Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Need to Vent Regarding Hood Pins and "Professional" Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:39 PM
jvecero3
2nd Gear Member

Default Just Need to Vent Regarding Hood Pins and "Professional" Installation

Hey Everyone -

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I hope you don't mind if I just take a moment to vent...

I was giving my Mustang the once-over today and happened to notice that around my hood pins, the paint on my hood was starting to bubble. I immediately took it to the Ford dealership where I had purchased the car, and they told me that it was outside the realm of the warranty, because it was surrounding an aftermarket part. I didn't fight them too hard, because, in the back of my mind, I knew that they were right.

The color of my Mustang (Vapor), however, they cannot spot paint. They need to sand and repaint the entire hood. To the dealership's credit, though, they are offering to do it at cost ($400). I was told that there was reaction between the aluminum hood pins and the stainless steel hood that was not properly treated by the shop that I had purchased and had the hood pins installed from.

Now I have to go to the local place that installed them tomorrow morning and speak to them about a possible reimbursement to Ford to have the work done. The car was purchased a year and a half ago and the pins installed about a year ago.

Like I said, I just wanted to vent about the whole experience. To anyone who took the time to read this...I appreciate you "listening" to me vent.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

i listened, and im sorry bro, but you could upgrade to aftermarket hood now. at least their repainting it at cost, but honestley 400 seems high to be cot, correct me if im wrong... well good luck bro, i hope it all turns out good.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:50 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

yup. aftermarket hood time. composite materials don't corode so problem solved for the future as well.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:46 PM
jvecero3
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate you hearing me out. And I hear what you're saying about an after-market hood. I like the way myine is set up now, though. I could be persuaded, though. Any suggestions based on my pics?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Reaction from the pins and the hood? Never heard of such a thing. I installed my pins on my hood myself. (Hood Pin Install writeup in the how-to section) I never treated the hood, nor did I even repaint the bare metal from the drilled holes. Well that was over a year and a half ago and I still don't have any problems. Can you post some pics?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:32 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Trufiber has always been good to me.
www.trufiber.com
Old 11-27-2009, 11:34 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

If you want a job done right, then you have to do it yourself.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:50 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Thats a cool sig
Old 11-28-2009, 01:53 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

when I installed my pins, I made sure to treat all of the exposed areas with touch up paint...even though aluminum doesn't corrode in open air

but then again, I live withing a few hundred feet of the ocean and get lots of salt spray..and aluminum does corrode in salt water

how are they saying the corrosion occured from dis-similar metals? the striker plate is aluminum...the pin is SS steel...the latch pin is SS steel...shouldn't be any corrosion at all IMO
Old 11-28-2009, 01:53 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

Hey guy, I don't know who told you you can't do spot painting on Vapor....because you can. My car is vapor as well and I've had it spot painted....end up with a few scratches on the front bumper one day doing something I shouldn't have been...as well as a few chips in the hood from rocks and what not. Dealersip fixed it all for about $120...now you could never know anything happened.

Quick Reply: Just Need to Vent Regarding Hood Pins and "Professional" Installation