Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with a rear metallic rattle.....hope this works for you

Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Default For those with a rear metallic rattle.....hope this works for you

After months of an insanely annoying rattle coming from the rear of my car. I finally fixed it today. I tried everyone else's suggestions on here and nothing worked. It seemed like there were a ton of people who couldn't track it down either......i hope this works for you as well.

I'll explain my syptoms in case someone else has the same prob. My symptom was a high pitched metallic rattle that occured during acceleration. At times it was like a whistle, and at time it sounded like nails on a chalkboard. It was definitely coming from the rear and sounded like it was in the rear speaker deck, or trunk. It got much louder with the seats down. It didn't change or get worse on bumpy roads or turns. didn't do it at idle, or just when reving. i checked the normal exhaust problems......heat shields, exhaust hangers hitting the frame, etc to no avail.

I found the problem by accident when trying to remove the carpet liner to look under it. The problem was caused by a loose metal bracket that one of the cheap plastic push pins goes into to secure the carpet. It was the very top pushpin on the side of the trunk, just inside the rim of the trunk opening. If you remove the plastic pin, and pull the carpet back, you notice that the pin goes into a metal clip that is supposed to be securely clamped to the metal wall of the trunk. My clip had come slightly loose and was rattling vigorously against the metal it was clamped to.

I assume that you can secure it back, or insulate it somehow, but i just ripped the b**** out so i don't have to deal with it again. I even did the other side for good measure. The carpet stays put just fine.

QUIET AS CAN BE ONCE AGAIN!!

Oh, and thanks to whoever's trunk pic i stole!!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

good to see you found it. now you can rest easy.
i'll try this on my dad's GT, has a slight rattle from the back.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Hmmm I wonder if this could be the problem with mine. I've had a rattle coming out the back for as long as I can remember. Sounds like metal tapping on glass.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:40 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

hope it works for you guys. let us know
Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 PM
68ss350
2nd Gear Member

i have a similar rattle from that same part buy mine is not too bad, however i have an insanely annoying rattle from the trunk which i have located. My buddy drove the car as i rode in the trunk searching for the rattle... comes to find out in the sheet metal where the rear speakers are place (rear deck i guess..) there is one bolt on each the passenger and driver side. The rattle is coming from the bolt on the driver side. This bolt cannot be accessed however, you can only see the pertruding threads from the bottom side, the top of the bolt is in between two pieces of sheet metal. I have no idea how to fix this PITA, maybe someone has had similar exp with this.... Didn't mean to jack your thread but this is annoying!!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:04 PM
68ss350
2nd Gear Member

bump..
Old 02-08-2010, 07:50 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by harraid5711
After months of an insanely annoying rattle coming from the rear of my car. I finally fixed it today. I tried everyone else's suggestions on here and nothing worked. It seemed like there were a ton of people who couldn't track it down either......i hope this works for you as well.

I'll explain my syptoms in case someone else has the same prob. My symptom was a high pitched metallic rattle that occured during acceleration. At times it was like a whistle, and at time it sounded like nails on a chalkboard. It was definitely coming from the rear and sounded like it was in the rear speaker deck, or trunk. It got much louder with the seats down. It didn't change or get worse on bumpy roads or turns. didn't do it at idle, or just when reving. i checked the normal exhaust problems......heat shields, exhaust hangers hitting the frame, etc to no avail.

I found the problem by accident when trying to remove the carpet liner to look under it. The problem was caused by a loose metal bracket that one of the cheap plastic push pins goes into to secure the carpet. It was the very top pushpin on the side of the trunk, just inside the rim of the trunk opening. If you remove the plastic pin, and pull the carpet back, you notice that the pin goes into a metal clip that is supposed to be securely clamped to the metal wall of the trunk. My clip had come slightly loose and was rattling vigorously against the metal it was clamped to.

I assume that you can secure it back, or insulate it somehow, but i just ripped the b**** out so i don't have to deal with it again. I even did the other side for good measure. The carpet stays put just fine.

QUIET AS CAN BE ONCE AGAIN!!

Oh, and thanks to whoever's trunk pic i stole!!
im having a rattle issue as well, its driving me nuts,ive looked everywhere under the car and im pretty sure its coming from the trunk. the metal fastner your talking about had a plastic push clip?? mine has a bolt in it!

Originally Posted by 68ss350
i have a similar rattle from that same part buy mine is not too bad, however i have an insanely annoying rattle from the trunk which i have located. My buddy drove the car as i rode in the trunk searching for the rattle... comes to find out in the sheet metal where the rear speakers are place (rear deck i guess..) there is one bolt on each the passenger and driver side. The rattle is coming from the bolt on the driver side. This bolt cannot be accessed however, you can only see the pertruding threads from the bottom side, the top of the bolt is in between two pieces of sheet metal. I have no idea how to fix this PITA, maybe someone has had similar exp with this.... Didn't mean to jack your thread but this is annoying!!

any luck with this? this may be my issue as well,i havnt narrowed it down yet,you have a picture of the bolt?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 PM
07VistaChicago
2nd Gear Member

Maybe if you can access in between the sheet metal and shoot some silicone or a small amount of great stuff in there to tighten things up?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:01 PM
68ss350
2nd Gear Member

hey guys.... ya i'll get a pic tomorrow! thanks for your input
Old 02-09-2010, 10:07 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

I have a slight rattle that seems to come from the front left side. Might be motor mount, but also could be exaust, or something else loose. Anybody have this rattle, sounds like the sound you get when a bolt from the engine vibrates on the frame. It happens mostly on cold weather, at idle only.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those with a rear metallic rattle.....hope this works for you