FRPP Hot Rod cams INSTALLED! - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

FRPP Hot Rod cams INSTALLED!

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

FRPP Hot Rod cams INSTALLED!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker View Post
Man I hate these cams, but congrats on the install none the less! I'm glad to see you got your little ordeal worked out as well
you and not liking lope... haha

SWEET MAN!!! I am so happy to see you didn't use the tools. I will probably shoot you over a couple questions here in a little bit. Also I'm calling JDM in the next couple hours to order my cams...
Old 11-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Intervention
3rd Gear Member

Finally got some cams eh?

I think you were the only one to waiver between cam choices more than me. I swear you jumped back and forth 10+ times. Glad you finally chose the FRPP's.

1. My idle does jump around a bit as well, same as you described
2. Datalog your cam angle if you could, I'd like some comparison to mine. Here are my results

We can see, that even though the tune is set to a MAX of 20, it will casually stray up to .8 degrees above.

3. What is your idle set at? I set mine at 600ish in the summer, and 900 in the winter. For some reason, my idle surges more in the cold, so I boost the idle in the winter to prevent stalls.

4, You NEED gears. Enough said

5. Custom tune would be greatly beneficial. Dyno Joe's email tune for example. On my car, on my dyno, made 10 less RWHP than my custom tune. Wish I never spent the 125 on that tune, IDK maybe it was because he PROMISED me 325RWHP from his tune. And when I confronted him, he essentially said, its an email tune... bad luck

Last edited by Intervention; 11-30-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Nice writeup and pics. Didn't realize you had 3.31's still. 3.73s would help a lot but a good dyno tune would probably nail those converter issues as well. Sounds good! If you need any other work done (gears etc) give Brian a call over at www.kyleautomotive.com. Should be in your neck of the woods. Great shop!

My idle jumped around as well. I have an autometer dpss tach/shiftlight an it would bounce up and down from 825-900.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 11-30-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:07 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Intervention View Post
Finally got some cams eh?

I think you were the only one to waiver between cam choices more than me. I swear you jumped back and forth 10+ times. Glad you finally chose the FRPP's.

LOL! Yeah I couldn't make up my mind there for a while.

I guess if I do a data log with my SCT X2 it will pick up the cam angles? Speaking of which, I wish SCT would start supporting 64 bit Windows. It's really annoying that my new notebook is 64bit and my main PC is 64bit and their drivers do not like that.

On my way home from work today, I think I'll load my Brenspeed tune back in (to avoid the flashing O/D light the bama tune is giving me in traffic) but set the idle in the options lower. When the trans starts freaking out like it did, the shift points were all fugged up. Turning off and restarting fixes it for a while....

I plan on 3.73 gears in the spring. These 3.31s are ok for now, but yes I need gears. I think a little looser TC would help too.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 11-30-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: edited...cuz I can. :D
Old 11-30-2009, 12:11 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz View Post
If you need any other work done (gears etc) give Brian a call over at www.kyleautomotive.com. Should be in your neck of the woods. Great shop!
Cool thanks for that. I wish they had a dyno, lol!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron View Post
any plans to dyno tune?

is there a tuner in your area, that
can come through if all else fails?

YES! Here: http://www.hendersonperformance.com/

I'm going to give my email tunes a little while longer, but I'm going there sooner or later. The only thing that sucks is the price of dyno tunes. Since I have cams, it looks like $500. BAH! But, it's either that or a car that runs fukked.

It's not like my tunes are completely un-drivable. It's only a few little things but they sure are annoying things. For the most part it drives well (except when the O/D light flashes, lol).

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 11-30-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I read on another board that Doug @ Bama knows about the coasting and O/D light issue and supposedly has a fix. Man I hope so.

It was weird b/c at first it seemed that the trans was refusing to shift out of what ever gear it was in, 1st or 2nd, not sure. It wasn't until I kind of nailed it getting just past 3K that it finally shifted. After that though, it seemed to shift somewhat ok.

It's times like this that I'm back wishing I bought a manual, lol.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:49 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

[QUOTE=SirKnightTG;6663178]

I'm going to give my email tunes a little while longer

completely understandable....who knows maybe doug
can eliminate all of these minor issues, it's worth a try.

Since I have cams, it looks like $500. BAH! But, it's either that or a car that runs fukked.

that's what my dyno tuning cost me.....i think it was worth
every penny.

It's not like my tunes are completely un-drivable. It's only a few little things but they sure are annoying things.

you are preaching to the choir there! been there lol.....

[QUOTE]
Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Jer5757
1st Gear Member

Congrats on your new cams and keep us posted on how it all works out i am gonna b getting cams soon and would like to know how every thing goes when ur done figuring out all the lil problems
Old 11-30-2009, 09:01 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Update!

My Brenspeed tune is fine it turns out. Brent (I think it was him) told me the reasons why it's acting the way it is and now it all makes sense. I lowered the drive idle myself to 750 (they set it to 950) and it's MUCH better. It lopes while in gear and performs perfectly. This tune is actually spot on I think (well, I dunno about A/F yet).

Here's is what he told me:

We target 950 rpm in drive. You can change that with the tuner itself with little to no difficulty. I can walk you through this on the phone as well when you are with the car. We have seen the majority of the cars wanting to stall if we run a lower rpm. If you take it as low as you want and you do not see an issue can make that change to the tune. We can attempt to lower the startup flash, but again it is there to heat up the catts, and the combustion chamber to combat misfire. We do not recommend a change there either but I definitely can try an adjustment to cater to you the best we can. We have Throttle decay as fast as we can make it. The cams create some issues with "throttle dip" which can lead to a stall.
So while I still want the startup rpm to be lowered a little, everything else makes sense and makes the car drive-able. I loaded the Brenspeed tune before I left work w/ the new idle and I had no problems and the car drove at least as good as stock (with the additional top end power of course). It never dipped real low making the car stall or act weird, no O/D light flashing (although the traffic was nothing like it was this morning) and over all felt powerful and good. I was overly harsh on my initial impression that I now see in hind-sight was totally wrong and a "WTF was I thinking?" moment. I will edit my original post about that.

The bama tune just needs the hunting idle to be fixed and it should be fine. I think that's the reason for my flashing O/D light and trans acting goofy.

I also must retract my statement about a loss of low end. I forgot earlier, but now I remember that with my bama tune I always had a weak low end in O/D for some reason. My brenspeed tune is MUCH stronger in the low end and in O/D and I was reminded by that today when I came home w/ the brenspeed tune. So while lower gears will of course help, 3.31 is perfectly fine with hot rods and feel like stock if the tune is good and Brenspeed will deliver on the tune.

So now I'm not so paranoid about the tune, I will put off the dyno tune even farther. What I'll do in the mean time is buy a wideband AF and data log as much as I can and send that info to Brenspeed and Bama. That should get me close enough for a while.

Now I can say that with my Brenspeed tune w/ a more decent drive idle, I'm finally 100% happy with the whole thing and can stop worrying about it. I _almost_ considered putting the stock cams back in if I could not be satisfied with the tuning. But I am now so to hell with that thought, lol!

Oh also, on the way home with my freshly loaded Brenspeed tune, going through city and highway, I got up to 21.5 MPG average. That's awesome b/c that's about what I normally got before the cams and it may go higher since I have not given the PCM enough time to properly learn my driving habits to adjust fuel trims. It went higher after a few days when I installed my headers so I don't see why it wouldn't now.

I still need to get on a dyno for a few pulls to determine about what my power is. It would be interesting to know. At least to see what the curves look like which is more important than the actual peak numbers alone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FRPP Hot Rod cams INSTALLED!

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.