answer.....

red07Pony 12-01-2009 08:35 AM

Buckshot Barry....dude you need to get that pony out of the stable and let her stretch those legs!!!!!! Enjoy it.....you never know what tomorrow will bring.....

07 Stang 12-01-2009 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry (Post 6664899)
Hi Sandy,

I don't want to put my foot in my mouth by speculating, but I can provide you with the following:

My Job 2, January 16, 2007, Vista Blue Pony Package has very similar roughness under the front edge of the hood.

It's been there since day 1. I have just about been over every inch of this car that is visible, both outside and underneath with a crawler.

My Pony is at 701.4 miles (no typo) and has seen very little water and has never been washed with a hose (except maybe at the dealer for delivery). It has always been garaged and there isn't a condensation problem in this area of my home.

The TSB is dated Dec 11, 2006. I know my Pony has several Job 2 improvements, such as the spacers under the rear spoiler.

The exterior of my hood looks fine.

Run your had across the front edge and see if you feel anything. I've been noticing it but never thought anything of it until I read the TSB.
I could really see what was going on when I took a close up of it with my camera. It's hard to see it with the naked eye, but it's there. Under the hood, you can see the bubbles or what looks like where the two pieces of metal were welded together. That is a problem area too.

I rode by the Ford shop today......they still have my baby sitting outside! Geez, I took it in on Saturday like they asked and they haven't done a thing to it!
I'm going to call them in the morning to see how things are coming along.....which I already know the answer too! :(

07 Stang 12-01-2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by red07Pony (Post 6665444)
See that's what sounds logical but technically it's not rust because the hood is aluminum. Now whether or not it's considered corrosion I don't know and that's the question and one Ford wants to avoid I'm sure. 3yr/36k bumper-bumper warranty definitely covers it. But me being at 46k I'm depending on that corrosion answer.....

It's corrosion. Show them a copy of the TSB and that should be all you need to do.

red07Pony 12-01-2009 11:31 PM

I spoke with the service manager on the phone today and gave him the TSB number and he said he was going to contact their Ford rep one day this week and get back to me and if they need pictures then I can come in for that. I'll keep you posted...

p.s. He did tell me that he felt it shouldn't have anything to do with mileage but rather the age and he said being a 2007 it shouldn't be doing that. So maybe (cross my fingers) he's on my side.....

Buckshot Barry 12-01-2009 11:52 PM

Is there any possibility that the aluminum hood is folded over at the front and what appears to me to be welded or soldered back on to itself?

Maybe what we see is where excess solder was painted over.

I've also got some excess solder on the inside edge of the driver's rear wheel well that was painted over and I'll swear it was that way on delivery right off the truck.

FWIW, my Pony is so corrosion free that the edges of the front and rear disk brake rotors are rust free and painted. They look brand new. There is no rust on the drive shaft either.

http://www.mindspring.com/~buckshotb...lly%20here.jpg

I just love this picture. What the heck, here is another one. She's almost 3 years old!

http://www.mindspring.com/~buckshotb...ng%20weeks.jpg

07 Stang 12-02-2009 07:20 AM

According to all the posts, pictures as well as Ford officials, they say it is corrosion. I hate the thought of them having to sand blast a shiny hood that has no nicks or scratches, but I know it could pose a problem in the future.
For those who don't intend on keeping their Pony, I would say don't worry about it, but for those of us who bought it knowing we would be keeping it for a long haul should have something done.
The only other way to combat the issue is to replace the aluminum hood with an aftermarket fiberglass one. One of the Ford guys said that Cervinis had the best ones on the market.

Barry, you need to take that car out more often. It's not doing you any good having the car parked in the garage all the time. Plus you ain't getting any younger.....enjoy it while you can. I thought I was bad with only 6700 miles and here you are with only 700. I do enjoy driving it when I can.

07 Stang 12-02-2009 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by red07Pony (Post 6667169)
I spoke with the service manager on the phone today and gave him the TSB number and he said he was going to contact their Ford rep one day this week and get back to me and if they need pictures then I can come in for that. I'll keep you posted...

p.s. He did tell me that he felt it shouldn't have anything to do with mileage but rather the age and he said being a 2007 it shouldn't be doing that. So maybe (cross my fingers) he's on my side.....

It doesn't have anything to do with mileage (I only have 6700) it has to do with the metal being contaminated at the factory.
I agree, a 2007 shouldn't be corroding but if proper care wasn't taken at the point when the car was being assembled, these types of problems unfortunately show up.

More than likely, he will tell you to bring the car in for pictures. They have to send them to Ford to get permission to do the work.

Do keep us updated.