Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else notice this about your tires?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:20 AM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone else notice this about your tires?

My 2010 GT came with the PIRELLI tires on 19" wheels. As the weather here in upstate NY has gotten colder I have noticed a large decrease in traction with them. As the temps have lowered into the 40s and high 30s the rear end is loosing grip around corners at much lower speeds. Plus without even trying (really) it is easier to get the wheels to spin from a stop. These suppose to be all season tires but you can't prove that by me. I am hoping I don't have to drive my Stang in snow!

Joe
Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 AM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

I'm not surprised to be honest. I'm taking delivery on a 2010 in the next few weeks hopefully when it arrives from the factory, and I'm going basically from the dealership to my tire guy and swapping for true winter tires.

There is no all-season tire that will have the same level of grip in the colder conditions and in the hotter summer conditions. With the 19's you'll also have a shorter sidewall, which means its going to flex less and as the temperature becomes colder, won't be able to adapt to the road changes as well either.

If you really want good cold weather traction, either a really well made set of all-seasons or goto a smaller wheel and get a good set of dedicated winter tires. You will need a narrower contact patch with a higher sidewall when snow starts coming down.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 AM
wise_jonny
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jasezero
I'm not surprised to be honest. I'm taking delivery on a 2010 in the next few weeks hopefully when it arrives from the factory, and I'm going basically from the dealership to my tire guy and swapping for true winter tires.

There is no all-season tire that will have the same level of grip in the colder conditions and in the hotter summer conditions. With the 19's you'll also have a shorter sidewall, which means its going to flex less and as the temperature becomes colder, won't be able to adapt to the road changes as well either.

If you really want good cold weather traction, either a really well made set of all-seasons or goto a smaller wheel and get a good set of dedicated winter tires. You will need a narrower contact patch with a higher sidewall when snow starts coming down.
+1 agreed. I have the all season right now but from what i've read and I've heard is that Winter tires is the only way to go. They say the all season is the jack of all trades but master of none. I would be very careful if/when it snows with all season. Esp if your in NJ, the roads are horrible
Old 12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

All season tires are a joke. If you want to be sure-footed, put 4 dedicated snow tires on. No dealer is going to swap tires for you with anything decent.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:33 AM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wise_jonny
+1 agreed. I have the all season right now but from what i've read and I've heard is that Winter tires is the only way to go. They say the all season is the jack of all trades but master of none. I would be very careful if/when it snows with all season. Esp if your in NJ, the roads are horrible
On top of the awful roads, the drivers are even worse. No one knows how to drive in bad weather here for some reason. It's not like it never snows or anything. The other reason I know I need to swap tires is because the TrackPack comes with summer tires. Theres no way I'm driving around in the middle of winter with 40 profile summer tires.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:58 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Joe

Do yourself a BIG favor and check e-bay and tire rack for wheels & snows. $1200 will be well spent.

I found 2010 Ford/Mustang 18" wheels and TPMS sensors for about $100 each corner.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:52 PM
jha1223

I noticed the same thing. I just got my '08 (11k miles) and it has the factory 17's on it. All season my ***. I had plans to do a CAI and tune and think I'll put both of those after tread. This stock tread is crap. If I get on it at all anywhere in first gear, I'm all over the place.

I was thinking I need to get some good spring/summer tires (this was before I got the car). Now I'm realizing winter tires first, then summer tires. $2-3,000 before getting to the fun addons

Now to find some decent priced winter tires and start saving for spring / summer tread.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Pony123
2nd Gear Member

ITS CALLED !!! cold road + cold tires = no traction
Old 12-02-2009, 03:20 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

I installed brand new Bridgestone re050 pole position summer tires when i bought new wheels. They grip alot better. Of course they are wider but the difference is surprising noticeable. If you want a real tire switch to Bridgestones... and when it comes to snow i just drive my 4x4...lol

Last edited by dominant1; 12-02-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:35 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

All seasons are awful, it is my opinion that they call them all seasons if they can make it through the winter without cracking or getting ruined by the cold. With my Summer Nitto's I have a tough time spinning the tires, with all seasons I can spin through second, and if it is cold or wet they will spin all day long. Just gotta be easy on the throttle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else notice this about your tires?