Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 05:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Lighted Door Sills.... Long and informative install with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Sunfire186

I am curious as to whether it is possible to tie it into the Ambient Lighting option.

The other thing I am curious about is, do the sills still light up if the car is not on? I want these, but I want them to be lit up while I am getting in or out of the car, but if they are only on while the engine is turning, then it seems a little unnecessary. I really would like these though! I know AmericanMuscle has some that say MustangGT.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:48 PM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

I have the CDC ones that say MustangGT. They tie into the My Color, but if you dont have it, you can pick one color. They also hook into the dome light wiring so they aren't on when the doors are closed or car is off.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

pics? To follow up I never bought them...neither the vendors I contacted could give me a straight answer nor did I want to try the wiring...You'd think they'd make a plug and play? Then there's mycolor, no mycolor, 05-09, 10-??...what started out as a good idea became to complicated too quickly
Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

i never thought to take pics of the connector before installing. here is the black/white install instructions with pics: http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/...53304-manu.pdf
and steps on how to hook up to both my color and dome light (i had to do dome light)
Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 AM
tezz

does anyone know if the tap wire colors the same for 2013? I bought mine as Roush pull offs and they didn't come with instructions....
Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 PM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tezz
does anyone know if the tap wire colors the same for 2013? I bought mine as Roush pull offs and they didn't come with instructions....
According to the instructions in the post before yours, it's black/yellow for the ground and yellow/green for the power.

On a related note, is it possible to pick these wires up down in/near the smart junction box? If so, where physically are they located? I'd prefer to wire it in there so I'm not pulling trim pieces if I don't absolutely have to.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:45 AM
tezz

thanks for pointing that out - the pdf was too small to see on my phone.
The A arm plastic comes off relatively easy - I routed my Radar Detector through there. The kick panel I haven't tried yet....
I'm kinda surprised there aren't wires to pick up off in the loom of wires that already passes thru under the sill.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 AM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

I'm sure there's power running through under the sill, but it's probably not on the same circuit as the dome/map lights. So it might be always on, or on when the car is running. The map light circuit is better for this, in my opinion, since you only need these on when the map lights are on (like when the door is open).

Regarding the kick panel, maybe you wouldn't have to pop it at all if you use a fish tape. You don't have that far to go, so it is probably just as easy.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 AM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

I ended up doing this yesterday on mine. Black/yellow and yellow/green are correct on the 2014. The kick panel pops off really easily on the passenger's side. I didn't bother popping it on the driver's side - I just pushed the wires up under it.

My car doesn't have the mycolor package, but I found that if you combine two of the wires you can get a light blue that is the same as the dash.

The only trouble I had was in removing the stock sills. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but like half the clips broke. I had to pull what was left of the clips out of the holes with needle-nose pliers.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 PM
tezz

Which wires did you combine to get the blue light? Doing mine tomorrow...

Quick Reply: Lighted Door Sills.... Long and informative install with pics!